cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High Attenuation & High SNR = continued confusion

lexusuk
Grafter

Re: High Attenuation & High SNR = continued confusion

I suspect that your line speed profile has been lowered on the BT side due to the large number of disconnections. I think we aren't seeing that change on our testing tool yet as it can take 24 hours between updates.  Either way your speed should return to normal following 72 hours of stable connection.
Let me know if you would like us to take a second look.
Dexter619
Dabbler

Okay thank you. It has seemed to have settled for the mean time at around 1800kb/s but will keep an eye and keep taking tests throughout the next couple of days Smiley
Thank you for your help
Declan
Dexter619
Dabbler

Hi again
The speed I seem to getting is a stable 1650 to 1880kbps and is a much increased speed over 1100 or even less so thank you again for sorting the SNR out.
Another question is that I've just been around to the neighbours as we live in a courtyard with the BT manhole with all the telephone wiring and connections in there for all 4 properties, and 2 of the neighbours are also on PlusNet but both are getting or were at the time of testing at least 2500/2600kbps.
I don't know if you can test this but everywhere I look the line speed is a maximum of 2mb and line profile speed at 2mb but I presume their sync speed is around 3mb? I'm only querying due to them being on exactly the same line and route to the local exchange and such different speeds.
I had changed routers and used the master and test socket in the past with no differences in speed.
lexusuk
Grafter

Although a group of lines may be similar in length and take the same routing to the exchange it remains true that each line is an individual pair of copper cables to the exchange.  Broadband speed in the end comes down to quality of the copper pair you happen to have been assigned.  As the quality of each line is variable the maximum stable speed for each line is variable.  This accounts for the difference in speed say between two neighbours who have line lengths that are the same with the same routing to the exchange.
Mathias
Grafter

A question relating to that last point from Alex.
Can an engineer be requested to investigate the quality of an individuals line and replace if necessary, or are you stuck with whatever you happen to get? If so would a charge be issued for this?
lexusuk
Grafter

When a line is provisioned, during the first 10 days training period the maximum stable rate (MSR) is calculated by DLM but it also assigns a fault threshold rate (FTR) too.  If your line sync speed (at the test socket) ever drops below the FTR then this is classed as a fault and is an engineer visit to fix.  We could still book an engineer if the sync rate is above FTR.  We'd only ever do this however if we had strong grounds to suspect a line fault as there is a chance that the visit would be chargeable.
Dexter619
Dabbler

Okay I understand what you are saying with that explanation.
Is it possible for the IP profile to be increased any higher than 2000kbps or is that stuck there until the line maximum increases again? Because the maximum keeps going up and why it wasn't the maximum earlier as the line is still the same and no updates to the exchange for years.
lexusuk
Grafter

At your current sync rate your IP profile is due to increase to 2500kbps.  You will need to maintain a stable connection for a period of 72 hours for this to go through.  Your current session time is just over 20 hours.
Dexter619
Dabbler

Ahh my apologies. Thank you for letting me know Smiley
maximod
Grafter

Alex,
Talking about fault threshold rates.
When i changed over to dslmax,the second day in to the 10 day training period,we had thunder and lightening here and sent my sync down !
Now what i need to know is has this set my fault threshold rate at a unusually low level ?
Is there any way to find what this level has been set to ?
Paul.
lexusuk
Grafter

Hi maximod,
The FTR for your line is 1817kbps.
maximod
Grafter

Hi Alex,
Thank you for the information.
Just wondering,do you have the FTR on record at Plusnet ,or did you request it from BT ,and is that a static value or can it change ?
Thanks,
Paul.
lexusuk
Grafter

When we check the sync rate of your line (via BT fault diagnostics) it will show the FTR.  The value is static unless we request a line reset/retrain often referred to as an SNR reset.  This is a restart of the 10 day training period for your line and during this process the FTR will be re-calculated.
Dexter619
Dabbler

Hello again
I waited for the 72 hour period to pass but hours before it was over the connection was lost for probably no more than seconds.. but due to this I presume it has stopped the ip profile going upto 2500kb/s as on bt speedtester it's still telling me 2000kb/s.
Is there anything I can do because since it has reset but only after it has passed nearly 2 days connected... :S I would hope the extra profile speed would make a difference as one minute it's so close to 72 hours and next minute it's disconnected and reconnected again Sad
Thanks,  Declan
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Alex
Although a group of lines may be similar in length and take the same routing to the exchange it remains true that each line is an individual pair of copper cables to the exchange.  Broadband speed in the end comes down to quality of the copper pair you happen to have been assigned.  As the quality of each line is variable the maximum stable speed for each line is variable.  This accounts for the difference in speed say between two neighbours who have line lengths that are the same with the same routing to the exchange.

Does this mean if a BT engineer should be called and if no fault found  will PlusNet pick up the bill?  After all PlusNet  said the line faulty/ operating below an acceptable performance.
Puddy