cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hideously slow broadband

FIXED
roster0660

Hideously slow broadband

For how long do I need to put up with a Broadbad speed of less than 2Mbps!! Changed the microfilter, phone line is fine, router is plugged into master socket & free from obstruction but speed tests (only have tablet & mobile phone) have shown less than 2Mbps for over 2 weeks despite being told adaptions had been made to my line.

My TV is hard wired to the router via an ethernet cable & even that connection drops out at least 3 times in an evening. I have undertaken all the self fixes recommended but do not have another router with which to test. it's getting beyond a joke (I've seen another thread on here complaining about 7.5Mbps - oh the joy of a speed that slow)

I'm sorry for the flippancy but I'm paying for a better speed than 0.8Mbps?? That was the last speed test. Live Chat appears to be down also & I've been on hold far too long - hence pouring out a bit frustration on here too.

Any ideas please?

3 REPLIES 3
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Hideously slow broadband

Hi there, sorry to hear you're having speed issues. Checking your connection this side I have instantly seen your signal strength is set too low for your connection resulting in intermittent errored seconds and would explain the issue your having on the wired TV. I have since placed an order to up your signal strength to where it should be and seen this complete so if you could turn the router off and on your side hopefully we'll see improvements.

It may be this was the cause of the lower speeds you've been seeing overall however low signal strength usually results in intermittent speed issues so I'm not fully convinced. I'm leaning towards the wireless connection causing the constant low speeds then and instead of us asking for you to do a wired speed test, given you have no wired devices that can do so I recommend we just go down the route of tweaking your wireless to best suite the property and hopefully get around what's causing the interference.

The guide below will show you how to log into the router and change the wireless channel as it's usually another router in the area on the same or similar channel that will be causing issues for both wireless frequencies. Before picking a channel I'd suggest downloading a free app called wifi analyzer which will scan your area for all the routers and show what channels they are on between 1-13. Although the above app isn't essential it helps you pick where your router would be best in terms of channels and saves a lot of time doing it via trial and error.

1) To connect to your Plusnet Hub Zero, you will need to open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.254

If you have any issues doing this via Wireless, we recommend trying to do it via Ethernet cable instead.

2) Once you are connected, you will see the option that says 'Wi-Fi Network' with the name of your network followed by the 'Settings' button.

3) Please select 'Settings' and you will be asked to log in with the 'Router Password'. This password is found on the bottom of the router and is case sensitive. This password can also be found on the plastic card that came with the router.

4) The Channel is the key option that we need to look for, If this is on Auto then we will want to change this to one of the 13 channels listed on the drop down menu. This stage is all down to trial and error to find the best channel for you.

If we are experiencing issues on wireless, then it is recommended to change this to one of the 13 channels listed.

When you have changed the wireless channel, we suggest trying it for 3-4 hours to see if the issue persists before trying another channel.

Let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,

Ben

roster0660

Thanks for the prompt reply - speed now at 15Mbps without having to change router channels. I'll give it a few hours to see if it remains stable then press the "fixed" button. Thank you

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Fix

Glad to hear it!

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team