cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi-tech Broadband

deekay
Grafter

Hi-tech Broadband

This is not a complaint, just an observation.
If one's broadband is working, all is well and one can just 'use' it. However, any problem and the customer is expected to instantly turn into a highly qualified networking engineer.  Sad
Reading through the posts of the last few days, we are told to do such things as:
Change your juniper number. (The only juniper I know of is a tree. I have zero of them in my garden and don't intend to plant any!).
Change your MTU, change your profile, change to a different thin film client, tweak your RWIN, set the dslam port, and so on. All of these things are just gobbledegook to me and, I suspect, millions of other broadband users.
Then we are told that our router should be left on permanently. We are also told that it should be switched off.
Following on from the above, I've had a broadband problem for weeks, but am 'living' with it rather than reporting it.
If I do report it, I suspect that I will be told to try some, or all, of the things I have mentioned (which I wouldn't have a clue how to do). I'd be told to try another router. This would mean spending about fifty pounds buying one. Then I would be told to take my heavy desktop computer downstairs and plug the router (no wifi here) into the master socket. As I have back problems, this is a major undertaking. Still the same? Pay for a BT engineer to come and do some tests! I realise these are BT requirements, not Plusnet ones, but they do make life difficult.
Must get off my soapbox now. I've only borrowed it and Tescos want it back.  Cheesy
Keith
6 REPLIES 6
nadger
Rising Star

Re: Hi-tech Broadband

When I first got broadband back in March 2002 it was described as a wires only service and one had to solve ones hardware/internal wiring/operating system oneself.
Ok - it was easier as there was only 512k and  a green usb modem.
Perhaps the early takers were a bit more computer savvy but the level of support you can receive is greatly improved these days.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
I think that this is actually quite an interesting discussion and there are a number of points that I agree with.
Are BT (and therefore additionally service providers) expecting broadband users to go through an unfair amount of checks on a broadband connection to get it to work or to improve the speed of their connections?  Possibly.  There are some methods to improving speeds that I don’t fully understand and I know a fair amount about the IPStream Max service!
One thing we do have to consider however, is that this is a wires only self install product.  This essentially means in many instances that you plug it in and are expected to play a large part in the maintenance of the product otherwise potential charges would be raised by BT (the £144+VAT SFI charge).
Now, this is where your choice of service provider proves crucial.  It is the responsibility of us to help you understand the product that you have signed up for, how you can fix faults and what you can do to tweak things to offer the optimal service.  That’s where our Customer Support Centre comes in and also the value of this forum.  How many times do we see people learning new things from asking questions in here?  I’m absolutely certain that I’ve lost count.
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Keith,
I am like you in my computer knowledge but always willing and keen to learn more.
Recently, as a result of asking on the forums how to check which 'gateway' I am on I received a reply with the information. I was also informed how to change to a different gateway.
Also, I had a speed issue which I raised on the forums.  A very knowledgeable contributor talked me through how to change my MTU and RWIN.  Although I didn't fully understand what I was doing I changed the levels and ended up with a faster speed than previously.  I also learned something in the process.
Since being with PlusNet I have been very impressed at the willingness of forum members to offer advice and to talk me through any difficulties I have encountered.
Don't be put off with the technical language, post your query and you will be pleasantly surprised at the help you receive.
artmo.
nadger
Rising Star

There's no doubt, in my mind, that broadband  has become more complicated over the years.
There are, as you point out, always people prepared to help others and there's no need to be frightened of asking a question.
netreg
Grafter

in recently joing PN from pipex, i would also like to add that the support here is far far superior that that of pipex.
Yes there will be technical terms and procedures that need to be learnt but it is all done with the best intentions..  as the other have said, if you don't understand anything, just ask for clarification..  someone will eventually help you...
regards
Not applicable

Keith - how right you are.  When I first had broadband (only last year), I managed to get connected using the Voyager 105/USB connection and thought that there was nothing more to it. Then I went wireless with Vista and that was a whole new learning curve which has caused a few headaches. I am grateful that Plusnet has provided me with a very good connection although it was improved markedly after discussing the matter at the open day this year.  I often wonder if there are customers out there who could be doing better speed-wise but who don't ask for help, particularly due to the complexity of it.  I pick up bits and pieces from these forums but sometimes my head gets in a spin!
With regards to the CS staff, they are the reason why I wouldn't go for a cheaper broadband service - they have always been very helpful and courteous.