cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, my broadband speed went from 4-5M to 1-1.5M about two weeks ago.

andyram

Hi, my broadband speed went from 4-5M to 1-1.5M about two weeks ago.

Hi

Nothing has changed my end but it is unusable now. can you help?

thanks

Andrew

29 REPLIES 29
Rossco72
Dabbler

Re: Hi, my broadband speed went from 4-5M to 1-1.5M about two weeks ago.

A number of us in the same boat Andy. Sorry to hear you are yet another sufferer.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@andyram

Your line has been very stable:

The errors on the line and the line stats look good, with the exception of the sync speed which is lower than I'd expect.

First step I'd suggest is a single disconnect and reconnect of the router to see if that kicks the sync speed back.

@Rossco72

I understand your speeds have dropped, however the reasons for this may be completely different to the other threads you've posted on and unfortunately doing so may simply muddy the waters with looking in to the issue. We'll continue responding to your issues on your own thread.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
andyram

Chris,

Thanks I did restart it but Ill try again tonight

Andrew

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problems Andrew, let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
notmyname
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Out of interest, you said you restarted the router. What time/day did you do so?
andyram

Hi,

I restarted the router this morning (I even took the line out for a bit) at around 5:30, still no change, if anything it went down to nearer 1M from speedtest.

The router (2704N) device info page says:

Upstream Kpps: 1060

Downstream Kpps: 1749

Also has:

Software version: 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet

Hardware version: F@ST2704N V1.0

Any other ideas

thanks

Andrew

Andrew

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Andrew,

First a warm welcome to the forums.  I think it would be useful to take this back to basics.  There is a lot which you can do to help yourself - especially to avoid the cost of a BTOR engineer visit ... who finds a fault with your equipment or wiring.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

What are the expectations for your line?

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

How is your line performing?

Please post your router stats; for PN TG582n and 2704n routers use the buttons below, for other routers look at the Kitz link.

Also run a BT Wholesale speed test (ideally using an Ethernet wired PC with the WiFi turned off) then run the further diagnostics and post the results here. DO NOT REBOOT the router!

Also find your CURRENT SPEED (PlusNet line profile) from the PlusNet user portal - you will need to log in.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

andyram

Hi, many thanks. My expectations are to get the 4-5M I was getting. I will check the phone line as you asked, but here are my router stats from after the restart this morning.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Andrew,

That's not the information I'm looking for - its the DSL stats which tell all.  The link I provided should get you to the page containing the right information.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Here are the test results for this circuit.

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 24.8 53.5
SNR Margin: 5.5 2.6
Errored Seconds: 5 0
HEC Errors: 20  
Cell Count: 329607 2153443
Speed: 1060 1749
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
andyram

andyram

I ran the BER test as it was there, here are the results

Many thanks
Andrew
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@andyram,

Can you please complete the requests in post #8.

When I asked about expectations for your line - I did not mean yours, but rather the predictions published on the sites I provided links to.  There is no point you having expectations outside of what BT say your line is physically capable of doing.  I'm guessing that you are fairly rural on a long line. and an exchange which BT Wholesale has failed to invest in (still the rather old 20CN - not ADSL2 capable - equipment).

Edit: I should have checked the modulation code standard. Embarrassed

Have you followed the speed issues trouble shooting guide?  See the link below.  IS the router connected at the master socket?

@Chris@Gandalf

So the synch speed is below expectations ... where from here?  Raise a formal fault report? (Andrew see the other link below).

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

The OP's modem is using G.DMT.bis  which I believe is ADSL2, this would explain the upload speed of 1060Kbps, the download speed is rather poor but I doubt if it will get up to 4 or 5 Meg that the OP is expecting with the attenuation at 53.5. It could be a line fault of course.