cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, back again

farnorth
Grafter

Hi, back again

After a power outage that blacked out most of the Highlands and Islands about 4 days ago, we had some appalling weather, causing  my line to drop a couple of times. My router has now, after some 97 hours, worked up to a synch speed of 1504 kbps. However my IP profile is still at 350 kbps.
I think I may want to revisit the idea of a fixed line speed. Can someone look into fixing it at 1mb for me?
Many thanks
16 REPLIES 16
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Hi, back again

Hi farnorth,
We could certainly look into that for you but after what happened last time I wouldn't like to see you without internet for a couple of days again. If you're willing to risk it then we should do it at the start of the week so we can revert it if it didn't work. I'll have to take some advice on that though.
Jojo Smiley
farnorth
Grafter

Hi Jojo
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I'm still toying with the idea of fixing it down to .5mb. If that would be more/the most stable. I think I would prefer that to the constant ups and downs that I get.
Last time I think was a bit of a one off, I know the line won't take any more than 1mb, but not sure just how stable it would be at that.
Regards
Norman
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Norman,
Two heads are better than one, so when I get in the office tomorrow I'll have a word with one of my colleagues and review your line stats to see what the best solution would be and whether it'd be worth trying the fixed 1Mbps.
Jojo Smiley
farnorth
Grafter

You work from home as well! You should get a raise
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's quite a long weekend without anyone looking in, so I just like to check and see if there's anyone I can quickly help. Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

maybe its because its raining, you could send some down here, the Sahara has more
farnorth
Grafter

No idea what's happening now, been connected for 100 hours no line drops according to router.
IP profile has dropped to 0.25mb and sync speed to 352kbps. The usual 63db attenuation but the noise margin now at 14db.
ergghh!!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi farnorth,
I'll give the 1Mbps fixed line a go if you like. Just remember that if it didn't work you'd be without connection for a day. I'll have to do it today though, so if you can get back to me a soon as possible that would be appreciated.
Jojo Smiley
farnorth
Grafter

Hi Jojo
Don't know if I've missed you, been out all day.
Yes please to giving it a go if you still can.
Norman
p.s. If not then Monday next week?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI farnorth,
Will you be at home tomorrow. If so, I can place it today, and if it doesn't work I can get it back on max, or 500k before the weekend. If you don't get back to me before lunch then it will have to be Monday.
Jojo Smiley
farnorth
Grafter

Hi Jojo
Just got your message, yes will be at home all day tomorrow.
Norman
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Norman,
I've placed the order now; it should complete tomorrow. I'll keep an eye on it and give you a ring tomorrow afternoon to see how it's going.
Jojo Smiley
farnorth
Grafter

Cheers, got fingers, eyes and legs crossed can't think of much else to keep crossed!
Look forward to your call.
Norman
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI farnorth,
Thanks for you time. Does look like it's done the trick. Do keep me informed on how it's going from time to time.
Jojo Smiley