cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi and help

mikeyd1682

Hi and help

First up, hello to everyone here, staff and users.
Just recently migrated over to plusnet from tiscali in the hope that my internet would better itself for gaming. However that does'nt seem to be the case. Pretty dissapointed.
Well, Im still in the "cooling off period" although theres a few things bothering me;
Not noticed a difference at all from the migration.
Ping is always over 60 to uk servers on a good day but usually more (regardless of time).
Download speed sync's at 3mb max usually 2.5mb.
Im really not too fussed about download speed as 3 mb is fast enough for what I need but the ping issues is what's really bothering me.
I've had a look at some information on the modem and theres a few things that look back to front just dont seem right.

Mode: G.DMT 
Type: Interleave 
Line Coding: Trellis On 
                                          Downstream            Upstream
Rate (Kbps):                      2784                        448 

SNR Margin (dB):                15.0                          18.0 
Attenuation (dB):              56.0                          31.0 
Output Power (dBm):        12.1                          18.7 
I understand its all about line quality, distance from the exchange etc but somthing just doesnt seem right. A friend of mine (also on plusnet) gets amazing ping to uk servers, I'm so jelous  Tongue and had advised me to ask for Interleaving to be turned off. - Can we try that?
I have tried everything possible this end; different modem. filters, socket etc but still no change.
Some useful stuff I know;
According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support a 6.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max.
You are approximately 1.69km from the exchange.
Your local telephone exchange is reported as running below full capacity. It is therefore unlikely that the speed problems you are reporting are a result of contention.

Any idea's on how to sort this? It's really affecting my online expericence Sad
Thanks
Michael

20 REPLIES 20
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Hi and help

What's your phone wiring/extension/device setup like. That can cause serious speed issues (just ask Shutter!).
Your SNR margin is extremely high indicating a problem of some sort.
Your downstream attenuation suggests a line 4km long capable of maybe 3.5mbps not 6. But the BTW database has its moments!
James
Grafter

Hi Michael,
Welcome to our Community Site.
From my first impression, the estimation from the BT Wholesale site seems to be a little bit out.  Your attenuation seems to be quite high which suggests that you are a fai distance away from the exchange.  Also, your noise margin is quite high, which could suggest some internal wiring or hardware problems, which could have an impact on the speeds that you receive.
I'll give you a ring you to confirm everything and hopefully give you a better understanding of how things work.
link:speed
paulby
Grafter

Once you've resolved the issues pointed out by HPSauce and Jameseh you could try having interleaving removed from your line.  You can do that by placing a request here (login required).
Removing interleaving should improve your pings but may also reduce the stability of your line. However, you can always have it turned back on again if things don't work out.
As for your speeds, once any underlying problems have been ironed out, try tweaking your MTU and RWIN settings as per this page (or this page if you're using Vista).
James
Grafter

Hi Michael,
Thanks for taking the time to speak to me just now.
As we discussed, I'd recommend giving BT Retail a ring regarding the noise that you're hearing on your line and hopefully they'll then be able to replace your master socket free of charge.  Hopefully this would result in an improvement in your noise margin and possibly in your attenuation.
Like I mentioned, once that's been done, we can then look into the possibility of removing interleaving from your line to improve your ping speeds.
mikeyd1682

Hi again,
Firstly I have to say I am very impressed with the customer support here at plusnet, within 20mins of my original post I had a phone call.
Top noch, a definate difference from my previous isp, happy days 10/10.
Anyways, I phoned BT and didnt get much help, apperently they don't supply my phonline and gave me all these weird cost figures (I must still be with tiscali as I had a multi-package) and they told me to get in contact with my supplier who would then raise a fault with them etc.
When I ordered broadband from plusnet I did order the whole package (with phonline & calls) but noticed its not ready yet (I understand this takes time, no worries).
I did however go out and buy a new master socket and fitted (it's done properly!).
Not made any difference? ;

SNR Margin (dB):        15.2                      19.0 
Attenuation (dB):      56.0                      31.0 
Output Power (dBm): 12.3                      18.8 
(out of curiosty am I aiming for SNR margin d/l & u/l to be as close to each other as possible?)
I have noticed a drop  in ping. (50-55ms to the previous 60-70)
Brings me back onto, I do remember eventually speaking to tiscali after 3days of phoning and passed about 10times due to the frequent disconects I had at the time. They told me somthing about the noise on my line and said they sent a "BT Open Reach" Engineer out and apperently it was fixed the next day. However, I smell fish.
So, where do I go from here? Do I accept BT's madness engineer costs just or just live with this?
Thanks
Michael
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

As my name has been mentioned in this post,
First... HPsauce, gives good advice, and is very knowledgable.
Second, My wiring has been "partly" sorted.... I removed the number three connecion from all my sockets, and this has improved the stability, and probably the SNR figures too. 
I am using the "flat" white telephone extension wiring, from a plug into the master socket, then extensions are hard wired, Each socket that connects a phone, has the dangly filter connector for the phone, and the Wireless modem is at the end of a 35 feet run (from Master Socket).... I know this is probably about the worst place, but my situation requires it to be that way. I am 2.9km from the exchange in a relatively straight roadway run, and my speed (according to BT is only 1mb) , however, I am in the process of doing a re-wire with an ADSL extension kit, or probably a "twisted pair" line (hardwired) and direct from the master socket to the Wireless Router, which should improve the SNR figure, and hopefully get me up to HPsauce`s figure of 2mb.

Use this forum to ask questions you don`t think you know the answer to, and you will find them all a really helpful bunch..... Tiscali is dead..... Long live PlusNet. ! ! Smiley

Edit:-  See  "rewiring extension sockets with "twisted pair"  in Broadband Help ! ! !
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: mikeyd1682
I did however go out and buy a new master socket and fitted (it's done properly!).
Not made any difference? ;

oops! That's maybe not such a good idea as BT don't like that.  Embarrassed
If you have line problems and a BT/Openreach engineer spots something not done by them they can/will kick up a fuss and potentially charge you to rectify it.  Sad
Is it the same sort, or did you replace and "old-style" master with an NTE5A?
I'd swap it back before any engineers arrive on site. Roll_eyes
mikeyd1682

Hi,
Thanks for that Smiley
Think i'll give that whole wiring thing a bash.
Oh, forgot to mention my wiring/setup to hpsauce, sorry!
PC > Router(Wired) > Master Socket (DSL Filter) > GPO Junction (2meters from Master socket).
*Just seen ur post under me*
No its the exact same just looks newer (newer as in nice and clean, same model). As for the wiring, done as good as if not better than it was Smiley
HPsauce
Pro

Just make sure you've got the drop wire cores the right way round into the master socket  Crazy
0V = A = Orange dropwire = 5 = White/blue bands
-48V = B = White dropwire = 2 = Blue/white bands
It usually doesn't matter which way round it is, but BT/OpenReach will do it right and notice if it isn't.
mikeyd1682

I done it the exact way it was before and read a bit before I installed it to enusure it was correct, you have confirmed that for me aswell so I feel good about it Smiley , cheers.
Still hasnt helped my situation though Sad just have a nice new socket lol.
Can this SNR not be a problem outside my home, perhaps omwhere along the line or at the exchange?
Just everything "seems" fine here. Just trying to pin point the problem to fix. If it is "fixable" that is.
Cheers
Michael
James
Grafter

Hi Michael,
Have you tried using a different filter or router at any stage?  It's possible that either of these may be faulty and causing the problems that you have been experiencing?
How's the noise on your line now that you've installed a new master socket?  Has that gone?  If it's still there, you'll still have a voice line fault and you'll still need to get it raised with your telephony supplier?
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Jameseh
you'll still need to get it raised with your telephony supplier?

Unfortunately, if you look back, you'll see he's "in transit" from Tiscali to PlusNet on the phone as well, so is a bit stuck at present until that's completed. Crazy
(and when it is it'll be you guys ;D)
mikeyd1682

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Michael,
Have you tried using a different filter or router at any stage?  It's possible that either of these may be faulty and causing the problems that you have been experiencing?
How's the noise on your line now that you've installed a new master socket?  Has that gone?  If it's still there, you'll still have a voice line fault and you'll still need to get it raised with your telephony supplier?

Hey jamesh,
I have tried multiple modems/filters/cables/pc's and still doesnt make any difference.
The fuzz that was on the line is actually gone, or my ears cant pick it up so I think it has done some good that side but not as far as my SNR goes.
As HPsauce says, im currently moving over from tiscali phoneline to plusnet phonline Smiley so perhaps I'll wait and let you guys handle it? Tongue
cheers
Michael

HPsauce
Pro

What sort of router are you using at present?
And does it still show downstream output power at around 12bBm?
Somewhere around 18 or 19 would be more normal.
(in fact downstream/upstream power look the wrong way round!)
I'd try asking Plusnet to set SNRM to 6dB and see what happens to your stats......