cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi All and Router/Switch advice

jumbo67

Hi All and Router/Switch advice

Hi Folks
        Hopefully if all goes well I'll be joining Plusnet next Friday on the Unlimited Fibre.  I was a happy BE customer for many years until the Sky buyout.  Needless to say after 4 weeks on Sky I've bailed out! Less than 1/2 my previous speed, laggy connection and dropouts every night.!  So as my local cabinet is less than a couple of hundred meters from my house I thought I'd give it a try.
  So far I've managed to work out that on the supplied Plusnet router I will have 3 lan ports due to one being needed for the connection to the modem.  Unfortunately I need four (at least) PS3 , Wired laptop, Nas drive, and Sky box.  What I'm trying to figure out is. Can I run these machines on a seperate Switch  http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AWM7PKO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OL...  and then run the Switch into a free port on the Plusnet router?  Yes I think.  However will I also be able to get simultaneous internet connection on the devices as well?  If not, is there any kind of work around for this apart from an expensive new router?
Many Thanks
David
2 REPLIES 2
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Hi All and Router/Switch advice

Hi
Yep - that would work absolutely fine (all devices connected to the switch would get internet access) and a lot of people do that.
jumbo67

Re: Hi All and Router/Switch advice

Wow that was quick.    Smiley
Thanks Andy