cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hey Plusnet & Co... I am Not a happy little Bunny!!!

zedingrove
Grafter

Hey Plusnet & Co... I am Not a happy little Bunny!!!

OK when I 1st got started with Plusnet  I was assured of 11 - 15 mb, fact my local exchange says roughly (upto 15mb) same thing, being just 930 ms from it. As such should my speed not be close to this rather than the average speed of 7.5mb (pending time of day).
They will post with links to such and such, ask to see Router stats - noise margin, speed and attenuation (upstream and downstream), you post all this, then you might get a post or two from Plusnet - How far is your router from main socket? You reply "the length of the filter" That went cold. Went on to say that my attenuation is 40.5dB Hello.... 3 posts up had to ask how to get my line stats, Spent 20 mins with Google to find out that one and still not 100%. Then my master socket, a picture was put up with an arrow pointing at the BT test socket and asking me if I am plugged into that, so I replied yes... And that went cold.
Now save the best bit for last... I had 3 posters helping me, so rather than get into bother I did a 3-1 reply.
The bad news is that your sync speed will not appreciably increase over 9871kbps as it already has a 3dB default noise margin which is the lowest setting
Your IP profile will be 8706kbps and therefor you should be getting speeds of about 8500kbps or thereabouts in the speed tests
Can you run the BT Speedtest and report back

What the.... Is that all about? Might as well replied in Chinese - Lastly, can I do a speed test? You read last paragraph in my reply post?
Have just done 5 speed tests over last hour so between 5 - 6pm and down is up 1.4 MB from yesterday with a variation of 0.2 my upload is almost static at 0.355 with a 0.1 variation..
Really it's not anyone's fault but my own, as my expectations for people on this planet, to be just a little like myself... Faultless, Attention to detail, See it through to the end and have the art of communication.... This does not bode well, perhaps (now on my 9th can) naaaaaaaa.
You know I still have the email confirming that I will get between 11/15mb pending time of day!
Just one last thing before I finish... A friend has Sky broadband with 20mb speed, lives 6 miles from exchange, has normal master socket (like mine), same distance from socket yet achieves an average of 18mb, 2mb under as opposed to 5mb under.
15 REPLIES 15
x47c
Grafter

Re: Hey Plusnet & Co... I am Not a happy little Bunny!!!

Quote from: zedingrove

Just one last thing before I finish... A friend has Sky broadband with 20mb speed, lives 6 miles from exchange, has normal master socket (like mine), same distance from socket yet achieves an average of 18mb, 2mb under as opposed to 5mb under.

Theoretically impossible.
6 miles is 9 kilometers
Standard ADSL Broadband from the exchange over the BT line starts to get unobainable once you get beyond around 6.5Kilometers from the exchange.
So at 9Km from the exchange I doubt they could get any from of broadband service at all.
So unless their exchange has been fibre enabled and they on some form of fibre service fed down the phone lines from the local cabinet at lot closer to them than 9Km..
Someone is telling porkies....
GrahamC
Grafter

being just 930 ms from it.

Is this direct door-to-door or actual cable length?
attenuation is 40.5dB

This suggests you are close to 3km from the exchange and are likely to achieve an approx: 9000 kbps sync rate so you are doing well at 9871.
Quote from: Oldjim
The bad news is that your sync speed will not appreciably increase over 9871kbps as it already has a 3dB default noise margin which is the lowest setting
Your IP profile will be 8706kbps and therefor you should be getting speeds of about 8500kbps or thereabouts in the speed tests

What the.... Is that all about? Might as well replied in Chinese

It's not rocket science. Given your line stats (the figures you posted from your router), your line seems to be performing within it's normal operating range. The noise margin is set at it's lowest setting, therefore it is unlikely your connection speed will increase.
- Lastly, can I do a speed test? You read last paragraph in my reply post?

Oldjim and Anotherone have both asked for information only provided by the BT Speed Test, and both actually gave you the link to save you the bother. We are still waiting....

See above  Wink
harps1h
Grafter

BT speed tester http://speedtester.bt.com/
harps1h
Grafter

To help members here to get to grips with your problem and a potential solution, please post a copy of your router stats and the results of a BT speed test.
Another place to check your line stats is here http://http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php this will give you an indication of your lines capabilities. If you are unsure how to get your router stats post the make and model here and we will be able to guide you.
Lastly as asked by GrahamC how did you get this figure of 930 metres from the exchange? It is not how the crow flies and sometimes cables do not go as directly as you may think, you attenuation suggest closer to 3km.
Do the tests and post back here
GrahamC
Grafter

For reference, here is the original thread:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105639.0.html
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Here is the link to your previous post on the subject of your speeds http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105639.html
I've posted this so that anyone reading or wishing to contribute to the current thread can readily find the background information. Starting a new thread on the same issue doesn't really help you, as most people won't go hunting to see if there is previous information.
When people ask for information from whatever, they expect you to post the actual results, not your synopsis or interpretation. When you first started posting on these boards, I got the impression that you were quite knowledgeable in BB and Internet related matters, perhaps that was a mistaken impression and we need to be more explicit with any questions etc.
Let's deal with this first.
You know I still have the email confirming that I will get between 11/15mb pending time of day!

I doubt that the wording says "you will get......" It will be an estimate of what you may get. Quite where that estimate came from I'm not sure, perhaps Plusnet can answer that one, it could have been from a BT Wholesale estimate and it wouldn't be the first time that I've seen these being erroneous.
When I asked you to check your Current Line speed at the Portal, you did post the full information, but quite why you referred to it as "static information" I'm not sure, as the Current Line speed is Plusnet's equivalent of your BT IP profile for the line - (that said there are issues with this being updated due to changes made by BT Wholesale which affects all users and at the outset it seems to be set high by default until a more appropriate setting is made) You also included Plusnet's estimated Line speed of 6mbps - now whilst this is based on ADSL1 it is consistent with a 40dB line attenuation which would give the sort of speed you are getting on ADSL2+.
Jojo did comment on the "availability checker" results
I see your estimate on the availability checker is between 11-15Mbps but what I don't get is that your attenuation is 40.5dB which would suggest a longer line and lower speed.

You never responded to that.
Your line will not go to the exchange as the crows flies, that must be obvious (are there telegraph poles across the local parks, recreation ground or cemetery?), the line will go via the route of the roads and will be a considerably longer distance.
As for the other remarks, no need for me to comment, the previous posters have addressed that.
Edit: I see GrahamC beat me to the link
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Should these threads not be merged Undecided  It is very confusing and not helped by the OP style of writing.
harps1h
Grafter

It is not incumbent on the admins to merge threads, it is up to the thread originator NOT to start multiple threads on the same subject. It serves no purpose whatsoever and only leads to confusion and duplicate information
artmo
Aspiring Champion

i didn't say it was but our mods do keep an eye on this sort of thing to prevent confusion etc.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I see no point in a merge, the link has been provided, all relevant detail is in this thread, apart from the full output from a BT Speedtest (Diagnostic) the line would appear as though it's performing as expected for it's attenuation. The unanswered question which forum members can't answer is why the BT Wholesale checker gives a higher speed estimate. If the OP can check the distance by road that the line is likely to take, that may give us a better idea. Other than that, Plusnet would have to put the question to BTw.
zedingrove
Grafter

Quote from: x47c

Theoretically impossible.
6 miles is 9 kilometers
Standard ADSL Broadband from the exchange over the BT line starts to get unobainable once you get beyond around 6.5Kilometers from the exchange.
So at 9Km from the exchange I doubt they could get any from of broadband service at all.
So unless their exchange has been fibre enabled and they on some form of fibre service fed down the phone lines from the local cabinet at lot closer to them than 9Km..
Someone is telling porkies....

Not telling porkies, just just for got the point, it is 0.6 miles
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

At 0.6 miles (about 1km) you'd expect an attenuation around  13-14dB and 18Mb/s throughput would be a fair result, your attenuation is around 3 times the amount so the expected speed will be lower.  Either you're about 3 times this distance (line length) from the exchange or your line has a problem causing the attenuation to be mugh higher than it should be.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
zedingrove
Grafter

Yeah well should of updated my real distance the 930ms is line of sight, it is in fact 0.7 miles.
Which along with this data from BT Wholesale....
You are connected to the Kensal Green telephone exchange.
    Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL Max services
    Your exchange is also enabled for ADSL2+ services
According to BT Wholesale, your phone line should be able to support
up to 2Mbps via ADSL
5.5Mbps or greater ADSL connection via ADSL Max
8.5Mbps or greater via ADSL2+
8.5Mbps or greater.... Max I have had is 7.62Mbps but my average is 6.5Mbps
Actually I give up... When it comes to checking lines and speed, they should all give roughly same results... According to BT Broadband internet speed test using telephone number...
Between 7.0Mb and 10.0Mb
(Estimated speed: 8.5Mb)
So BT wholesale's data differs from BT home  Undecided
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I am not at all surprised that after your broadband is up and running, the estimate now matches your current line speed.