cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here we go, geting near the end now..

MwEmpire
Grafter

Here we go, geting near the end now..

Just come home to find yet again moaning kids with no internet since they came home from school.
Rang the Plusnet line and listened to the top 100 from the 80's, got through and told my tales of woe, ( connection good for a week, goes off, Open Reach come no problem found x 4) you get the picture.
Open Reach say no fault found, its a Plusnet Profile software problem etc and the cycle continues, the odd threat of a bill from Open Reach to break the monotony.
The time before just now, whilst on the phone to Plusnet the modem synced as if by magic and was told this was a coincidence not a re connect from Plusnet.
Now a week later its been off since 3.00pm, on hold to support for 40mins and get through and the helpful chap puts me on hold while he checks the line and again by the magic of coincidence, it again re connects, I tried to wait on the line but my cordless phone had been off the charge base so long it shut off.
I really think Plusnet need to admit its a fault their end, I work 6 days a week and my limited free time wasted enduring the tedious Open Reach visits leaves a lot to be desired.
Can someone please reassure me the reoccurring fault is now nailed, and I would expect some free months use at least to make up for the wasted Open Reach visits, I have referred some people and I am wondering if I did the right thing.
27 REPLIES 27
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Here we go, geting near the end now..

Hi,
Is there any noise on the line?  Try dialling 17070 option 2 the line should be silent.
I'd suspect that there is a bad joint in the line. In such circumstances the higher voltages passed down a line when it rings or is tested can temporially fix the problem.  If you find the Internet drops again, try ringing your number and see if the modem resynchs.  Unfortunately joint faults like this can be hard to locate.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MwEmpire
Grafter

Hi, my last Open Reach visit did a complete line test and joint test with no problems found, both Open Reach and myself believe the fault is Plusnets end ..
AndyH
Grafter

What makes you think the problem is PN's end?
When you say a 'Plusnet Profile software problem', do you mean their downstream limiting?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

In all the years I've been on these forums I've never seen a Plusnet fault that gives symptoms as you've described. I have however seen plenty of posts where the problem was a fault with the line or equipment in the exchange. "It's the ISP's fault" is engineers speak for "I can't find where the problem is" - often this will because the fault doesn't actually exhibit itself while the engineer is there.
Quote from: Townman
I'd suspect that there is a bad joint in the line. In such circumstances the higher voltages passed down a line when it rings or is tested can temporially fix the problem.  If you find the Internet drops again, try ringing your number and see if the modem resynchs.  Unfortunately joint faults like this can be hard to locate.

This is very good advice. If ringing your phone using a mobile (leave it ringing without answering for some time) restores/improves the connection that is a fact to give to engineer as it points to a poor joint somewhere.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

I agree with Jelv.
The probability this is a PN issue is about the same as winning tonight's Euromillions.
Clearly this needs to be escalated within BT Wholesale and a SFI appointment made.
MwEmpire
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
What makes you think the problem is PN's end?
When you say a 'Plusnet Profile software problem', do you mean their downstream limiting?

These are the engineers comments from Open Reach, after 4 Open Reach visits with no faults found the odds seem over whelming, when on the phone to support earlier he mentioned its a possible Plusnet profiling fault, perhaps I should do the lottery as well..
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Absolute tosh and typical engineer blaming someone else!
There is no way in a million years a profiling fault would totally kill the connection. If it was there but very slow a profiling issue would be a possibility.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
MwEmpire
Grafter

Thanks for the support, you all seem to be missing the fact the Plusnet support said it could well be a fault their end, how come its been able to reconnect upon ringing support ?
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

how come its been able to reconnect upon ringing support ?

Did you miss this?Huh
In such circumstances the higher voltages passed down a line when it rings or is tested can temporially fix the problem

Prrsumably this also happens when you call support Embarrassed
MwEmpire
Grafter

Morning, can someone please raise me a ticket, I have no connection again this morning, I planned to work from home today but I have had to come in to work as I need internet.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

you will need to phone in  or raise a ticket yourself - it doesn't need to be from your connection
Staff are unlikely to be here over the long weekend
AndyH
Grafter

@ MwEmpire
Is your telephone line working ok? What happens if you do the 17070 (Option 2 - Quiet Line Test) - can you hear static or noise?
Can you give a little more info on your connection not working? Which modem lights are off? What are the errors in your router log?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: MwEmpire
I have no connection again this morning

Did you try ringing your phone as recommended?
As for 4 engineer visits and no fault found, that can depend upon what they are looking for and how hard they look.  I have had numerous (4+) engineers visit, test the line from the phone end, stating no fault found.  When the auto test system stated there was a fault they claimed the test system was faulty.  Then I had an engineer who could be bothered, test the line from the cabinet - he immediately found the fault.
Line faults are not black and white, finding them depends on the weather, what you look for, where you look and how you look.  The circumstantial description of your problem makes it most probably a bad joint.
Go on, give your home phone line a good long ring and see if that 'fixes' the problem without PN intervention.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MwEmpire
Grafter

Hi, I will try ringing the line later, the 4 Open Reach visits were at best a waste of time, my wife left them to it on 2 occasions which didn't help.
The last visit which he had been booked to do a joint test didn't really go to plan, I mentioned the connection outside and a socket test both of those didn't really happen, he didn't check any wiring outside properly, he went outside for about 30 seconds.
I'm just getting a bit frustrated going round in circles, me doing my own line tests and checking connections isn't really what I planned for, trusting Open Reach to do this seemed the obvious route..
Every visit from Open Reach they seem to shift the blame, I have been happy with PlusNet but only when it works.
If ringing my line reconnects the Open Reach modem, what happens thereafter ?