cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here we go again :-(

Damian78
Grafter

Here we go again :-(

Okies. Had a reasonable ADSL connection (about 6.16) but read about the ADSLNation broadband filters being quite good so replaced my stock NTE5 one for one.
Oh dear. Connection starts well but then literally dies. Soooo many FEC errors.
Last latency was 1105ms.
Swapped filter back. Seemed ok but after 90 mins its unusable.
HELP
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Here we go again :-(

What happens if you plug your modem/router into the TEST socket (the one inside the NTE5 where the ADSLnation faceplate attaches)
Damian78
Grafter

All ok again with the original NTE5 filter this morning.
Can try a stand alone filter later on the test socket but weird it carped out with both :-S
Damian78
Grafter

Another thought!
I had the wrong (non USB enabled) firmware sent to my router (still have). Could this affect performance as the line stats (i.e. noise, SNR etc) look ok?
Can the correct 10.5?? firmware be sent?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi there,
You can get the latest firmware at http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/ to see if this helps. A guide on this can be found here.
Damian78
Grafter

Not had chance to try the test socket.
Speed is all over the place. Had pings of 1105ms before, no upload speed at all and download speed is 1/2 of what it was 😞
Got FEC up load and down loads errors all over the place.
Not sure I'll be able to reflash to the firmware suggested as I'll be lucky to be able to download anything!!
Can my line be checked, please? This is the is starting to be like the problems I had 12 months ago and that was ridiculous!
Damian78
Grafter

Spoke to CS last night. They believe the router is about to die after being given the wrong firmware.
New one on the way. Hope thats it.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I cannot believe the non-USB firmware could kill the router considering that the "non-USB" 10.2.2.B EH firmware at least still contains all the usb driver kernel modules and usb related programs, and according to the kernel dmesg, the non-USB router still has a usb controller on the chip and loads add the usb modules, it just doesn't have an actual physical usb port.
Damian78
Grafter

It could be a coinicidence but am getting connection drops randomly, 100 million FEC errors up and down as well HEC errors.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I would be far more inclined to suspect internal wiring than the router, even if it is 18 months old. If the new router does the same please test it in there as we won't be able to raise a fault for you if that isn't done - and please do advise if it makes a difference, certainly hoping it does do.
Damian78
Grafter

Have checked all the wiring but will replace the ADSL cable just in case.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Understood, and thanks, but the reason we ask for the test socket test is because removing the front plate of the master socket disconnects all the internal wiring so that can be proved (or not) to be the cause of the drops.
Damian78
Grafter

The master socket is the only line in the house. Its fitted with a NTE5 ADSL filter and thats all and has been replaced with an ADSLNation equivalent that made matters worse.
The phone line seems fine, no noise or disconnections even when the ADSL is playing up.
Theres 2 wires connected to the BT Openreach face plate. Both look fine. The external master socket was disabled and bypassed by a BT engineer last year to make it internal when we had line issues last year.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Fair enough then - hope the new router helps with the problems.
Damian78
Grafter

Me too. I've just switched off the router for now as don't want BT adjusting the speed to compensate for the random disconnections.
It had dropped from 6.40mbps to 5.91mbps last night. Assuming its a dodgy router will this increase back again without intervention?