cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Here We Go Again With The Lousy Speed Issues

kjb
Dabbler

Here We Go Again With The Lousy Speed Issues

Just about sick of the lousy rotten service, why did I take out another years subs?

Download speed wireless running at 734kbps, upload 308kbps, totally unusable. Wired speed reports 'LATENCY TEST ERROR'. Been like this all night.

Total utter rubbish once again from this two bit company.

11 REPLIES 11
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Here We Go Again With The Lousy Speed Issues

@kjb wrote:

Total utter rubbish once again from this two bit company.

Do you mean Plusnet or BTw?

Have you reported the problem to Plusnet so that they can get 'their suppliers' to fix it?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

kjb
Dabbler

Hi Baldrick1,

I speak from past experiences that reporting the frequent speed issues to customer services is absolutely useless and to begin with means a 20 min plus wait trying to get through on the phone.

I have had massive issues with their service and all they do is increase the tariff every 6 months.

I'm out for good in 3 months, but in the meantime a good rant when the speed goes slo-mo is my only solace.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

That's fine if it makes you feel better.

If you move to another ISP that use the BT infrastructure you will still have the same problems, you will simply be complaining to a different set of agents. These may or may not be more proactive in getting your problem addressed, I suspect that it depends on how expensive is the new ISP.

My advice is to explain your problem on this forum. Some very good Plusnet staffers come along who will hopefully pick up your issue and handle things better. They are a bit thin on the ground at the week ends but come next week you may find that your problem is picked up and addressed more efficiently then before.

However, they cannot walk on water and need to get BTw to fix your problem, however the public visibility of progress can help get things done..

Edit

@kjb

Is this the same problem that you had previously where the suspicion was that the problem was that you were using the wireless on a Hub Zero (2704N). If so did you ever try using a router with decent wifi performance and see if that helped?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Sorry to hear you've been having issues.

Our tests aren't showing any issues and you should be getting speeds of around 8mbps.

Can you try the wired speedtest again and carry out a speedtest here?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
kjb
Dabbler

Cannot run the BT w speed test, keep repeatedly getting the same message back 'speedtest.btwholesale.com refused to connect'.

JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Hi @kjb,

I've had a look at the history of your account and the most recent fault that was on the account was last year, which was a similar issue. That problem looks to have been 'resolved' following an SNR reset, although looking at your comments on that ticket that was done because of the intermittent issues you were also experiencing at the same time. I've tested your connection again and honestly cannot find anything wrong.

Can I check is it speedtest.net you're using that's giving you that latency test error and on the ticket above was it the same when you were receiving 'socket error' too? In my (very limited) experience aren't those errors more machine related?

As I understand it you're a retired engineer and IT analyst so I'm going to assume your setup is more in depth or advanced than your average user (I might be wrong please tell me if I am). Have you've made sure nothing internally is causing the connection issues to the test sites or any network or internet slow downs, for example any browser issues, proxy settings or VPN connections that are being made, or bespoke firewall settings that might be causing an issue. Have you tried to refresh your TCP/IP settings (with the netsh int ip reset command as an administrator)? 

kjb
Dabbler

Hi Jolo,

I use speednet and have done for many tears, I mean years.

I know the issue is not machine related because I have a number of devices in use which all reported slow connection speeds. I also recently reinstalled all new internal sockets and wiring and had everything checked by a friend and neighbour who has been a BT Telecoms/Openreach engineer for over 40 years.

All I know is I get speed drop quite frequently and I am constantly having to reset my router. I have swapped routers a couple of times but it seems to make no difference. The Plusnet support guy I last spoke with said I should use the router supplied by Plusnet or they could not guarantee the hardware would work correctly.

We have no fibre laid down our street and the overhead cable connection from the cabinet at the top of our street is about 35 years old so who knows what condition that is in. Seems BT will not change any of their kit if it tests within their defined acceptable parameters.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

I'd recommend raising a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so we can report this through to our suppliers for further investigation.

If you let us know over here once you've done so we'll be happy to pick it up.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
kjb
Dabbler

Hi Gandalf,

I raised the fault as you recommended.

Right now the service is really bad, in fact we briefly lost our internet connection altogether just as I was writing this message and I cannot run a speed test because I get a 'latency test error' message.

kjb
Dabbler

Managed to run a speedtest just now.

Ping 1001ms

Download 0.43 Mb/s

Upload 0.36Mb/s

Just another nights gaming ruined as per.

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hi @kjb

Sorry to see your broadband speed is still not as expected.

I have updated the fault ticket on your account with regards to booking an engineer. You can access it by clicking here.

Thank you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional