Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with router stats

shure
Grafter

Help with router stats

Hi,
I'm spending a fair amount of time working abroad, away from home at the moment.  My router while I'm staying away is a ZTE H220N and it's given me the following stats below.  I'm not great at reading the stats so I'd be grateful if someone would be able to help with the following:

• 1.  The Up speed is very low in comparison with the attainable rate.  I'm guessing this in connection with the Noise Margin and FEC errors figure.  Is this so and is there anything in your opinion I could do about it?

• 2. I'd like to have interleaving removed.  Can you tell from the provided stats whether that would be either advisable or feasible?

I appreciate this isn't a PN line but in my defence I use PN at home and this forum is better than anything on my other account!
Thanks in advance
Link Status Connected
Showtime Start 8 days: 1 hrs: 24 min: 0 sec
Modulation Type VDSL2
Actual Rate (Up/Down) 5223/51999 kbps
Attainable Rate (Up/Down) 22053/57080 kbps
Noise Margin (Up/Down) 18.9/6.3 dB
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) 20.5/11.3 dB
Output Power (Up/Down) -4.7/14.5 dBm
Data Path (Up/Down) Interleaved/Interleaved
Interleaving Delay (Up/Down) 2/8 ms
INP (Up/Down) 1/2 symbols
FEC (Up/Down) 28199/10331
CRC (Up/Down) 0/0
TPS_TC G.993.2_Annex_K_PTM
Profile 17a
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Help with router stats

From those stats you are either on FTTC or Virgin Cable
Were you with Plusnet FTTC  I would have suggested raising a fault as that is the only way the problem could be addressed.
Note that to change almost anything on fibre requires and engineer visit to the Cab
shure
Grafter

Hi Jim,
thanks for your quick reply.  I'm actually in Holland!  I flit back and forth between my home in the UK and here for work.  At home in the UK I'm with Plusnet ADSL Unlimited but over here there's nothing like the support service you get in the UK (and from these Plusnet forums in particular), so hence the request here.
I'm guessing from your answer that the stats are showing a less than ideal set up?
petecov44
Grafter

I don't see why you are posting here about an ISP in Holland, or have I got it totally wrong and you are accessing your stats at home?
Not sure why cable was mentioned. The Superhub dosen't gave anywhere near that sort of information - you only get the power levels and the up and down sync which are always the same on cable. In any case Virgin use DOCSIS and not VDSL I think.
You need to contact the ISP you are currently on to get things removed/tuned. Nothing anyone in the UK can do. Each ISP is different but the -4/7db power on the up might be a problem. Again it varies from ISP and country but I am sure back here that for PN would be a fault. Again only on cable can you have a - power figure and it still works as it should (range is -5 to +10)
shure
Grafter

@petecove44
I thought I'd made it clear in the previous post that I'm travelling at the moment between the UK and Holland for work reasons.  I spend time in both places.  Since I am a Plusnet member in the UK I was hoping to get some advice from knowledgeable people over here.  I'm not looking for any official action, just help in interpreting the stats so that I can go to the ISP over here and ask the right question.
So from your reply it's the power figure that is causing me to have such a low upstream rate?  Is that also why I need interleaving?
petecov44
Grafter

Oh I get you. I was just making sure I understood properly.
Interleaving is a form of error correction and whilst it could be the reason it's usually applied when there are errors on the line or a high amount of sync problems.
I would say the negative power level could be a problem. But it does depend on how the company have their network set up. We obviously go via BTO but over there they might just be directly connected. No idea on that bit. You ask for knowledge and that's fair enough but different county different network.
A call to ask about the lower power levels and it's possible impact on the upload speed is worth it in any case. The tech will know if the stats are acceptable or not more than anyone here will for the same reasons as above.
shure
Grafter

I appreciate the help, thanks