Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with port forwarding

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Help with port forwarding

Hi everyone.
I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just received the Plusnet Technicolor modem/router and have it working fine (for the most part). I run an application called PlanePlotter that requires me to ensure UDP port 9742 traffic is forwarded.
I have fixed the IP address of the PC running Planeplotter, and configured the Technicolor with a new application called 'PlanePlotter', and set the UDP and TCP port range to 9742, forwarding to 9742. I have then associated that application with the IP address of the PC running Planeplotter.
So far so good (or so I thought).
Planeplotter still wasn't working. I then checked the Technicolor 'Intrusion Detection' settings (which are enabled by default), and in the list, it shows 'UDP Rate Limiting' with a count of 31.
I am thinking I may have set up the port forwarding correctly, but that the UDP traffic is being rate limited by the router. I can't see any way to disable the 'Intrusion Detection' or to modify the settings.
I would hate to go back to my old Netgear DG834G just because I can't resolve this issue, as the Technicolor seems good so far.
Anyone have any thoughts, or similar experience, or even just brainstorming anything else I could try?
Many thanks for any responses.
Best regards,
John
29 REPLIES 29
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Help with port forwarding

Go to http://canyouseeme.org and put the port in and it will tell you if the port is being forwarded properly.
But be aware the 582 is notorious for NOT forwarding properly.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that Hairy. That website reports could not see my service (connection timed out).
If I check the 'Intrusion Detection' list on the router right after I go to that website, nothing has changed. That would make me think my port forwarding is not set up correctly rather than it being a rate limiting problem.
The attached image shows how I have the port forwarding set up.
Thanks again.
John
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Did you assign it to the pc/ip address as well. It is a 2 part process.
Make sure the app is running and check it again.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Yes, I did assign it to the IP address of the PC running PlanePlotter.
Can't figure out why it doesn't seem to work Sad
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Is the PC being assigned an IP via DHCP or just manually input on the PC?
That's RPM to you!!
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Hi RP,
It is assigned by DHCP but the router is set to always use the same IP address for that MAC address. The IP address I have the UDP forwarding set to is correct for the actual IP address in use by the PC running PlanePlotter.
Thanks,
John
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Actually, Just checked using http://canyouseeme.org/ and instead of putting in port 9742, I just left it at 80, and that times out also (odd).
So it may not be an issue related to my port forwarding, but a broader issue. Shouldn't http://canyouseeme.org/ get a response on port 80?
Thanks,
John
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Well, that seems to be all the usual issues covered. Turn it off and on again?  Roll_eyes
Port 80 should be stealth from an outside connection, so not a problem there.
That's RPM to you!!
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

From what you've said port forward should be working ok.
The PF rule you've posted a screen capture from is certainly correct.
a) Double check you've assigned it to the correct PC.
b) Are you testing " http://canyouseeme.org/ " from the same PC you've assigned the PF rule to and do you have the Plan Plotter software running on that machine? It will only report the port open if testing from that PC with the software running.
c) You can disable Intrusion Detection via telnet:
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#ids
But I think you need to prove port forward is working before going there.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I think http://canyouseeme.org only tests TCP ports, not UDP.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for all the replies but I may have to put this issue on hold as there seems to be a new issue. I spent a while configuring my new Technicolor router today, setting my own wireless SSID and password. Setting up dyndns, and my own router login password etc.
Only to find that when I cycled power, I could no longer log into the router. The custom SSID was still there, so the laptop connected to the wi-fi network (so it didn't lose that setting). The wi-fi password also didn't change, the custom one was still there.
192.168.1.254 took me to the router login as expected, but it wouldn't accept the custom password I had set. It also wouldn't accept the default password that came with the router. Also, the internet was not connected. The DSL light was on, so it synced to the exchange, but no internet connection.
I was stuck and ended up doing a full reset to the router, losing the configuration I had spent a while doing.
I have now put my Netgear DG834G back online as I have lost confidence in the Technicolor for the moment.
I have connected the Technicolor back up but not plugging in the phone line, so I can play around with settings etc without re-syncing the modem constantly.
After a power cycle, the Technicolor did accept my custom password (I had set a custom password again after the full reset), but every few seconds, it seems lo log me out of the router interface, and I have to log in again.
So.... I wonder if I...
1) Have a faulty router.
2) The Technicolor is just flaky
3) I am doing something wrong
I would like to use this router as it is wireless N and my Netgear DG834 is wireless G, but unless I can resolve these issues, it is too flaky to use.
Any thoughts/assistance/similar experiences?
Thanks for any replies.
Regards,
John
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Actually, one thing I did learn is that with the original Netgear connected, and PlanePlotter working correctly, canyouseeme.org still reports that it cannot see me on port 9742. So that website doesn't seem to help me determine anything unfortunately.
Regards
John
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Strike what I said below, I am being sent a replacement. Hopefully the new one will behave then I can get back to sorting the port forwarding. Thanks for everyone's help so far.
I wonder if anyone from the Plusnet staff can confirm whether this is normal router behaviour or if I have a faulty router?
I would like to resolve this asap as I am working away for a few weeks soon and would like to leave a solid reliable connection for when I am away.
Thanks in advance.
John
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Quote from: npr
b) Are you testing " http://canyouseeme.org/ " from the same PC you've assigned the PF rule to and do you have the Plan Plotter software running on that machine? It will only report the port open if testing from that PC with the software running.

No it doesn't as long as it is on the same lan it is fine. I test my laptops connections from my main pc all the time.
Quote from: jafreer
canyouseeme.org still reports that it cannot see me on port 9742. So that website doesn't seem to help me determine anything unfortunately.

Sorry I thought it did, you could try shields up but that might be tcp as well.