cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with loss of broadband connectivity

TonyBrown

Help with loss of broadband connectivity

Hoping for some help from the community, as Plusnet support are seemingly unable to provide any sensible help.
We have a standard Plusnet ADSL router, and normally connect to it through the built in WiFi. Occasionally, we lose all connectivity to the internet from our devices (PCs, Tablets etc). Logging onto the Plusnet router shows that it still believes it has a valid ADSL connection, but there is no throughput (no browsing, no POP access, pings fail). The first time I raised this with Plusnet, they were totally convinced it was a WiFi issue, even though we could access the router through WiFi. In order to eliminate this, we waited until it happened again, connected to the router through Ethernet, logged onto the router and just to be sure, turned off the WiFi. Still no broadband connectivity, although the router reported ADSL was still up. Repowering the router immediately restored connectivity.
Live chat with Plusnet support resulting in another request for me to run the broadband fault checker. This was done, and the response from Plusnet was that as the ADSL had not dropped, " then this will be due to a connectivity issue between your computer and router". Seemingly they were ignoring the fact that both WiFi and Ethernet connections didn't work. I again went through the issues, and the diagnostics performed, and waited....
No response, so I again went on Live Chat today to progress the ticket. This has resulted in yet another copy of the ADSL connection status report (shows we are not getting ADSL drops, we all know that), saying there are no drops in connection, and that we should get in touch again when the problem next happens. (No broadband = no live chat, so presumably we will need to wait on the long telephone queues)
Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong here? I tried changing the Plusnet router for a Xyzel, it seemed to do the same thing. It only happens occasionally (maybe once a month), but is a real nuisance when it does. When the ADSL is working, our connection is stable (up for many days without drops), and the speed is quite stable (around 2.5Mb, we are a long way from the exchange)
Suggestions or further diagnostics we can run when this next happens would be appreciated. Only thing I can think of is a total failure of DNS, I haven't yet tried pinging a known IP when the fault occurs.
2 REPLIES 2
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Help with loss of broadband connectivity

Repowering the router immediately restored connectivity.

That really does make it sound like the router could be the issue.
I know you've mentioned you've tried a Xyzel and seen similar issues but do you have access to any other hardware to try?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
TonyBrown

Re: Help with loss of broadband connectivity

I think I do have the original BT 220V router, but this doesn't have WiFi, so its more difficult to use as a test replacement.