Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with line sync speed

jamoleo
Hooked

Help with line sync speed

Hi,

I'm hoping someone at Plusnet  will see this, but I look after the broadband account for my Mum and on a recent visit she complained that the internet is basically unusable.

The router is already plugged directly into the master socket with a filter and a speed test with her PC connected via Ethernet is approx 0.2 Mbps download and upload of 0.8 Mbps.

I wasn't able to do much in the way of diagnostics as I need to dig out the router password before I head down to see her again, but I changed the filter just in case, and restarted he router, but still the same. I notice when logging into her plusnet account shows a very slow line speed:

• Product: Unlimited (Contracted without Phone)
  • Estimated Download Range: 1.5 - 3.5Mbps
  • Estimated Upload Range: 1Mbps
  • Minimum Guaranteed Speed: 0.4Mbps
  • Current Line Speed (Download): 0.2Mbps

Unfortunately I won't be able to re-visit for a week or 2 so hopefully something may be able to be looked at from the plusnet side?

If not let me know what you need from me and I'll report back as soon as possible.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: Help with line sync speed

@jamoleo wrote:

I wasn't able to do much in the way of diagnostics as I need to dig out the router password

The admin password shoukd be on a label fixed to the hub. Try a quiet line test by ringing 17070 and selecting option 2. If there's any noise report a phone fault.

Take the front off the BT Master socket to expose the Test socket, you may need to remove two screws.. Plug your filter in here. Check your speed with an Ethernet cable between the hub and computer. If the speed doesn't recover then report a fault at https://faults.plus.net

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi @jamoleo, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear your Mum is having speed issues as of recent. I can confirm when checking over your connection from this side currently we can see the automated line settings look to be banding the speeds of the connection to under 0.28Mbps download. In which case, I've adjusted the line settings back to where they should be which should take effect from now onwards.

There could be a number of underlying causes to the banded speeds but as @Baldrick1 pointed out I'd advise checking the phone line first to see if there's any noise on there. If so then I'd recommend contacting your phone provider to see if they can detect an underlying fault on the line.

Should the line be fine when listening or when contacting your phone provider then I'd recommend should you see performance issues moving forwards to run through the troubleshoot steps below as there's no underlying causes or faults being detected when testing this side.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the performance issues stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

Let us know how it goes and if issues look to persist as we'll be happy to progress this issue further.

jamoleo
Hooked

Hi Guys,

Thank you for your help so far, I can confirm that all is working well currently and I will follow your advice when I'm able to get down to her house next week and do the checks suggested.

Great forum here for sure

Thanks again

Paul