cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with choosing a good router

goliath969

Help with choosing a good router

Hi,
A bit of back story first. I have been having problems with Plus Net's free router for so long now that it is just intolerable and I want to buy something that just works. I have been having regular WiFi signal drops and network disconnects for a few months now. Not to mention that regardless of my connection speed and the fact that all my devices are N compatible the router always chooses a G signal even though it is capable of 130 Mbps N connection. I have talked to Plus Net support and even exchanged the router, but the problems remain. Plus Net blames it on a household appliance coming on or off and disrupting the signal. Unfortunately, I have a detailed log of when connection was dropped and it does not correspond to any such instance. Thus I have decided to look for a better router.
I am currently on the Unlimited Fibre with a Prioritised Connection add-on and when I do have connection it is great. So no problem on the line I suppose. My problem is that I am unfamiliar with the details of the unnecessarily complicated Fibre->ADSL->Modem->Ethernet->Router setup and I do not know what kind of router to look for. Also, I have previous experience with Linksys (long ago), but their latest routers have been getting very bad reviews. So bad actually that the "best" consumer router they offer, the E4200, has been mass-recalled and is now almost only available as a manufacturer refurbished product half-price.  Cry
So, I am looking for advice on what kind of router I need - Ethernet or ADSL and a recommendation of a make/model that you have had good and consistent results with.
Thank you very much in advance!  Smiley
Regards
3 REPLIES 3
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Help with choosing a good router

To work with the BT modem supplied as part of the FTTC installation you'll need a router with Ethernet WAN, not an ADSL router (except a few models that also offer EWAN configuration such as Billion BiPAC 7402NX)
All manufacturers seem to have good and bad models and many models have good and bad reviews.  Some of the latest models with the 'best' features and performance claims seem also to have the most problems for some users.
I guess Wi-Fi performance, in particular, can be very subjective due to different building structures and different interference levels at each location.
I personally found the above mentioned Billion 7402NX a very solid performer in a house with thin internal walls but plenty of neighbouring wi-fis across the channel range.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Kielty
Dabbler

if you want something that just works, fast and is very reliable i found the Apple Airport Extreme hard to beat...
goliath969

Thanks.
The Billion 7402NX doesn't seem like my type of device. And the Apple Airport Extreme is too big. Anyway, I appreciate the help. Maybe someone else will point me to my next router. In the meantime, I'll keep searching online.