cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with FTTC eligibility (with no current phone provider)

Danplusnet
Grafter

Help with FTTC eligibility (with no current phone provider)

Hi Plusnet
My house has phone sockets but no current telephone service provider. When I do an ADSL echange checker it says my line currently supports FTTC, see below
"Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th November 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 29.9 Mbps and upstream line speed of 12.1 Mbps.
However when I try and order FTTC from Plusnet it it only offers me ADSL and not fibre optic.
How can I put an order through for FTTC? I would like to order home phone and FTTC at the same time as it save me on the installation costs.
[I have also odone an ADSL check on my previous address which I have had FTTC for 18months and I get exactly the same message as above - is the checker broken?)
4 REPLIES 4
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Help with FTTC eligibility (with no current phone provider)

Hi Danplusnet,
It says it's planned for the 30th November. We can't offer it when it isn't available. As soon as it is we'll be able to.
Jojo Smiley
Danplusnet
Grafter

Hi Jo
I think something is up with the checker.
This is the result for my existing house for which I have had FTTC for at least 18months. "Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th November 2011. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 39.6 Mbps and upstream line speed of 15 Mbps"
Also in both cases it states that "your line currently supports a fibre technology". Does this mean that the technology is there but BT aren't allowing new subscribers?
Perhaps it's because I don't have a currently active phone line?
WWWombat
Grafter

The prefix of "Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 30th November 2011." used to mean that BT hadn't yet enabled the cabinet; the rest of the paragraph only applied after the specified date.
However, it seems that this text is re-appearing in some places where FTTC has previously been available for a while. There is speculation that it means that BT had run out of resources for new customers (particularly in the tie cables between the old & new cabinets), and this date shows when they expect to have fixed things.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Danplusnet
Grafter

Hi
Just to conclude this. I ordered the home phone service with Plusnet and as soon as I was allocated a phone number it said FTTC is available.  System most likely doesn't like to confirm FTTC until it can check the specific line.