cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with DNS settings

crobertbailey
Grafter

Help with DNS settings

Hi i have set up my server with the following DNS and i keep getting an error message that it cant refresh\comunicate with the isp servers, are these the right settings
On the server.. Primary is shown as 212.159.13.49 & secondary as 212.159.13.50.
On the router. primary is shown as 212.159.6.10 & secondary as 212.159.6.9
Totally lost when it comes down to settings
Thanks
Robert
11 REPLIES 11
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Help with DNS settings

All four IP addresses respond to DNS queries for me...
What is the precise text of the error message?  
I assume (as your server DNS settings are different) that you're not using DHCP to configure the IP address of the server.  Have you entered the correct gateway?
crobertbailey
Grafter

Hi attached is the message that i get i am on a fixed ip and get this message every time i log into the server, i have 192.198.1.254 as the gateway and the usual 255 subnet with an ip of 192.168.1.1 which is outside the DHCP range.
Thanks
Robert
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

What are you trying to do? That error message sounds like you've mixed up the DNS servers with "Dynamic DNS" settings which are for having your domain at somewhere like http://www.dyndns.com/ or http://www.no-ip.com/ automatically updated whenever your external IP address changes. If you're on a static IP then you don't really need a dynamic dns server (unless you wanted it just for some sort of hostname, easier to remember than an IP address).
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Looks like a DDNS updater giving the error.
Do you have a software firewall blocking the DDNS?
If the server (?) is a windows PC, test DNS lookup is working with the following in a command prompt.
nslookup bbc.co.uk.
crobertbailey
Grafter

Sorry don't really know about this sort of thing i have a whs 2011 set up and just wanted to set it up with a static ip so i can remote in easier and filled in all the details i thought i needed, so are you saying i just delete the DNS settings (bottom of the page when setting up your ip settings) and just fill in ip address, subnet, and gateway
Getting time outs when running nslookup bbc.co.uk on the server
Thanks
Robert
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

You're talking about the WAN IP address. Do you have a static IP address from Plusnet?
I've never used WHS, but would not have thought you enter your WAN IP in the config. Try setting it to "automatically obtain IP addresses" to get thing's started and go forward from there.
Hopefully someone will come along, with experience of WHS, who can help you further.
Note:
You will need to port forward the relevant ports in the router to be able to remote access, also the same applies for any web servers you may wish to run.
crobertbailey
Grafter

Thanks for the reply yes i have a static ip address and have forwarded the correct ports, i had this running with virgin and before that O2 and never seen the fault come up before
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you requested and paid for a static IP here: https://portal.plus.net/AddOns.html ?
If so you should NOT have changed any settings to do with this on your router. As far as the router is concerned you will still be on a dynamic IP but Plusnet will assign you the same IP every time.
If you have entered anything here you should remove it as that is nothing to do with what you are trying to do.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
crobertbailey
Grafter

Thanks Jelv that link doesn't take me any where, i am using a billion 7800n router, yes i have a plusnet static ip and didn't change anything in the routers setup except for port forwarding and assigning my connected devices fixed ip addresses and of course the username and password, its the DNS server addresses that is mixing me up.
Do i have to put anything in there and what do i put in, if i check the plusnet site i get 2 sets of addresses one prefered and one alternative, but if i look in the router i get a different set of both numbers
Thanks
Robert
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The message about dynamic DNS not updating is absolutely nothing to do with DNS settings. DNS settings are what is used when you try to make a connection out to the internet. Dynamic DNS settings are where you've registered a name so that people connecting to you can do it by a friendly name not by IP. As you are fixed IP they will be able to contact your server using <username>.plus.com. Somewhere in your router you will have dynamic DNS settings which are not needed.
For DNS settings you should be able to leave that set to obtain automatically.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

If you've entered IP details into the server TCP/IP config page (rather than left as auto assign) then you'll also need to enter DNS details.  These can be two of any of the four addresses you've quoted previously, the router IP or any other public DNS servers.
What IP address have you given your server?  What subnet mask?  What gateway?
If you type 'nslookup www.bbc.co.uk 8.8.8.8' do you get a response?  Also try 'nslookup www.bbc.co.uk 212.159.13.49'
Once you've got basic networking going on the server you can then move on to getting port forwarding working...