cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help setting up second email address

revjohnk

Help setting up second email address

Hi everyone, can someone give me some guidance as to what I am doing wrong. I have set up an email address and a profile for my wife  in a bid to keep her emails separate to mine. What happens is that when an email for her comes in it goes both to my mailbox and to hers, eg two copies. This defeats the object! She can log on using her profile when Outlook boots up but I still seem to get two copies. Any guidance gratefully received.
John K
11 REPLIES 11
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Help setting up second email address

Outlook or Outlook Express
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Have you got Outlook configured to collect from both profiles? I can see 22 mails in your inbox and only 3 in hers at the moment. Do you get the same thing if you log in to webmail (http://webmail.plus.net)?
revjohnk

I'm using Outlook.  I get all emails, hers and mine in webmail. I assumed a separate profile would sort it, but it has not. John K
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Would it be correct to assume that you are using the same windows login to access Outlook if so you would need to set up a second profile as you say - this may help
http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/microsoftOutlook2003/advancedOutlookTutorials/usingMultipleProfile...
revjohnk

Currently it's the same PC, same Outlook, two profiles, hers and mine  -  do I need a different password for hers perhap's?  They both have the same username@plusdsl.net but her profile with her email address.    In Outlook, All Mail folders, has hers "name" tacked on to the end of  "Personal folders".  When Outlook opens up I get the option to choose either my profile or hers. Hope this makes sense to you, not sure it does to me.
John K
Oldjim
Resting Legend

and if you select your profile do you get her emails and vice versa
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

username@plusdsl.net is your broadband login. Format for mailboxes is accountname+mailboxname (though if it's the default mailbox you just need to log in with the account name i.e. the bit before the @ sign) so that could be causing some issues maybe.
Do you have the same username set for both Outlook profiles?
revjohnk

No, different usernames. Thanks for URL, but it shed no light. I think I need to delete all and start again. I don't seem to be able to change away from my default account - at least can't find a way to remove default so that I get the choice of profiles when Outlook boots up.  Thanks for help so far.
John K
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this guide on the PN help pages is pretty good http://www.plus.net/support/email/newemail.shtml?supporta=addaddress
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Just thinking too, it might be worth setting up separate profiles (each profile containing the details for a different account) instead of just the one profile with both accounts set within it - assuming you haven't done that already. That should ensure that the mails go into different folders. I think that's set up in tools > profiles as opposed to tools > email accounts.
Hope that helps,
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: orbrey
I think that's set up in tools > profiles as opposed to tools > email accounts.

That would be Control Panel > mail or Control Panel > User Accounts > Mail depending on how Control Panel is configured. Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine