cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help required on line/BB fault

mikehale77

Help required on line/BB fault

I am in the third week of suffering dl speeds of 100-200 mb. During this time I have been regraded to ADSL2+, have interleaving switched on and am now banded at the lowest possible band.
I have no test socket and my master socket ( the one with a bell capacitor in) is down stream of a line block feeding my extensions. The wiring in the loft is just looped over the roof jousts. It was all done by BT engineers 20+ years ago. From the gable-end of the house the cable runs overhead and through some trees to a telegraph pole, down to an underground section to the next pole, up to overhead again and away through more trees. I have no idea where my cabinet is.
The phone line nearly always has a hiss on it and sometimes quite severe crackling. BT seem unwilling to recognise the line is faulty.
My previous Netgear DG834G v4 and a new Thomson TG585 v8 are unable to maintain the line for more than a few hours. Both were on the master socket and using wireless to the PC.
When I was with TalkTalk on LLU there were periodic disconnects but at least when it worked I was getting about 4Mb.
Help!

Mike
5 REPLIES
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Help required on line/BB fault

Hi Mike,
I've asked Ben T to take a look at this for you, he should be along shortly with an update.
Community Veteran

Nice to speak to you today Smiley
As discussed, I've put the line on a 24 hour test to see if any external fault can be identified. If not, we'll get the engineer to come and test from your house to try to identify the source of the noise. I'll keep you updated as soon as I get the results back!
mikehale77

Ben,
The line is getting worse. Everytime i pick up a phone the DSL goes down, and the phone line is so bad that calls are getting disconnected.
Mike
Community Veteran

As per my update on your ticket, BT have accepted the escalation and I've sent them further information about the calls cutting off and the poor quality drop cable that seems to be the culprit. As soon as they request an engineer's visit I'll let you know. Could you text back or update the ticket to let me know your availability? Thanks.
mikehale77

Here are the latest stats
The phone is not taking DSL down at the moment.

DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 12:22:30
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 888 / 4,488
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 440 / 287
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 12.54 / 61.71
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 39.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 24.0 / 9.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 83 / 0