cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please - Novice trying to get my Chromecast set up

Joders

Help please - Novice trying to get my Chromecast set up

I am trying to set up a Chromecast and I'm experiencing the same difficulties as others previously whereby it fails towards the end of the set up process.
I found the hopefully very helpful advice here https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=123894.0 and I've done step 2 but now I'm lost!  Where do I put the code?  Should I insert the code for all the remaining steps one at a time and voila?  I can see the Chromecast listed under Home network but I'm still lost.
Any help gratefully appreciated - thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Help please - Novice trying to get my Chromecast set up

Are you trying to set up Chromecast with a US Netflix account?
Joders

No, just get it working for the first time.  I can get it to connect to wifi but then I get an error message saying "we could not communicate with your chromecast.  It's possible that your Chromecast and device are connected to networks that are unable to talk to one another.  This may require a small change in your WI-FI router settings".  When you click to learn more it suggests "disable access point/AP isolation, also known as Client isolation or guest mode, on your router" or Enable UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) also known as multicast on your router.
Can't get help on the phone to Plusnet as it's advanced.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Hi Joders,
Welcome to the forums.
Your last post might just have the right clue.  If you have the PN TG582n router then go here - http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/games/cfg/?be=0&l0=3&l1=4 - you will be prompted to log on.  On that page you can enable UPnP - may be that will help?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

Also reconnect your Chromecast to your TV. I often have to give mine a tweek.
Joders

Thank you Townman.  I tried your link but it's already enabled.  I found this https://support.unlocator.com/customer/portal/articles/1501508-how-to-set-up-technicolor-router-for-... but I don't understand where I would put the code.
Joders

tijara33 - I think it's in ok.  It's a new purchase so only just plugged it in.  Were you ok on setup then?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Quote from: Joders
Thank you Townman.  I tried your link but it's already enabled.  I found this https://support.unlocator.com/customer/portal/articles/1501508-how-to-set-up-technicolor-router-for-... but I don't understand where I would put the code.

Reading through all of that informs me that the code needs to be put into the router via a telnet session run from a DOS prompt.  If you don't know how to do this, you should not try.
This is hacking the router and if you get it wrong it will screw up your normal internet access.
Frankly this looks like a hack to use US Nextflix instead of UK services.  PlusNet DNS servers ought to give you access to legitimate services.
Quote from: AndyH
Are you trying to set up Chromecast with a US Netflix account?

Quote from: Joders
No, just get it working for the first time.

Anyone know why these guides suggest hacking the DNS servers and redirecting calls to Google's DNS servers?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BORISDSH

Got chromecast today and was worried having read all comments about problems with technicolor router but up an running in half an hour. Only thing I did wrong initially was when it asks for password I input the actual password from the plusnet card(YOUR ROUTER SETUP DETAILS) . When it failed I realised it wanted the wireless network key, on the same card, rather than the router password. This it accepted and we were up and running, well almost . first it downloaded an update for the chromecast and then I tried a youtube video, no problems.  Don't have usb on tv but lead on mains adapter a generous length so no problem there.Hope this helps