cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with Lost Static IP

RB211

Help needed with Lost Static IP

Hi All,
Have just been moved into the unlimited package and have lost my static IP, I was assured by the advisor before I switched that I would still retain a static IP, have spoken to 2 PN technical advisors who have no idea if or when I will regain se if static IP, Have had faultless service for nearly 2 years until this point, require that static IP for remote access to a server.
40 REPLIES 40
Routefinder
Grafter

Re: Help needed with Lost Static IP

Hi
I understood they were supposed to be rolling out a fix to avoid this situation happening (again) and I for one am holding off the upgrade until there is a guarantee that I will not lose the IP  Smiley
RB211

Quote from: Routefinder
Hi
I understood they were supposed to be rolling out a fix to avoid this situation happening (again) and I for one am holding off the upgrade until there is a guarantee that I will not lose the IP  Smiley

I was assured by the advisor before switching that I would keep my static IP, I asked to be switched back to the previous package, which now "does not exist", so if it's not resolved within the next week I will be terminating and moving provider, would be a shame as up until now, Plusnet have been faultless.
Estragon
Rising Star

This is happening quite often, as has been said.  Most people get a new static IP address assigned within minutes by a simple call to support.
Maybe you were unlucky with who you got. Try again.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Would it cause you an issue if you were allocated a different static IP?
Moving you back to your old package would not get your old static IP back.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
RB211

Quote from: Estragon
This is happening quite often, as has been said.  Most people get a new static IP address assigned within minutes by a simple call to support.
Maybe you were unlucky with who you got. Try again.

Spoken to two advisors who said they were "working on a fix", I don't see what the big deal is to assign a static address?
RB211

Quote from: jelv
Would it cause you an issue if you were allocated a different static IP?
Moving you back to your old package would not get your old static IP back.

No I don't require the same IP, I can re-assign as requires so long as I have a static IP assigned, the problem they say is that the static IP cannot be selected on the new account's? Yet other forum users have reported this problems and been sorted in well under an hour?
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: RB211
Yet other forum users have reported this problems and been sorted in well under an hour?

Correct. Static IP is available on the Unlimited products, not the Essentials.New customers or existing ones who haven't got one prior to upgrade can add it as usual to their Add-ons.
People upgrading to Unlimited and losing their static IP are not offered it in their add-ons as that part of the system believes they already have one, even though the live connection doesn't.
... the problem they say is that the static IP cannot be selected on the new account's?

Maybe the particular support you have spoken to can only access the same facilities as we can, but others have higher access rights and can get at the cause of your loss and fix it. See the first part of this post.
Routefinder
Grafter

Sorry if I missed it elsewhere but why the heck is this not seen as a bug by BT & PlusNet?
When I upgraded from Premier Option 1 to Extra the static IP stuck as I would have expected it to but clearly(?) for some reason there is a marked minority of folk going for the Unlimited upgrade and losing their static IP..................and to my mind there the time to create a fix is rather too protracted what with it still happening  Huh
What is it about this upgrade compared to all others before that is giving rise to this issue???
Estragon
Rising Star

What's it got to do with BT?
Routefinder
Grafter

I think when the fix was being discussed PlusNet rep who mentioned it said it was BT involved in the 'fix'. ?
jim:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Either you remember wrong or the Plusnet rep was talking rubbish!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Absolutely nothing to do with BT, and we do see this as a bug. It's raised as an internal problem to be fixed.
@RB211
I've added a new static IP to your account, next time you disconnect/reconnect you'll be assigned it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Great to see this sorted, but are steps being taken to ensure that pending the fix customers raising this issue don't face the same battle to get someone who can do something to sort it out?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

We'll reiterate to the CSC that they can get an experienced agent or one of our team to add a new static IP for free if the customer doesn't mind it changing.
We're actually testing a fix today for this, hopefully that'll work but if not then we'll have to rely on the developers to fix it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.