cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed for novice

ardingly46
Dabbler

Re: Help needed for novice

Thanks, I will try that.  BTW, how will I know if or when the banding has been removed?
I will also go back to the tests sometime if I can find how to restart them and if I can overcome the difficulties I experienced with them earlier
Stan
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To restart them just go to http://faults.plus.net
ardingly46
Dabbler

Now I know why I abandoned the test
I am asked if I have tried a different router.  If I have not I may be charged if there is something wrong with my equipment
I don't know what that means exactly but the whole reason I am doing this test is because I suspect there is something wrong with my equipment and it looks as if I might be charged for finding out
I came to this forum in the hope of assistance in resolving this
harps1h
Grafter

Remember.............NEVER TURN YOUR ROUTER OFF AT ALL!!!
ardingly46
Dabbler

I've got that message loud and clear,.harps1h, but  I find it outrageous that it has been mooted that PlusNet have reduced my speed to that extent because I switch it off when not in use - I know it is not much, but I tend to switch off anything that is not actually operating
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: ardingly46
… I am asked if I have tried a different router.  If I have not I may be charged if there is something wrong with my equipment

That's true, but if you cooperate with the Faults Team it shouldn't get to that. If you don't have a spare router just answer "no" and press on. You could add a note to explain you don't have an alternative router to try in a "further information" box. If the Faults Team analysis diagnoses the problem is likely to be router related they might offer to lend you one. An engineer would be called only with your agreement.
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: ardingly46
.. I find it outrageous that it has been mooted that PlusNet have reduced my speed to that extent ...

Yes, that would be outrageous but your speed is actually controlled automatically by the equipment in your telephone exchange.  Plusnet have the power to make your connection slower than this automated equipment sets it but they cannot make it faster nor override it.
The equipment in the telephone exchange seeks to give you broadband which achieves the best compromise between speed and stability.  If it sees your line frequently disconnects it may conclude it is unstable and try to combat this - which has the consequence of reducing your broadband speed.  That is why you are advised to leave your router on all the time.  If you want to switch off your router, first log on to it and tell it to terminate the broadband session, then switch it off. 
harps1h
Grafter

Every time you switch the router off it sends the message to the automated system that there maybe a problem on your line. There is absolutely no reason to turn off your router as it use minimal amounts of power. Each disconnection will have an affect on your profile and it is the BT equipment that is changing it because it thinks your line is unstable and it reduces the profile to help stabalise the "faulty line" as it sees it. If you are not sure you are doing the right thing check here or with PN and they will guide you. Their faults team are very careful to give the best help they can, but for them to do that you must listen to what they are requesting of you, regardless of whether you think it is worthwhile or not. Your knowledge is clearly limited so listen to the advice given here..you will find in time your connection will increase as the systems in the exchange recognise you have a stable line because the connection is constant, not intermittent as it was when you kept turning off your router
ardingly46
Dabbler

Thanks all, I am beginning to understand some of  it and the problem is with the team now.
One small point re terminating a broadband session before switching off the router, my very limited knowledge suggests that as I always have switched off the PC before switching off the router, I have in fact always terminated a broadband session.
Anyway, it is on now and will stay on until I am told to do otherwise
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Switching off the computer doesn't terminate the broadband session as the router is still connected to the internet  even when the computer is switched off
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

If the faults team decide that your router is faulty, then it does not necessarily mean you have to pay for a new router.... all you need to do is to commit to staying with PlusNet for 12 months, and they will provide a router for the cost of the postage... However, if you decide to leave PlusNet before the 12 months, then they will charge you for it... The faults team, or sales, will be able to give you all the details...
As a point of interest, I have been with plusnet for some years now, and have not paid for a router, yet have had three .... leaving the router on all the time, is the best way to ensure your line is stable. My router only gets switched off when I go on holiday, when I switch off, and unplug everything electrical.... just been on hols for a week, and switched my router back on, did a speed test and it was exactly (well nearly, within a few bits) the same speed as when I switched it off a week ago....  (EDIT)  and in the time I have been with PlusNet, I think I have moved home about 4 or 5 times.... !
By switching off and on of the router, the electronic monitoring equipment at the exchange is seeing that as intermittent faults, like a bad connection being made and broken with the wind on the wires, so the equipment will drop the speed until it measures a stable speed that it can maintain.
I reckon if you were to compare your electric bill for the three months with switching on and off, and another where it was left on permanently, you would (possibly) see a difference of less than £1. balance that against the higher speed and reliability you would get with a permanently connected router, versus the problems you are now experiencing.
ardingly46
Dabbler

Got it - I live and learn
Stan
ardingly46
Dabbler

I thought it worth resurrecting this to hand thanks to the PN team and for all the helpful posts here.
Having left  my router on as told, after some while I was told the problem was cleared - in the end I had to phone and was told to reboot the router and sure enough I was getting over 3M.
That lasted a day and then I got a whole series of disconnections and back down went  the speed.  Raised a ticket and now up to over 4M.
This raises a couple of questions.
1 If  I get another series of dropped connections, will it eventually right itself  without intervention from PN - I am assuming here that PN have had to take some action to get me  right
2  In the event of another series of drops, is there any way to determine whether it is  my  router having a bad day, or if it is a line problem (and what do I do then if it is)
Stan
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The first thing to do if you start getting disconnections is to listen to the phone line, especially if you can catch it immediately after a disconnection. Another thing is to check if the disconnections correspond to use of the phone (incoming or outgoing call).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ardingly46
Dabbler

OK, so I listen to the phone line - if I get a clear dialling tone and the phone has not been in use, what does that mean in terms of whether or not it is a router problem?
Question one is  important to me, any ideas?