cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed - changing router on fibre optic broadband

Eddie36

Help needed - changing router on fibre optic broadband

Hi All
Just wondered if anybody has tried upgrading the original WNR10000 Netgear router supplied with the Fibre optic Broaband?
I bought a Netgear WNDR3400 and tried to install it on the weekend, but I can't get the new router to recognise that it is receiving a broadband signal.
I've mirrored all the settings from the original router but the internet signal LED (on the router) just flashes once every 10 secs and no matter what I do it won't stay lit. Also the LAN light on the modem won't turn on with the new router but comes on straight away when I use the old one.
When I plug the old router back in it works fine, it seems as though the new router isn't connecting with the modem properly.
Is there something I need to do get the modem to accept the new router?
Any help would be much appreciated.
jim:red All caps in Title changed as per Forum Rules mod:end
5 REPLIES 5
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Help needed - changing router on fibre optic broadband

Eddie36

Thanks for your response but no, when I run the smart wizard on the new router it doesn't recognize that it's getting any internet signal. I'm sure it's got something to do with the LAN settings and the modem not allowing the new router to access the internet.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

The BT Openreach modem should work equally well with any router that can connect using ethernet and establish a PPPoE connection, the WNDR3400 should be perfectly suitable.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Eddie36

Yeah thats what I thought, could it be a faulty router or am I missing something out?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

The router should pick up the WAN signal from the fibre modem in the same way as your previous router so there could be a problem there. You might want to try performing a factory reset.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team