Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed - FAO Plusnet staff

riccardob
Grafter

Help needed - FAO Plusnet staff

Hi,
My username is riccardob.
My broadband has been slow since last Thursday. I rang a BT speedcheck and the download speed is about 180kps. The diagnostic tool says that the max whould be 500kps which obviously isn't right.
Could someone look into this for me ASAP please? I can hardly do anything online.
I am currently writing from work but I am assuimg you can locate my details via username.
Regards,
19 REPLIES 19
riccardob
Grafter

Re: Help needed - FAO Plusnet staff

ok here are the details from bt speed test:
download speed achieved during test was 0.38mbps
for your connection acceptable range is 0.1 to 0.5mbps
ip profile of line is 0.41mbps
upload speed is 0.83mbps
upstream ip profile = 0.83mbps

here are the results from the modem test:

Line Mode ADSL2+ Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 00:08:08:55
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1
Line Power State L0

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 462 Kbps 1048 Kbps
Noise Margin 30.1 dB 7.0 dB
Line Attenuation 41.0 dB 22.9 dB
Output Power 0.0 dBm 12.4 dBm
MSGC (number in overhead channel data) 61 45
B (number of bytes in Mux Frame) 14 45
M (number of Mux Frames in FEC Frame) 1 1
T (Mux Frames over sync bytes) 1 1
R (number of check bytes in FEC Frame) 16 0
S (ratio of FEC over PMD Frame length) 0.9688 1.3731
L (number of bits in PMD Frame) 256 268
D (interleaver depth) 32 1
Super Frames 1807778 1807776
Super Frame Errors 0 0
RS Words 121121192 0
RS Correctable Errors 36 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0
HEC Errors 0 0
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
ES Errors 0 0
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You have been banded - has the line been unstable (multiple disconnections) is there noise on the phone line
riccardob
Grafter

no disconnections. The only issues was the outage last Saturday which I am not sure it is related to my problem as this started Friday.
Phone line appears normal.
Can anyone help at PS end?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well it looks like something caused a modem/router reboot 8hrs 08 minutes before you took those stats, unless it was switched off previously.
Please say whether it's been on 24/7 or not., and if it wasn't what time you switched it on.
Try this when you get back. Login to the modem/router interface 192.168.1.254  and In the Broadband Connection section where it says Internet - click on Disconnect (see here for guidance if needed, select the FAQs and troubleshooting, go to para.4 See Step 3), this drops the Internet session to Plusnet. When is shows not connected, power down the modem/router. Wait about 10 minutes and power up again. You may need to login to the modem/router again and click "Connect" to re-establish the PPP Internet session.
Immediately take a set of stats and post them.
P.S. If at any time you need to swap filters, plug into the test socket or do anything that will cause the sync to drop, use that Disconnect procedure and power down.
riccardob
Grafter

I deliberatelt booted the modem last night.
Do I really need to disconnect my BT voyager modem? The reason I am asking is that I'm not sure I can remember the password.
Would it help if I tried connecting a different modem to the mastersocket and then download the stats?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes
riccardob
Grafter

OK thanks. I will try with a different modem this evening and will then post the results.
If the results show that there is a fault I would expect a ticket to be raised tomorrow morning without having to go through the whole process again via call centre. I hope this would be the case.
Anotherone
Champion

Don't try a different modem/router first -
As you have accessed the stats, then you should be able to follow the Disconnect procedure, as you say it's a Voyager (which model?) then the login IP is 192.168.1.1 unless you have changed it. You must have known the password, to get the stats!
The reason for following the "Disconnect" procedure is so that the exchange equipment doesn't think you have a problem (or worse problem than you may have) with a dropping line, when it then raises the target noise margin to try and stabilise the line, this results in slower speeds. If you just reboot instead, the exchange can interpret this as a dropped connection.
As you say that you rebooted last night, there would have been more noise than during the day, so you get a lower sync speed anyway, but yours is so low, it would be a good idea to see what speed you get if you follow the procedure in daylight, and grab the stats immediately after you've synced with the exchange.
However, also, unplug everything else from the line (anything else should also be connected via filters), whilst it powered down and if you do you have a spare filter swap that before powering back up. Don't plug anything else back in until you've taken the first stats.
If you have another modem/router that would be a good thing to try after if the very low sync speed problem is still present. Again follow the "disconnect" procedure each time you swap anything.
You'll need to login to the new modem/router to put your Broadband login information in (unless it's one you've used on Plusnet before).
But again grab a set of stats immediately after power up.
riccardob
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
You'll need to login to the new modem/router to put your Broadband login information in (unless it's one you've used on Plusnet before).
But again grab a set of stats immediately after power up.

i am borrowing a modem from another plusnet user. do I need to login my details or will it work with current details?
thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

It will work with their login - but if that is a spare router of their they MUST be disconnected before you try to connect.
All usage while you are connected using their login would be recorded against their account.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

i am borrowing a modem from another plusnet user. do I need to login my details or will it work with current details?

You'd need to try your details to test the connection.
Your line's estimate in terms of download speeds is actually 7mb, with that in mind can you connect to the test socket (assuming you have one) so I can run another line test to compare to the one I've just performed? : http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
riccardob
Grafter

adam,
tried master socket with my modem and a different modem (thomson), still slow as hell.
I have tried everything can you please raise a ticket for this fault?
I tried raising one via website but some of the questions refer to drop in connection  / flashing light. My light is always on but the speed is slow so it is not a matter of disconnection but the question options don't allow this option.
Can you raise it for me please?
Here are the stats with the different modem used in the mastersocket:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.48 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds  is 0.1 Mbps-0.5 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.5 Mbps
2. Upstream Test:  -provides background information.
Upload Speed
1.02 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed
Upload speed  achieved during the test was - 1.02Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

Modem stats:
DSL Connection
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:25:28

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,244 / 572

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 0.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 38.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.0 / 26.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Anotherone
Champion

Well, unfortunately, those stats were 25 minutes after you connected, but they do suggest a bad and intermittent connection.
Can you hear any audible noise - crackling noises, on your phone line when you use the phone?
riccardob
Grafter

Well the line is not completely quiet. I can hear crackling noises even though they are very very low. Still not completely quiet though.
I can hear this through the test socket too.
I hope plusnet can escalate this to fault level.
jim:quote