cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me get fibre!

garysargent
Dabbler

Help me get fibre!

My exchange (WAKEFIELD) is fibre enabled and accepting orders.
My cabinet (number 98) was upgraded a couple of weeks back - new style one put next to the old one.
Despite this the dslchecker site makes NO mention of fibre. Not even an estimated date.
I found another site that claims cabinet 98 is being upgrade as part of BDUK: http://fttc-check.alc.im/search/WF28YF
So it seems now both my exchange and cabinet have been upgraded, but I still can't have fibre as the Openreach computer says no! Surely just a data fault and they haven't updated the checker - yet despite this Plus.net won't upgrade me to fibre as all they see is it being unavailable.
Please - can Openreach not be phoned to check on this data as it makes no sense that there is not even an estimated date?! I tried calling Openreach myself and as expected they just told me to call BT. I tried BT and they told me to contact Openreach. Sigh. Someone save me!!!
9 REPLIES 9
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Help me get fibre!

The best advice I can give is to register your interest in FTTC here: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen.aspx
garysargent
Dabbler

I have already registered long ago.
If the exchange is upgraded, and the cabinet is upgraded, what is there left to wait for?
It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that the data Openreach provides is incorrect. It makes no sense whatsoever that Openreach would not even have an estimated date. Is it too much to ask for my provider to call them on my behalf and check this?
x47c
Grafter

Just because a new cabinet is put beside the old one does not mean it is connected up and working.
They need
1 Drag out the fibre though the (usually blocked) ducts from the exchange to the cabinet
2. Arrange for a power supply to be acquired and laid to cabinet from somewhere nearby
3. do all the commissioning/trials tests necessary.
You are probably talking months yest not weeks.
garysargent
Dabbler

Yes appreciate that - though wouldn't you then expect to see an estimated date on the dslchecker site - rather than zero information?
If there was an estimated date at least I would know they were doing something - even if the date changes and it gets pushed back. Zero information with activity at the cabinet suggests to me they aren't updating the checker properly for my cabinet, and if that is the case how am I supposed to know it isn't available already and the checker is just wrong?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It's happening to my parents too. An FTTC Cabinet was placed about 3 weeks ago. That said, I've found information on the Local Councils site which shows that their area is only in Phase 1 and they are rolling it out in a variety of different villages all as part of the same project.
It's just a case of being patient and keeping an eye on the BT Availability Checker I think 😕
tonycollinet
Grafter

With BDUK projects, the checker doesn't give a projected date. It just fires up and shows fibre as soon as it is enabled.
I had the FTTC cab installed a few months ago, then about 1 month ago a new PCP was installed, then  1 week ago the checker showed availability, and so did plusnets upgrade system.

So yes, just a case of waiting and checking frequently. Might also be worth contacting your local BDUK project to see if they have any better schedule (Mine would only commit to "from Summer on"
garysargent
Dabbler

Thanks have emailed BDUK already. Good to know this is how BDUK projects work, but a bit naff that they can't provide estimates through the checker!
So if the cabinet appeared a couple of weeks ago how long might we be talking about? There is already fibre in the area as the cabinet over the road to mine has been enabled a while back and is already accepting orders - so presumably they don't need to pull fibre all the way from the Exchange?
garysargent
Dabbler

The description of the latest work on the cabinet site is truncated, but is says: Install 1m of 1 way poly duct in Verge,Install 4m of 1 way poly duct in Footway,Provide 1 Provide/Re...
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

My fibre cab was installed 6 months before it went live. Once they have a date the checker will be updated. In your case, patience is a virtue! Roll_eyes