cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me boost my speed :)

ColUFC
Dabbler

Help me boost my speed :)

I've been with Plusnet for several years. I think the speed I'm getting could be improved.
BTW Performance Test results:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 7.46 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 8.08 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.98Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps
Plusnet Member Centre info:
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
8 Mb
I live in a flat. There are 14 other flats. I used the Availability Checker on the Plusnet/BT websites to see what the estimates are for each flat:
Flat 1 -  11Mb
Flat 2 -  12Mb
Flat 3 -  12Mb
Flat 4 -    8Mb
Flat 5 -  12Mb
Flat 6 -  11Mb
Flat 7 -  11Mb
Flat 8 -  11Mb
Flat 9 -    7Mb
Flat 10 - 12Mb
Flat 11 - 17Mb
Flat 12 - 12Mb
Flat 13 - 13Mb
Flat 14 - 13Mb
Flat 15 - 11Mb
I'm in Flat 6. The owner of Flat 14 is also with Plusnet and says he gets 11Mb.
Flat 11 is the one to live in 😉
No noise on the phone line at all.
Thanks.
21 REPLIES 21
ColUFC
Dabbler

Re: Help me boost my speed :)

DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 1 day, 22:33:49
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,228 / 9,828
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,228 / 9,156
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 94.86 / 490.07
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.5 / 28.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 636,576 / 1,625,881
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 10,271 / 1,894
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 14 / 30,824
cedlor
Grafter

You have quite a lot of faults showing for 2 days - is there some reason your router has only been on for 2 days.
Are you testing this with an ethernet cable to your router and is the router plugged (via a filter if required) into the test socket on the Master Socket.
Have you tried a different filter/ different ethernet cable.
Have you noticed a drop in speed or is it what you usually get.
ColUFC
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply.
1. I have rebooted the router several times in the last couple of days when I've moved it between master socket/test socket/other sockets to see whether that would have any effect on the IP Profile and line speeds achieved. The master socket was marginally faster, the speed went up from around 7.5 Mb to 7.7 Mb.
2. All tests on the various sockets have been made using wi fi. All sockets have filters attached.
3. I've tried different filters. I haven't tried with ethernet cables.
4. I've been at this address for over 2 years. This speed of around 7.5Mb has been steady throughout this period. It is rare for the router to drop out. I thought I'd investigate my speed further when I found what others were getting.
cedlor
Grafter

OK - Is your master one of these  http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/master-socket-guide.shtml
If not can you post a picture of yours.  Also next time you are disconnected can you carefully
look inside and post a picture of the connections to extensions and a picture of the inside of an extension socket
(are the extensions  hard wired bt extensions or a series of DIY ones with ebay cables.
ColUFC
Dabbler

Thanks again.
The master socket is an NTE5.
Can I clarify the pictures you need? You want a picture of the innards of the NTE5 and a picture of the innards of an extension socket?
The 15 flats where I live were constructed from scratch in 2002/03 so hopefully the extensions were installed by BT.
cedlor
Grafter

They are probably ok then if you have a NT5  master  but when trying to test speed problems you need to try
using wired connection to the router which should be plugged into the inside test socket via a filter.
To do that you will have to carefully remove the front plate taking care with the wired extensions (which will be disconnected).
While it is off you may as well do a picture of how the wires are connected.
When moving the cable to the test socket first get the stats then disconnect if possible by dropping the internet connection first ,waiting
a minute before unplugging the router.
By the way what router do you have?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Welcome to the forum ColUFC, btw.
Beware any further disconnects at the moment! Too many in a short space of time could make the automated Dynamic Line Management act and either band the speed (the opposite of what you want) or raise the Target SNRM which will result in slower speed.
The Stats look as though they are from the TG582n is that right? Where are you currently plugged in?
ColUFC
Dabbler

Thank you both.
Since Anotherone has advised avoiding any further disconnects for the moment I'll put cedlor's suggestion of doing a wired test via the test socket on ice for the time being. Let me know if and when you want me to try it.
To answer your questions:
1. The router is a Thomson TG585 v8.
2. The router is currently plugged in to an extension socket in our lounge. The master socket is contained within a cupboard in our entrance hallway. When we first moved in a couple of years ago I connected the router to the master socket. The problem with this was we use our laptops in the lounge. There are a couple of walls and two doors between the master socket and the lounge. The wi fi signal wasn't strong enough and the laptops would regularly disconnect from the router. Once I moved the router to the lounge we had no further problems. As I mentioned above the difference in speed between being connected to the master socket as against the extension socket was marginal.
I'll get the photos you've asked for in the next day or so and post them here.
I did read through a number of posts on here before composing my own. I wondered whether this one:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,142633.0.html
might identify a possible cause for my speed being slower than that of nearby flats. In the hope it would I gave my post the same title.  Wink Could it be as simple as this?
Anotherone
Champion

Not that, you are above the 8128 speed which would be the case for ADSL1, also from the stats - "DSL Type:   G.992.5 annex A" - that's ADSL2+ Wink
I suspect it's wiring related. I'll post back later with the safest way to disconnect, and the best way to check these things and what photos are ideal.
Re:your previous tests at the "Master" socket, can you confirm whether this was just the master socket front plate or the test socket behind - see this Test Socket. Don't test now, that means disconnecting.
ColUFC
Dabbler

Thanks. My recent tests were at the master socket front plate. It's some time since I tested using the test socket behind the front plate.
Anotherone
Champion

OK, bearing in mind that you are hoping to get a speed improvement eventually, it will probably be best for you to do the following in daylight hours. Noise levels tend to be greater between dusk and dawn and can therefore reduce the margin, so a resync in these times can end up with a slower speed. In the meantime, if you are able to post some stats later, at least a couple of hours after dark, it'll give us a feel for how much your line might be affected.
When you have been doing a few reboots, or have a dropping connection, or error levels are quite high, it's always wise to be cautious and do any Disconnects or Resyncs "Gracefully".
A "Graceful Disconnect" means logging into the modem/router interface, going to the Internet connection box shown here for the 585 and first clicking "Disconnect" - this drops the PPP(oA) Internet session to one's ISP (that's not the sync to the exchange), wait about a minute, and then pull the power plug of the modem/router (that's of course when sync will cease) - don't just simply unplug it from the line.
After about another minute you can unplug it from the line if you need to change anything, investigate wiring etc, but stay offline for at least 10 minutes. When you re-connect and power up, you may need to Login to the Modem/Router and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, then leave it for the rest of the day. The method is to help stop the Exchange DLM from thinking your sync loss was a dropped connection.
Right, before doing the "Graceful disconnect" grab a copy of the current stats and post them. Then whilst you are powered down and off-line, carefully remove the NTE5a front plate being careful not to pull out the attached wiring from the plate. Plug a filter into the Test Socket along with the modem/router. Carry on below if 10 minutes haven't elapsed since powering down. Then power up and login and grab a copy of the new stats and post them. This will give an indication of what your line might achieve. Leave it running whilst you continue below.
Look at the extension wiring connected to the faceplate. Depending on how many extensions you have and where they are located, you may see more than one set of wires. Hopefully you are going to see a Blue+white trace on terminal 2 & a White+blue trace on terminal 5. You will probably see an Orange+white trace on terminal 3 and possibly a White+orange trace on 4. It's this pair we need to disconnect in a broadband extension setup, but especially the "bell-wire" on terminal 3.
Carefully remove those wires by gently pulling them vertically from the terminals being very careful not to pull out the wires from terminals 2 & 5. Loosely twist the remove pair together and wrap them back out of the way so they won't touch any terminals when you refit the plate.You may see a green pair on terminals 1 & 6, these can be ignored. Now do the same at every extension socket. If you accidentally pull a wire out of terminal 2 or 5 don't push it back in with a screwdriver in the jaws of the terminal, use a suitable bluntish instrument and push the wire down either side of the terminal. Tweezers have been used to do this. (The correct method is to use an IDC tool). The terminals are Insulation Displacement Connectors, they displace the insulation and grip the wire. Any opening of the jaws would leave a bad connection.
A picture of the back of the faceplate when the wiring is resolved would be good and a picture of the wiring at say one of the extension sockets. (If any of the wiring you see has different colours post a description of that as well as pictures.)
One you've done all that, bearing in mind the modem/router is connected to the Test socket, grab another set of stats and then do another Graceful disconnect. Remove the filter from the test socket, refit the Faceplate, refit any extension sockets not done, and re-install the modem/router at it's usual location. If 10 minutes have elapsed, power up, log in and grab the new stats and post them and any other information.
Hope that's clear enough, ask away if you have any queries.
ColUFC
Dabbler

Wow! Thank you, that is very clear although I admit you've scared the living bejesus out of me.  Shocked
I shall read this again tomorrow at least three times and see if I can pluck up the courage to attempt what you've advised.
I'm off to bed but here's the latest stats from the router that you requested. Nighty nighty.
DSL Connection
Link Information
Uptime: 3 days, 6:25:00
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,232 / 9,372
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,228 / 9,156
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 182.21 / 755.79
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 18.5 / 28.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 4.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 1,152,096 / 4,141,703
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 25,644 / 3,354
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 32 / 52,272
Anotherone
Champion

The DS SNRM has dropped somewhat, which is what I would expect under the current circumstances. So yes do have a good read, and pluck up the courage, it's all precautionary and fairly straightforward once you get stuck in, nothing to worry about. Once the wiring is sorted, hopefully you'll see an improvement in speed.
Estragon
Rising Star

Quote from: ColUFC
Wow! Thank you, that is very clear although I admit you've scared the living bejesus out of me.  Shocked

It's quite simple really, just take it slowly and calmly :).
I have known many people gain over 1Mbps simply by removing the wire on T3 on the back of the master faceplate. The other wire removals are less important but can help.
The one thing to add is that when you "wrap things back" out of the way, do not push them in the space behind the test socket. That's where the incoming wires are and anything touching those could really mess things up.
You'll be fine.