Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Understanding Traffic Management

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Help Understanding Traffic Management

With the router plugged in to the test socket inside the master socket could you repost the stats you gave in reply #21 please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

And just to add if it's an intermittent fault, it's quite possible two engineers may not find it.
Extra thought - so that we can compare with what Chris saw, can you post the stats he put on the ticket as well?
paulinebailey
Dabbler

Hi,
Apologies I could not post the stats last night, but my husband was streaming the Newcastle match and wouldn't let me anywhere near the sockets  Smiley
Here is what Chris from Plusnet gave me as my stats last night (I checked and my line speed last night was 1.2meg):
Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 34.8 56.0
SNR Margin: 13.0 19.0
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0
Cell Count: 2063661 5218221
Speed: 448 1984

Maximum Stable Rate (KBPS): 2272 Fault Threshold Rate (KBPS): 1817
Mean Time Between Retrains (Seconds): 86400 Mean Time Between Errors Upstream (Seconds): 86400
Indicative Line Quality: G Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 277

This morning my line is reading 1.39meg - the most its ever been.
Do you still want me to post the stats from the master socket?
Chris - thanks for posting me the stats in a PM.
Pauline
Anotherone
Champion

Yes please.
My suspicion is you have an intermittent line problem.
Can you hear/have your heard any audible crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone, or had any problems with outgoing or incoming calls - eg.on incoming calls it seems to ring briefly and cut-off but if you pick up someone is there, or you later speak to someone and they said it cut off when they rang you?  Who do you currently pay line rental to?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Definitely - but it must be when using the test socket inside the master socket.
That will tell us the best your line can do and whether the internal wiring is dragging things down.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Anotherone
Champion

Pauline, here is an extra bit of advice for the future as well -
Use this Disconnect method whenever you want to change anything, resync, reboot, change sockets, etc. - it helps prevent the Exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection issue (or a worse one than you may have) -
Log in to the modem/router and go to the Internet box and click "Disconnect" on the PPP(oA) Internet connection - this drops the session to the ISP but not the sync. Wait a few moments and then power down the modem/router. Again wait a minute and unplug from the line. Make whatever changes you want offline and take at least 10 minutes. (When you want to make configuration changes to the modem/router power it up but stay offline, ie not plugged into the filter).
When done, reconnect and power up, log in to the Interface and click "Connect" on the PPP(oA) Internet connection when/if it hasn't done so automatically. If you look at the stats immediately after sync, the Noise Margin showing is usually the current Target margin.
(You can use Disconnect/Connect on the Internet session without a power down to Gateway hop).
I recommend not using that method more than 5 times in an hour and then leave it for the rest of the day.
Edit: If we can discover what's happening on your line and get it resolved,  your line ought to achieve somewhere around 3Mbps.