Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Understanding Traffic Management

paulinebailey
Dabbler

Help Understanding Traffic Management

Hi,
Could someone please help me with understanding Traffic Management?  The reason I ask is due to the following:
I used to be on Sky Broadband a couple of years ago and had no problems watching Iplayer and streaming video.  I then received a good offer from Plusnet and switched.  Ever since i switched I have not been able to stream Iplayer etc. as it stutters very badly.  Plusnet say that I am far away from the box and can only get speeds of about 1meg and have had 2 engineers out to test the line.
Today I am at 0.2meg (frequent occurrence) and am so fed up of it I decided to change to BT as I have received a good offer from them.
I have called up Plusnet to get my MAC code but they have said to me their new unlimited package does not traffic manage.  However, when I go online to read reviews etc.  it states they do still traffic manage?
My question is do Plusnet still traffic manage or not?  I really cannot see the guy on the telephone telling lies but why does it still say they do on the website?
Traffic managing is the only difference I can see between Plusnet and Sky and is what I have attributed why I cant watch Iplayer etc. anymore.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Pauline
35 REPLIES 35
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Help Understanding Traffic Management

Hi,
Here's a really good blog written by Dave who works on our Products Team: http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimited-why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/
You can also find information on what types of traffic we manage and in what ways: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
If you've any further questions, please do let us know Smiley
P.S - I'm going to take a look over your connection now.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Are you able to try an alternative <a href="http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/microfilters-how-and-why.shtml">Microfilter</a>?
paulinebailey
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply.  I had read that blog and its really well written and helped me understand more about it.
I guess where I am coming from is that in my house their is just me and my husband.  I have an iphone, he has an ipad and we use them a tiny amount.  What we do use is Iplayer and my husband streams the football.
Therefore, there is nothing to 'manage' in my house in terms of gaming etc.
However, I am convinced (rightly or wrongly) that the speed coming into my house is 'managed'.  It never fell below 1meg with Sky but not is routinely falls below that to 0.2meg with Plusnet.  If I call up it gets better for a few days than back to 0.2meg.
I am I correct in thinking that the 'speed' into the house is managed between Plusnet customers?
Thanks
Helen
paulinebailey
Dabbler

Re: trying an alternative Microfilter, its all been done twice before, plus a new line box has been installed (all new cables as well) and 2 engineers have come out.
Thanks
Pauline
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

No you aren't right because if your sync speed with the exchange has dropped to a low level due to a line fault, this is nothing to do with Plusnet traffic managment. Do you know how to get your DSL stats from your modem/router? What model is it?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The problem that we have, is that your 'SNR Value' which dependent on the line, should range between 3db - 15db. yours, at the moment is 19db. The higher that figure is, the more it's going to push down your speeds.
In a sense, yes, it is managed, but it's very much dependent on your hardware and the quality of your line. We aim to provide the maximum your line can support. I can reset your line, that will move the SNR Value back to 6db, but we would be best keeping an eye on it over the coming days to see if that value creeps up again?
AndyH
Grafter

It's also worth checking to see if there are any plans for fibre broadband in your area - you can check from here: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/
1 meg is probably about bare minimum for streaming these days.
paulinebailey
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, no I dont know how to get the DSL - can you point me in the right direction?
The model is Technicolor TG582.
Do you think moving to BT would help me (in relation to their traffic management policies)?
Thanks for your help.
Anotherone
Champion

This is a sync speed  & profile problem from what Chris is saying, may be due to an ongoing line fault (which you'd only take to another provider anyway!) so we need to see some stats and ask a few other questions.
I'll post the link for how to get the stats next.
See For the 582n http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/technicolor-582n-faqs.shtml#lineStats for guidance
paulinebailey
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Yes please re-set it.  I am not sure if thats what the staff in Plusnet keep doing when I call up but whatever they do helps for a few days and then back to square one.
I have a brand new Samsung TV and the Iplayer wont stream from that but is a little better from an Ipad.  The football however is bad from the Ipad.
The line is new so its not any problems with my box or cables etc.
Unfortunately the super fast is not coming to my area until Summer 2014.
I am unsure whether switching to BT  will help me?
Thanks
Helen
paulinebailey
Dabbler

Thanks for the link.  I'll get the stats this afternoon and get back to you.
Much appreciated for everyones replies.
Pauline
Anotherone
Champion

Quote from: paulinebailey
I am unsure whether switching to BT  will help me?

No it won't, as I've said, if you have a line fault which sounds like a possibility, unless this is just the hang over from the last engineer's visit, you will only take the problem to any other provider. As Chris Pettitt is doing a Line reset for you, and as long as your Current Line speed (Login required) is updated to match the new BT IP Profile for the line, then you should see an immediate improvement. If there is still a line problem it will deteriorate again.
I'll look out for your stats this evening, though there'll be several people that could comment.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've put that SNR Reset through for you, your SNR looks to have jumped back up to 19db though, I still think there is an issue on the lien that we need to get looked at for you.
godsell4
Rising Star

Chris, based on what you can see should this customer be getting more than 0.2Mb ?

@ paulinebailey please can you raise a ticket with Plusnet and ask them to post your connection speed details on that ticket, and then can you please post them here so we can see?
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed