cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Please - Bad Connection Since Returning From Holiday

bobboulby
Grafter

Re: Help Please - Bad Connection Since Returning From Holiday

Thanks for the continued advice guys, the filtered faceplate certainly looks like an option if I can persuade my partner to let us have the router in our bedroom (where the master socket is). I'll look in to it some more.
@PlusNet, I keep getting re-sync events where my router will re-sync at about the same speed (around 18k) but there will be no loss of connection and nothing shows up in the router log. Following these I have no connectivity, (I can't ping past the router) and I have to disconnect/reconnect to get my connection back. This never happened before - are you sure that there is nothing wrong on the BT side?
Bob
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Bob,
When you had the issues were you connected to your master socket?
There's doesn't appear to be any issues with your line, with the information you've provided so far it seems to point towards the internal wiring side of things.

bobboulby
Grafter

No, apart from the tests I did on Tuesday, I've always been plugged in to one of the extension sockets.
I can understand how my internal wiring might reduce my speed but why would it cause my router to resync and then be unable to access the Internet until I disconnected/reconnected?
Bob
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

If you're having no problems when in the master socket then it certainly is something internal causing your issues. If you experience any of these in the master socket then it's something we would need to investigate from our side.

bobboulby
Grafter

The resycs occur about every two days. It's not practical to leave the router plugged in to the master socket for that length of time as it cuts off all the phone extensions so no landline calls are possible.
I think I'm going to try the filtered faceplate and see if that fixes the problem.
Bob.
Anonymous
Not applicable

? What ?
Do you really mean "Master Socket" or did you intend to say "Test Socket" ?
Or are you really saying that plugging your modem/router into the master socket faceplate, stops the phone extensions working ?

Out of interest, what telephone handsets are you using ?
bobboulby
Grafter

Sorry I meant the test socket. All is well in the test socket but I get reduced speed in the front socket on the master socket.
We have old Binatone and Boots handsets plus a Siemens A580IP VoIP/DECT phone.
Bob
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could you get additional DECT handsets for the A580IP, and do away with the Binatone and Boots handsets ?.
Then you could plug the A580IP base station into your new filtered master socket faceplate, along with your modem/router into the ADSL socket, and then you could completely eliminate the need for any phone extension wiring in your house.
Recently additional A580 handsets and charging bases have been selling on eBay for £9.99 in "nearly new" condition.
bobboulby
Grafter

Yes that's certainty an option although if I fit a filtered faceplate would that not leave the extension wiring in place and isolate it from the broadband side?
Bob.
Anonymous
Not applicable

That depends which faceplate you choose to fit !
If you choose the ADSLnation faceplate, you will need to connect the extension wires to the new faceplate.
With the VDSL Interstitial faceplate, then you don't need to reconnect the extension wiring.

I'm just trying to point out that the optimum setup would be to have no extension wiring, and questioning whether you had considered that possibility as a better long term solution, at a time when you are considering spending money on a new faceplate, etc.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

I would be inclined to agree. If you want to keep your extensions go for the vdsl faceplate. The best setup by far for adsl is to connect the router direct to the master. I would still be inclined to remove wires 3 and 4 from the master socket, and then see what your stats are at the master socket, not the test. If the speeds are back up, then this proves its the extensions. To be honest you have nothing to lose by trying  Cheesy
bobboulby
Grafter

Thanks both :). I think I'll try the interstitial faceplate with the router plugged in and take it from there.
Bob.
bobboulby
Grafter

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

That should do you bob... Also, if you are inclined  you can wire a dedicated data extension if you dont want the router in your bedroom...
bobboulby
Grafter

I see you've been having problems of your own penfold, I hope you get them sorted Smiley
Bob.