Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Me PlusNet..I'm New!

jamesg2007
Dabbler

Help Me PlusNet..I'm New!

Hi PlusNet.
My Broadband was activated today, and had no problem connecting to the service, however i was disappointed to see the speed was way behind at 1.1mbps.
However, i think this is mainly due to the fact that i have a modem from the old internet service provider (Orange) which is a SpeedTouch 330 Modem.
I have ordered a BT Voyager wireless modem from Plus Net - will this increase the speed of the service? I know my current modem isn't meant for high speed broadband, although you can change the driver settings from BULK to ISO by downloading the registry update, i tried this but the registry file was 'invalid'.
My next door neighbor has high speed Broadband, at least 6mbps at most times, so i know the BT exchange is working fine.
Will the new modem i receive get me better results?
Thanks in advance for you're help.
Cheers!
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Help Me PlusNet..I'm New!

If you have a look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm#Speedtouch_330 and advise the synchronisation speeds and the attenuation and noise margin we should have a good idea what is happening.
jamesg2007
Dabbler

Here are those results
ReceiveAttenuation_dB= 30
ReceiveMargin_dB= 31
SendAttenuation_dB= 16
SendMargin_dB= 26
Don't understand any of that though?!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That tells me that you should be getting much higher speeds.
Can you try to do this test http://speedtester.bt.com/ and report back the results. It may require several goes to get it to work.
Also can you advise the upstream and downstream speeds as reported by your modem.
Also what does this say your current broadband speed is https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Liam
Grafter

Hmmm.. just looking at this for you now.
Give me a minute!
Liam
Grafter

OK, I know what this is.
When you migrated in, did you see an option to automatically be upgraded to the highest speed?  What we've done is migrated you in on a 'like for like' BT Wholesale product (this is the speed set with BT at the exchnage and in their network).  With Orange, it looks like you were on a simple 1Mb fixed speed service - and when you've migrated in - you've stayed on that product.
I've done a line check on your number and it estimates you should be able to get the maximum speed available on the Upto 8Mb Max product, so I'm submitting an order now for you to get you upgraded.  This should complete Monday morning for you.
Hope that clears things up!
jamesg2007
Dabbler

Cheers Liam!
You are correct there, my speed with Orange was 1.1mbps.
The customer service has been fantastic with PlusNet ;D!
Thanks for you're help!
Liam
Grafter

No problem at all.
Welcome 🙂