cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Issue Ordering Fibre with Plusnet !

cja
Grafter

Help - Issue Ordering Fibre with Plusnet !

Tickets 77154857 & 77154036.
Apparently I can't have fibre according to the order to BT from plusnet but this doesn't make sense to me. Here is the background.
Long term plusnet customer (10 years) moved house, new phone number - note the previous house owners took their number and were SKY non FTTC (LLU ?) so wondering if that effects where I am.

BT Check for post code of my new address shows:

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
High  LowHigh  Low
FTTC Range A (Clean)64.2  64.220      20--Available
FTTC Range A (Impacted)64.2  64.220      20--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 17--10 to 19.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 17Up to 1.510 to 19.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate 22----Available
Fixed Rate 22----Available
Other Offering
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast--30--Available

Check for my phone number shows:

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date
WBC Fixed Rate1--Available
Fixed Rate1--Available
Really wierd !!!!

Check for a neighbours phone number on the SAME physical telephone pole, seems to confirm fibre should be available:

High  LowHigh  Low
FTTC Range A (Clean)64.2  64.220      20--Available
FTTC Range A (Impacted)64.2  64.220      20--Available
WBC ADSL 2+Up to 8--6 to 10Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 8Up to 16 to 10Available
ADSL MaxUp to 7.5--6.5 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate 22----Available
Fixed Rate 22----Available
Other Offering
FTTP on Demand33030--Available
Fibre Multicast--30--Available
Trying an order on the BT website backs up the data on rates

And on BT Broadband when I try and order I get
"The details you've entered show that your local exchange is either not able to offer BT Total Broadband or is currently being upgraded. Please call us on 0800 731 0286 for further information. Our advisors are available from 8am to 9pm Monday to Friday, from 8am to 8pm Saturday and from 9am to 6pm on Sundays."
According to Plusnet I can't get fibre, this is what OpenReach said when they placed the order. Talking to BT Retail they have said there is something wrong with my info but won't explain what but are prepared to do a manual order for broadband, possibly fibre.
I want to stay with Plusnet but I want fibre, so BT may try, failing that Virgin will get my business.
So

• What's going on or how do I find out ?

• How can I get Plusnet in a position to order Fibre ?

• Or is BT my only hope ?

Help, please.
Chris (cjajal)
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Help - Issue Ordering Fibre with Plusnet !

If the previous occupants took their number with them then your new number probably hasn't yet got on the database properly.
I'd expect Plusnet to be able to sort this.
What does the checker give for the full address though?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

At the top of the availability checker, when you look up by phone number, does it say you are on the same cabinet as your neighbour?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cja
Grafter

The postcode and full address match are the same, may not have described that as well as I could.
The number was working at 4pm on November 7th, usual quote is allow 48hrs, even allowing for working days it should be ready by the 13th and today is the 18th.  My neighbour and I are on the same cabinet, as are most of the surrounding post codes.  The green boxes are 150 metres down the same road from me, they were amongst the first down in my area, I remember thinking wonder how long before my old address will be done.
I think I need some manual intervention, but who, what and where  Shocked
Chris
Plusnet Alumni (retired) chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Chris,
It may be that the BT's records simply need to update, maybe due to the the line possibly being full LLU previously?
Our house move team are chasing this and we're currently awaiting an update.
Plusnet Alumni (retired) chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We've got your order placed for the 28th November 8am - 1pm for fibre, I'll get your ticket updated to reflect this too.
cja
Grafter

Thanks Chris P.
Just for the record of anyone else who gets in this situation, what you need is to show that people round you have FTTC or similar or are capable on their phone number.
- So checked all the postcodes around my house ... all have FTTC, use the broadband checker.
- Literally went through phone book identifying houses in my postcode and as nearby as possible - names and numbers.
- Confirm with ADSLchecker that numbers have FTTC and are on the same cabinet (people move house)... if the checker show the phone numbers as having FTTC, etc great.  If the phone number isn't recognised chances are the person has moved to Virgin or some other non-BT provider, so you need to find another number.
- Ideally find a house on the same side of the road as you as near as possible to you which uses the same telegraph pole as your house which has a phone number showing FTTC.
or
- Go talk to the neighbours.
Then Plusnet can go back to Openreach with enough evidence your line is wrong in the database.
No its no fun reading the phone book, but a few hours spent trawling through the entries can provide that vital evidence a nearby neighbour (on the same pole) has FTTC available, yet your line show 0.5 MB fixed ADSL... and then you have as much proof as you can that their database is not correct.
Chris (cjajal)