cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! End of my tether with BB connection

Snarf
Grafter

Help! End of my tether with BB connection

For at least a couple of weeks now I've had issues with my BB. My usual connection speed is around 7000-8000kbps (sometimes over 8000 at 3dB SNR), however (according to PN stats) between the 4th and 7th October the line seemed to have alot of disconnections (25 or so I was quoted) which forced my line speed down to 3023kbps with 21dB SNR. Over the last week or so I've been raising jobs to get the SNR lowered to 6dB so that I could start retraining my ip profile back up. The problem was that I was still getting one disconnection a day and thus the line wouldn't retrain (needing 3 days for this). I kept getting told (and I don't fault the staff for this at all) that I'd had about 12 hours stable when I rang and that things should be fine.
Eventually yesterday someone at PN forced the SNR down to 6dB my router immediately disconnected and reconnected at 7700kbps - bliss!. However, it seems today there was another disconnection which has forced the SNR back up to 12dB and connection speed of 5271kbps. If the pattern follows I guess I'm going to get another random disconnection tomorrow, most likely forcing the SNR up again.
The frustrating thing is that apparently it can't be raised as a line fault as it's only one disconnection a day, but there must be something wrong for it not to be able to hold a stable line! The disconnection is also not at a constant time, I've had just before 6am I think. about 7am this morning, 11am yesterday morning, so I can't tie it to anything specific.
It's been in the test socket (i.e. the one behind the base plate) for about 4 days now, the only other thing that I can think is wrong is that there's a problem with the router itself (it's a PN supplied Thomson one). Before I swap it out for another router, does anyone have any other suggestions or is it possible that there is actually a line fault?
I'm going a bit  Crazy!
Interestingly I've just rebooted the router and the SNR has gone back down to 6.5dB with connection speed at 7203, I just don't want the SNR to go back up again (strange that it did with the reconnection this morning and stranger that it's gone back down again!).
24 REPLIES 24
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Help! End of my tether with BB connection

Hi Snarf,
To be honest I would raise it anyway if it's not you dropping the connection. I would expect more drops from a line fault but if it were to get worse at least you'll already have the ball rolling. I think it's more likely to be interference from something but that would just be a guess.
Jojo Smiley
Snarf
Grafter

Hey Jo,
I've raised it a number of times (there are plenty of closed tickets), I was only worried that if I raised it again it would just get closed again with "it's only disconnecting once a day so not a fault" which is what happened before. I'll raise it as you've said then.
Snarf
Grafter

Ticket raised - 36160058. Hopefully this can get sorted soon!
Snarf
Grafter

Update - the line dropped about an hour ago for 30 secs to 1 minute, it was running at 16dB SNR, dropped and came back at 17dB SNR (similar line speed). What I have noticed is downstream errors. I don't know how many errors you'd expect to get in an hour, but this is what the router is reporting:
Noise Margin:  17.0  dB
Bandwidth:    4544  kbps
Attenuation:  42.0  dB
Power:        19.5  dBm
Errors:
  FEC:  0
  CRC:  43
  HEC:  13
Failures since last reset:
  LOF:  12
  LOS:  1
  ES :  5
Can anyone interpret these results and let me know what the issues might be?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Snarf,
I've just ran a line test, the SNR is 16dB and this is definitely what's causing the lower sync speed. Are you in the test socket, Is there any chance that is could be caused by extensions or electrical equipment or anything else. I'm not sure what your set up is like.
Jojo Smiley
Snarf
Grafter

Jo,
The line has been in the test socket for probably the last week (it's a pain in the bottom as it means the main phone is also downstairs and my HTPC connects to the router via cable so the box can't get any recording guide updates!). The line has actually been stable for the last 1 day and 2 hours now, I think that's the first time it's been stable for over a day in ages. To be honest I don't mind if the box disconnects once a day if the DLM maintains my 6dB target SNR, but at the moment it won't do that. I really want to move the router back upstairs now as it's proven to be no more stable in the test socket than it was upstairs next to the TV.
I don't know what causes the disconnect, or even what could cause it. It's definitely not something inside the house as it doesn't tie in with any electrical activity specifically. But then the disconnects are at random times, so don't coincide with any external influences either (weather, street lights etc). I know that there was an issue with our exchange a couple of days ago and the only thing I could think of is some exchange problem. 16dB should prove to be a rock solid line (as should 21dB!), the only other thought was a potential router issue? But then it has held lines at 3dB for 3-4 days before!
I think I'll move the router upstairs tomorrow regardless of any other issues and just hope the line will have been stable for a couple of days by then, maybe that'll indicate that the problem has mysteriously disappeared!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi snarf,
If you can leave it where it is for now and tomorrow I'll get the SNR put at 6dB and see how it goes from there. It's defintely the SNR keeping it low rather than the drops.
Jojo Smiley
artificer
Grafter

Snarf, rather than upset what looks like a recovered system, have you thought of introducing an ethernet switch upstairs that connects to the router?  need a long cat5 line, but.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI snarf,
Would you like me to go ahead with the SNR reset.
Jojo Smiley
Snarf
Grafter

You can do Jo, but the router reset at 9am this morning and still connected at 17dB. The worry is that the same thing happens as before and it'll stay connected at 6dB for say a day, then drop and reconnect at a higher SNR value. I believe that there must be a line problem for it not to be able to hold such a high SNR for more than a couple of days, whereas previously, a few weeks ago, it was holding a stable connection for 3-4 days at a time at 6dB.
What I really need is for someone to look at the ticket I raised, problem with not speaking to a person directly is that the tickets just get pushed into a queue and actioned as and when Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Snarf,
your ticket has been updated. It's probably advisible to see how the interleaving goes before looking at the SNR reset.
Jojo Smiley
Snarf
Grafter

Thanks Jo, once again you're a star Smiley Fingers crossed the deinterleaving works!
Snarf
Grafter

Could I ask one more favour? Once the interleaving has been turned on on the line, could I get an SNR reset back to 6dB again? The line rebooted this morning (after I moved the router back upstairs last night) and unfortunately I'm back down to 21dB SNR and 3000kbps line speed Sad
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Snarf,
I think moving it probably did the damage Sad Are you using an extension/extension cable?
Jojo Smiley