cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help...After 2 years of dealing with Plusnet I still have unreliable BB service

ernie1
Dabbler

Re: Help...After 2 years of dealing with Plusnet I still have unreliable BB service

Hi guys

Sorry to report...Openreach engineer turned up and confirmed that copper line was optimised, fault free and that no faults in my house. Unfortunately after 24 hours of stability enjoyed before the visit (download at ususal 1.1mps), the line has fallen over and I had to reset several times. Now the Download is at 0.70 and heading South....AGAIN as per the usual pattern before it falls over and I have to contact PN to be reset................. I give up...seems that the fault is still there (Engineer said as others said its an ISP issue or BTW issue). So after 2 years of not getting this sorted and a virtually unusuable line...I am out of here. Thanks for yr help Anoush, and thanks guys for yr company on the forum...but will find a company that provides a stable BB, one doesnt have to wait for an hour to be connected to customer services and then wait another hour to be reconnected. It all beggars belief..if I ran my company like that I wouldnt have any customers left......................PS both of my neighbours have good copper based service that is twice as fast and stable..........

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Help...After 2 years of dealing with Plusnet I still have unreliable BB service

@ejs wrote:

@ernie1 wrote:

The line I use is just for BB data, no voice is used.

Have you done a quiet line test with a corded phone?

If the extra current sent down the line during a line test temporarily fixes something, then doing a ring back test or calling from a mobile just to make the phone ring, might have the same effect as the line test.

Did you get a chance to do a quiet line test with a phone?

MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Good luck moving to BT, one other thought may be if plusnet would install bb free on your second line to see if that is stable and if it was cease your faulty line?

Only other test is connect to the btw Speedtest domain and leave it on there. You wouldn't be able to use internet but if sync keeps falling and Speedtest is slow then it proves a btw/or problem as you bypass obey totally.

My money is on some external interference that is intermittent, so engineers come test all ok, event happens causes instability and dlm stabilised the line slower etc.
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

I'm really sorry to hear the engineer couldn't identify the cause of the issue. Looking at your connection, there hasn't been a single drop since the visit:

And there are no errored seconds either:

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 39.5 53.5
SNR Margin: 11.5 8.3
Errored Seconds: 0 1
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 3710 1749
Speed: 440 1322

Are you connecting wired or wirelessly?

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ejs
Aspiring Hero

And the line speed seems very low for the downstream attenuation. 53.5 dB attenuation show give a speed around 3 or 4 Mb. The upstream attenuation seems too high for the downstream attenuation, so one or other attenuation figure may be incorrect. What was the speed estimate for the line?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Speed estimate,

ADSL Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

Left in Jumper

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 1 -- 1 to 3.5 Available -- -- -- --

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Then I suppose that the upstream attenuation figure was correct and the reported downstream attenuation figure was incorrect. A downstream attenuation of 65 dB or higher would be consistent with the upstream attenuation and downstream speeds (estimated and actual).

ernie1
Dabbler

Thanks all, as Anoush says the estimate is 1 to 3 mps...until 2 years ago I had 1.7 mps, last night 0.7 mps....which is unusable. Cant use my othe rline as its BT. I dont know why you say the line hasnt dropped, I had to reboot the router 3 times yesterday and this is the 3rd router in a year so its not the router fault.I am connecting by cable.

MrSilver
Pro

Plusnet sell broadband on top of a BT phone line. You can keep voice with whoever and bb with plusnet. Would be interesting to see the speed checker against your BT line too
ernie1
Dabbler

Good idea, except that aside from a unreliable line the customer service/ support has been awful (Anoush aside). On average had to wait on the phone for 1 hour for to be connected to support...many times per week. I had cancelled the contract on the 7th Jan and they are chasing me for payment (even though up to date re notice period) as have stopped Direct Debit. In vain tried to call the accounts people and have ben waiting for more than 30 mins so far........so no way will I get involved with another PN relationship....am sure that they wouldnt agree to install a line without a fixed contract...

MrSilver
Pro

I guess they are still taking payment because you postponed your cancellation?

Anoush I am happy to postpone my cancellation for a while, but will not sign up to a year contract as was indicated to  me that I would have to do...I am happy for you to have one last go...as someone at last has taken reponsibility to look at it..just let me know

Good luck with BT 😉 I had to call as a nominate person on my elderly parents account. Their upload speed had dropped from 20mb solid for past few years to less than 1mb, they dont upload much but it kills facetime with the grandparents.

After being on hold for well over 45 minutes, getting through to India I had to spend over 30 minutes on the phone as the only message i was getting was if you want upload you have to buy a business line, we don't support upload. I was told the BTW upload server was not BTs so the tests were unreliable too! 🙂

After a long time talking to India, and few follow up calls I got it escalated, up to that point they weren't even willing to run a test against it as it was against policy. 

After being escalated and talking to someone in the UK they finally tested it, found a fault and an engineer fixed it.

Anyway, hopefully your other line will be fine from the start and you dont need any support either way.

What are the speedtest results for that line?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I'm sorry to see you've called us to close your account @ernie1 This has been done with immediate effect so we won't be taking any further payments.

I really do wish you all the best with your new provider, and I'll also be interested to hear if the issue still occurs.

ernie1
Dabbler

Quick question guys

When my BB runs v slow ie half its usual speed, ie currently 0 .58 mps, I notice that when BTW speed test by the 3 retest in a row my BB speed is back up. The BTW site wont let me do further diagnostics so cant get anymore info. This has happened many times, by using the BTW test the BB throughput increases for a while then drops again...any ideas whats causing that?

ejs
Aspiring Hero

I don't think there's much point doing speedtests without first checking the phone line is free of audible noise, and checking the DSL stats are OK.

ernie1
Dabbler

Line not used for voice only BB and it was checked by BT engineer on Thursday for noise