cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello - new to broadband - a few questions...

James
Grafter

Re: Hello - new to broadband - a few questions...

Hi Mark,
I'm afraid that in a rather useless fashion, I don't really have anything further to add, but welcome to the world of broadband Smiley
mhennessy

Hello again,
Noticed that my sync speed had dropped to just under 7000Kb/s - probably something to do with all this recent rain. So thought I'd try BT speedtester again, here's the results:
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 6944 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 6000 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 186 kbps
This test was not conclusive and further testing is required.
Please wait whilst you are redirected to undertake a second test.
You now have two choices-
  1. If you wish to carry out further tests and you are competent to make changes to your ADSL system configuration, then please click on 'Continue' button.
  2. If not, please close the window using 'Exit' button and contact your ISP for further assistance with these results.

But when I reconnected as "bt_test_user", DNS stopped working...
The PlusNet speed test reports 5724 and 381 Kb/s. Anotherone, please see the attachement for the stats 🙂
Cheers,
Mark
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

When you login as the test_user, you only have access to the BT speedtester, and DNS won't work for other sites, but sometimes you have to enter the ip address of the speedtester to get it to work.
But I wouldn't bother at the moment, too much playing around in the first 10 days and the exchange thinks you have an unstable line. I see from the stats, you have a line attenuation of 33 dB which puts you about 2.5Km from the exchange. Also the current target SNRM is running at 9dB which is why your sync speed has dropped. Ideally you'd like to sync above 7392.
Be patient - in the first 7-10 days your profile can vary, throughput tests can also be very variable especially at peak times, but the last BT one is somewhat spurious. I'd ignore the BT speedtester for the moment. As long as your sync is holding, if the PN profile at the member centre is consistent and the PN speedtester gives good figures at that time of night, all should be ok. You don't have any significant errors either.
Keep an eye on those router stats though. If that sync drops and the target SNRM goes up, you may have a noisey line. If you hear any crackling or other intermittent noise on the line, phone your line rental provider faults when it is crackling (151 if BT), don't use autotesting, go straight to an adviser, get them to confirm they can hear the noise and log it as intermittent. DON'T mention broadband otherwise you'll get the runaround back to the ISP.
Best of luck.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Out of interest, just  about 2300, thought I would do speed tests, PN Myspeed test was as normal, 6500 down 383 up.  The BT one synch ok, DL ok UP ok but through put I thin was about 150 Kb - atrocious,  but my internet was working OK no problems, BT also said could it do more tests
James
Grafter

Yep, that would sound like the BT tester was having a bit of a blip.