cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heavy usenet shaping

mikehiow
Grafter

Heavy usenet shaping

A usenet download on my connection syncing at 76mbps is bobbing between 1.6MB/s and 5.9MB/s, generally staying under 4MB/s, however.
Same nzb, same provider on another FTTC connection at 80/20 (with Zen) achieves a solid 8.2MB/s.
There is no other significant internet traffic on my connection at the time of testing and I am wired.
I thought there was no traffic management in place beyond prioritising traffic on a per-line basis?
15 REPLIES 15
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: Heavy usenet shaping

I thought the traffic prioritisation also applies to the whole Plusnet network. However, that's probably not the problem and Plusnet will always assert that they have plenty of bandwidth.
It's more likely that the problem isn't Plusnet deliberately slowing down your usenet downloads because they don't have sufficient bandwidth. It could be some problem with the peering provider between Plusnet and the usenet provider, or maybe even something odd and unintentional going on with Plusnet's traffic management systems. Or the capacity at your exchange or in some part of the BTOR network.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Yes our capacity should be absolutely fine, though I've flagged this to Dave to have a look at - see what we come up with. Thanks very much for the heads up.
Guessing that was same number of threads and nothing else being used on the connection at the time?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Right, think we've got it. Mike, you're logging in with username@plus.net and are getting an incorrect traffic management profile as a result. If you could change that in your router and log in with username@plusdsl.net instead you should find things improve Smiley
Hope that helps.
grahamt
Rising Star

That looks like an ace bit of detective work - not obvious at all.
Well done, Matt (and colleagues?).
Graham
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Aye, it was Dave found the above rather than myself - but then that's why he's our traffic management guru Smiley
mikehiow
Grafter

Thank you.
I've just changed that, I was getting line speed previously but I guess we're not quite into the peak period, yet.
I shall keep an eye on it.
mikehiow
Grafter

This issue is present again tonight.
Started off at 1.6MB/s, not sure which GW.
Hopped, got AG02 and around 800K/s
Hopped again, got AG04 and now getting 1.7-6MB/s but averaging around 3MB/s.
mikehiow
Grafter

Bump...
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mike,
Sorry about that, asked Dave to have a look but unfortunately the gateway hopping means that he couldn't find which endpoint you were on on the given gateway. If it happens again please don't drop the connection as that way we'll be able to diagnose it.
Has it happened again since?
mikehiow
Grafter

Hi Matt,
I've not tried since, I will make more of an effort to try it throughout the evening over a few days and report back.
mikehiow
Grafter

Slowing down again this evening.
Not as bad as it has been - hovering around 4MB/s, but it has been down to sub 1MB/s.
shalom2010
Grafter

I have noticed a slowing down myself as well. Only in the evenings. It is NOT the usenet provider. During daytime I get around 67 Mbps currently 39 Mbps.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

I'm afraid Dave's not about until next week to look at this, I'll make sure I flag this up though as soon as he's in.