cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hd a problem with my router, will it affect my sync?

jaxster
Dabbler

Hd a problem with my router, will it affect my sync?

Hi, I've now been with PN for a week.I've was using my own router and not the plusnet one as it took ages to arrive. I was syncing between 15000-16000kbps but my router started going pearshaped yesterday and disconnected a few times in the space of a few hours. I'm now using the plusnet one and i'm only syncing at 12886 kbps. I know I'm still on the training stage of my line but will it go back up or will I need the profile reset?
Thanks Smiley
17 REPLIES 17
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Hd a problem with my router, will it affect my sync?

please post the full stats - speeds, noise margin and attenuation - then we will have an idea
jaxster
Dabbler

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 12:54:19
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 24,051 / 13,596
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 12,886
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 26.57 / 2.17
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 20.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 13.0 / 23.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 25.5 / 14.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 12,550 / 58,214
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 294,668 / 76
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 234,489,202 / 621
by the look of it the line attenuation has gone up since using the plusnet router. it was sitting at half those values on the old one. would that make a difference?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Noise margin is 14.5dB - it would have started at 6dB so the duff router has affected the speed quite significantly
Either wait for it to sort itself out (a few weeks) or ask for a noise margin reset - it's up to you
Having said that the errors look high - specially the upstream - so there may be another problem and a reset may not help as it will just bounce back in very short order
Have you tried the test socket to see if the error rate reduces or stays the same
You say that the router went pear shaped yesterday - it is possible that something else happened which caused noise problems on the line which appeared to be a router problem (Christmas lights for example)
jaxster
Dabbler

No it was deffo the router, kept dropping wireless connections and wouldn't load up the gui. Tried it wired and it was still behaving oddly. Had it a while so I think it was on its last legs. I'll wait a while to see what speeds I'm getting, I don't seem to be able to get over the 6.25Mb mark on any speed tests just now. I was getting 8 meg when I was with Orange, I'm hoping the move to plusnet and ADSL2+ is going to better those speeds as we were quoted 15meg.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Have you checked the IP profile from the BT speedtest and the Plusnet mirror https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
jaxster
Dabbler

plusnet mirror
Telephone number:
Phone exchange:
    ALLOA
Estimated line speed:
    8 - Checked on 2010-12-19 19:18:19
Current line speed:
    Not set
Not happy with what thats saying... the estimated line speed we got when signing up was 15

Test1 comprises of two tests
1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
6341 Kbps

0 Kbps 21000 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 6341 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :12884 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 11000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 14.42:27.45:58.13 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes.
2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
367 Kbps

0 Kbps 444 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed
>Upload speed achieved during the test was - 367 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 444 Kbps
jaxster
Dabbler

and this is the info i get when i check the BT wholesale site

THE BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
For Telephone Number ********** on Exchange ALLOA
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7.128Mbps and 8Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 15Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 8Mbps and 19.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1.5Mbps and downstream line speed of 12Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 11Mbps and 13Mbps.
The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained.
Thank you for your interest.
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Note: If you already have a Broadband service enabled on this line and you want to switch service providers, you will need to contact both your current provider and your new provider to get your service changed over new and existing service provider to have this service transferred.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is because your duff router upped the default noise margin as I said in my second post
jaxster
Dabbler

so i need the profile to be reset and restart the line training period?
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: jaxster
. I was syncing between 15000-16000kbps but my router started going pearshaped yesterday and disconnected a few times in the space of a few hours

Were you aware that Plusnet were having serious problem and using the web yesterday was very very slow if not imposable?
So don’t bin your old router
Puddy
WWWombat
Grafter

Quote from: jaxster
Current line speed:
    Not set

I've seen jojo respond to this before - I think it implies that PN will be letting less data through than your line can support - even now with the high SNR margin & relatively low speed.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
jaxster
Dabbler

i was aware of the problems plusnet were having but like i said my router has died.

I was using newsgroups  through the night and getting a max speed of eight meg. Like i said i was getting that with orange so I'd expect an increase after moving to adsl2+
jaxster
Dabbler

can someone from plusnet please advise on this?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi,
The connection speed of 'not set' won't be helping. I'll get that sorted now.
Jojo Smiley