cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a VPN nightmare

barstow57

Having a VPN nightmare

Hi guys,  I am hoping that your collective knowledge can help get me out of some difficulties we are having getting my wife's business laptop to recognise our router. We Plusnet Extra with the Pro add-on to help with gaming and business, but whatever we do my wife's laptop will not connect at home. It works fine from the business flat she has whilst working away but that connects straight to the company network so I don't know if that means anything. Anyway, the Help-desk pointed me at changing the Plusnet firewall to "low" which I have done but still no connection. The IT people where my wife works have double checked the laptop and say the trouble isn't at their end. Of course the trouble is somewhere, but I have no idea where or how to fix it. Has this been an issue for anybody else and if so, how did you fix it?
Many thanks
Ian
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Having a VPN nightmare

To clarify a few points
Is this a VPN problem or a "the laptop won't see the router on wireless" problem
Which router is it
Have you tried connecting by wire
Which operating system is it using
If the problem is that it won't see the router does it see any other wireless networks
barstow57

Ho Oldjim, right, here go my clarifications!
1. Almost certain it's a VPN problem. The laptop sees all the same local connections that the rest of our machines do.
2. The router is marked Plusnet Technicolor TG582n
3. Tried both with wireless and with wire. Get to the same point with each.
4. OS is Windows XP pro.
5. To clarify the connection problem the laptop sees the connections and starts the connection process, gets a signal but when the PVN pass codes are entered it only then fails to connect. It's like only at that point that the darned thing refuses to play ball.
Hope that helps
Ian
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

There is a fix posted by MisterW for certain VPN issues on TG582N
Have a look here:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102798.0.html
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Hi barstow57,
We've seen some issues with VPN's and theTG582n. Have a look at this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,102798.0.html
There are 2 main types of VPN , PPTP and IPSec. and your wifes IT people ought to be able to tell you which they are using.
The bottom line is that if the VPN is using the PPTP protocol it SHOULD work out of the box ( as long as your PlsuNet firewall is set to LOW ) and I've confirmed that myself now I have a TG582n. Note that you need to disconnect/reconnect the Broadband connect for any firewall change to take effect.
I've not got access to an IPSEC VPN so I can't test it myself, so I would suggest trying the
connection unbind application IKE
saveall
commands refferred to in the thread.
Hope that helps.
Seems zzZzz beat me to it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

barstow57

Thanks guys. When the wife comes home this afternoon I will try this out. Fingers crossed. I'll let you know the results.
Ian
barstow57

Great news. The "connection unbind application IKE... saveall" cut and paste in the link worked a treat. Many thanks!
Ian
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Happy to hear that. Smiley That does seem to confirm that the VPN is IPSec and the TG582n needs tweaking with the IKE unbind for it to work correctly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.