Did you mean: 

Having Latency/speed problems tonight? - 5th March

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Having Latency/speed problems tonight? - 5th March

Hi all,
Tonight we're interested to hear from anybody who believes they're being affected by the peak-time latency performance problems reported in the 40-odd page thread over here.
It's clear from some of the reports we're getting that the problem can't always be mapped back to an individual edge router/gateway e.g. there can be two people on the same gateway, one of which might be having severe problems with their connection whilst the other person's is perfectly fine.
I want to try and gain a little more granular data from people both *before and after* a gateway hop. It's ambitious but I'm looking to collate information that's invisible to you guys. Stuff like the BT bRAS you're connected to, the traffic management switch your traffic's routeed through, the line profile assigned to your connection (direct from the switch) and the WBMC site your connection terminates at (Collindale/Stepney or Faraday). The idea is to try and identify a pattern to assist with our ongoing diagnosis.
**IN ORDER TO DO THIS, I NEED TO ASK THAT PEOPLE *DON'T* GATEWAY HOP OR DISCONNECT/RECONNECT IF THEY'RE HAVING PROBLEMS**
Instead it would be appreciated if you could let me know so that we can collate the above data from your connection. Once that's been done, we'll give you the green light to disconnect/reconnect and can then pull the data again for a before/after comparison.
**WHAT TO DO IF YOU'RE HAVING PROBLEMS?**
1. Create a post in this thread containing the following:

• A description of the problem (please include as much detail as possible, e.g. how your experience compares to what you'd normally expect, what sites/services you're having problems with)
  • Whether or not it's the first night you've had problems?
  • Whether using a wired or wireless connection (wired is preferred)
  • What gateway you are connected to?
  • An embedded pingtest from here.
  • An embedded speedtest from here.
  • If you have a TBB Quality monitor set up then post an small BBCode snapshot graph (not a live graph).

NB: Other information like traceroutes/pathpings and Wireshark captures may be helpful to us if taken /whilst you're experiencing problems/. For the purpose of tonight's experiment though, I'd suggest not clouding this thread by posting this information here (feel free to keep a copy locally in case it comes in handy and we ask you for it later).

2. Once you've made a post, *STAY CONNECTED* - I will arrange for certain data to be collected from your line and will reply to you when you're OK to try a disconnect/reconnect.
3. Once you've disconnected/reconnected, try and ascertain if you're still having problems. If you are then disconnect/reconnect again until things return to normal (assuming they do of course, if they don't then say so).
4. Let me know that you've disconnected/reconnected by either replying again to this forum thread or giving me a nudge on IRC if you're that way inclined.
5. I'll then arrange for the data to be collected from your line again.
**FINAL NOTE**
To provide an example, this is the sort of info I'm looking for in your first post:
Problem: Unable to stream from Netflix, stream keeps on buffering. Web browsing is sluggish and Usenet downloads are running 20% of the speed I'd normally expect.
First night of problems? Had problems last Tuesday and tonight
Connection type: Wired
Gateway: pcl-ag05

I'll be around and keeping an eye on things tonight between 7.00pm and 11.00pm'ish...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

115 REPLIES 115
flaminmoses
Grafter

Re: Peak time latency spikes

• havent tried the ps3...i dare not....variable ping
• mainly from 5 pm till around 11pm  although sometimes during the hours before that.
• wireless is faster on mine...tested both...routers antennas are half a foot away from pc's antennas
• pcl-ag05 City Lifeline House

the pingtest is varying quite a bit.
basically got variable ping at certain times which is a nightmare for gameing.
speed figures show a low ping although thats clearly wrong.
download used to be 65mb.
ping is normally 9ms with 0-1 ms jitter
Thaya

Re: Having Latency/speed problems tonight? - 5th March

Unfortunately I have just restarted my router after several days of peak time latency problems.
My home network is geneally being used mostly for gaming, VOIP and streaming as well as web use.
I am noticing pretty extreme lag playing Lineage2 Naia server ( based in Seattle USA I believe).
I am also noticing 404 errors in web browsing that disappear on refresh. Web browsing and streaming much slower and more errorprone than normal.
Symptoms include trying to move and nothing happening for over 2 minutes, using skills for them never to be cast, frequent disconnections from server.
I am now connected to gateway 195.166.128.186 though I cant say if this is different to the gateway of the previous few days I didn't check.
Just did a pingtest and am showing 1% packet loss.

Speed seems normal....

I have  had this problem for at least 3 days and maybe as much as a week. Naia sometimes has lag issues so it's hard to discern ISP issues from game server issues sometimes.
It's very laggy usually until somewhere between 10pm and 11.30pm. Overnight there seems to be little to no lag.
Thaya

Did a second pingtest and this looks worse...

dave1240
Grafter

•A description of the problem (please include as much detail as possible, e.g. how your experience compares to what you'd normally expect, what sites/services you're having problems with)
Playing guild wars 2 with teamspeak running in the background,GW2 lags then teamspeak stutters, internet buffers constantly and unable to stream.

•Whether or not it's the first night you've had problems?
Sinch moving to plusnet unlimited broadband
•Whether using a wired or wireless connection (wired is preferred)
Wired
•What gateway you are connected to?
You are currently connected to gateway ptw-ag01.
This is located in Telehouse West.

Thanks mike
•An embedded pingtest from here.

•An embedded speedtest from here.

Really annoying :-(.
ITWorks
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 9

To get your gate way , http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway/
Regards
Mike

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dave1240
Grafter

Woops made a new thread instead of reply.
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)
Thread merged in]
WendyDavies
Grafter

Hi Bob, Have noticed Ping is very high on the bt speedtest service. (150ms to 200ms) However the speed the line is getting is very good! Pro Add-on too just wondering if this issue is being looked into in the London Area?  I have also seen Thaya has got a simular issue with high ping fast speeds. (same as me really.) Ill keep testing the connection tonight and if it changes ill let you know.
Our line is still under training so this may be unrealistic.
Hopefully the new equipment might help the core network cope with the right ping times.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

OK thanks guys, keep them coming.
@dave1240/@Thaya, speedtests/ping etc. don't seem an issue but stay where you are for the time being and continue to report on what your experience is like over the next hour or so.
@dave1240, just to clarify, are your problems specific to the evening or do you have issues throughout the day/early morning too?
@WendyDavies, thanks for the input. I'm interested in hearing from those who have noticeable problems doing what they normally would during the evening that don't seem to be evident at other times of the day. If your situation is actually stopping you from doing/making it difficult to do certain things then shout up.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

JamesM
Grafter

Checked at 5:30 PM and 6:30 PM, ping 10 ms, speed 10900 Mbps, just checked now

gateway pcl-ag02
Wired.
Thanks Bob.
rookey
Grafter

Problem:Web browsing is sluggish
First night of problems? Had problems for a week or two
Connection type: Wireless
Gateway: ptn-ag04

dave1240
Grafter

I have problems from 5pm for about an hour or until i reboot the router, the lag has settled down but they is still some there.
Necrotix
Dabbler

Problem: Sluggish browsing and Very high latency. Makes gaming an absolute nightmare.
First night of problems? - Have problems almost every night. Fixed by gateway hopping.
Connection type: Wired
Gateway: ptn-ag01

Terrible results. I've just come from o2 broadband and have NEVER had any speed decrease (even during peak times) and it has consistently run at 14mbps on the speed test. Also, ping times never fluctuated on o2, so this tells me that it must be a plusnet problem here.
Hope this helps.
P.s. I'm still waiting for my line to get the upload sync uncapped. This has been ordered for me. Just to throw that in.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Necrotix
First night of problems? - Have problems almost every night. Fixed by gateway hopping.

Just what I'm looking for. Stay where you are whilst we gather some info from your connection...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

rookey
Grafter

The same goes to me bob... I have to disconnect and connect to get my speed back to normal not done it today thou as you say not to.
I had a fault cleared on my line last week in which you may see record of which not made much different