cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have to turn router off and on to connect to internet

LilaHamilton

Have to turn router off and on to connect to internet

Hi

If I want to connect a laptop, playstation and sometimes phone or tablet to the net I need to turn the device on and then turn the router off and back on in order to connect. If I turn the device on from off it won't auto connect to the wifi for some reason. It has to be Device on first and then router on.

I've tried changing the DNS/wifi channels via 192.168.1.254 but that hasn't changed anything and even then trying to connect to the routers setting times out/doesn't work.

Is there anything else I can try?

5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Have to turn router off and on to connect to internet

.Hi there, a factory reset of the router might help, the guide here shows you what to do: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-user-guides/ - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
LilaHamilton

Hi, tried this and no change. We're now in the territory of the worst broadband I've ever had. This has been going on for weeks and i've tried just about every "solution" that I can find with no improvement.

Even when it is connect the PS4 is laggy online and sometimes you'll not be able to access the internet on phones, or post whatsapp messages. I regret ever going with Plusnet.

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hello @LilaHamilton,

That does sound strange, so to confirm do your devices not automatically connect to the router? If it's just one device it may be that the settings need to be changed to "automatically connect". It's also worth connecting devices such as TV's/consoles via Ethernet cable to the router as this will provide the most stable connection and help stop that lagging you're seeing.

Let us know how you get on,

Thanks.

LilaHamilton

Hi. It affects 2 phones, 2 laptops and a PS4. Kindle fire tablets are sometimes affected as well and a fire tv stick occasionally.

Tried everything suggested and nothing improves it. It's not possible to connect devices via ethernet. Never had any issues with other broadband services. Plusnet is the first time this has happened.
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Thanks for that info @LilaHamilton, I would suggest wherever possible to connect via Ethernet especially if you are running over ADSL broadband & intend to stream/game alongside utilising over devices.

As you've tried the troubleshooting suggested & our testing is not showing any possible issues - I've processed a new router to your address registered on the account, it can take between 3-5 working days to arrive.

Please let me know how you get on,

Thanks.