Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have PN got fibre in my area

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Have PN got fibre in my area

Quote from: TORPC
however as we already know that not all Cabinets are released to other ISP's as BT hogs some for themselves

By God I've seen some rubbish posted on these forums, but that really takes the biscuit!
Please post some verified evidence to support that assertion.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
TORPC
Grafter

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/ confirms that it is in my area & accepting orders
Pn website says

There are already BT customers on FTTC in my street
I was hoping that PN's website is out of date & can accept FTTC orders
Is that proof enough for you ?Huh
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

No, that isn't proof that 'BT save some cabinets for themselves' at all!
Do any of the other flats in your block have the ability to order FTTC?  Do the BT customers you refer to live in the houses to the south of your block?
I strongly suspect that your flats are not fed from the same cabinet as the local houses so the fact that they can get FTTC is not an indication that you can unfortunately.
TORPC
Grafter

There is at least 1 on BT's FTTC that I know of in the block & a few in the houses
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Three possibilities (at least):
1. There's an error on the BT database. You are shown as being connected to the wrong cabinet number.
2. There's an error on the BT database. If the cabinet number is correct you need to do a BT Wholesale check by telephone number for someone on the same cabinet who has FTTC. Present that to Plusnet and they'll get the records corrected.
3. You are connected to a different cabinet to the neighbours who have FTTC. You can verify that by using the BT Wholesale check by telephone number.
If you seriously believe that BT are holding back FTTC availability to their own customers and have proof of such I recommend you post here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre.html
jelv
Seasoned Hero

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/ confirms that it is in my area & accepting orders

That reports to exchange level only. If there is ONE cabinet accepting orders, all postcodes covered by the exchange will appear to be accepting orders. Try SP7 9QL. That's in a village outside of Shaftesbury which has FTTC in some areas. I went past the existing cabinet a couple of days ago - there's not even paint to show where the new cabinet will go yet! The address checker says 2015.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Three possibilities (at least):
1. There's an error on the BT database. You are shown as being connected to the wrong cabinet number.
2. There's an error on the BT database. If the cabinet number is correct you need to do a BT Wholesale check by telephone number for someone on the same cabinet who has FTTC. Present that to Plusnet and they'll get the records corrected.
3. You are connected to a different cabinet to the neighbours who have FTTC. You can verify that by using the BT Wholesale check by telephone number.
If you seriously believe that BT are holding back FTTC availability to their own customers and have proof of such I recommend you post here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre.html

1. I am connected to the correct reported cabinet as I am on ADSL, the FTTC cabinet will have a different number to the ADSL cabinet
2. Of course I am on a different cabinet to those on FTTC as I am on the ADSL cabinet which is at least 100 yards closer than the FTTC cabinet
3. See 1
See screenshot
There are neighbours that are clearly on FTTC with BT
All I want to know & only PN can answer is
Is PN active in my nearest cabinet, & If not, is there any proposed dates as & when this could happen
By both phone & postcode / door number
http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/broadband/packages?Infinity=yes
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

1. I am connected to the correct reported cabinet as I am on ADSL, the FTTC cabinet will have a different number to the ADSL cabinet

No. FTTC cabinets do not have a different number. If your phone line goes to cabinet 50, then there will need to be an FTTC cabinet beside cabinet 50 for you to get FTTC. The only way to know that 50 is your correct cabinet number would be to physically trace your telephone cable to that cabinet, but of course it's not really possible for you to do that, especially if your telephone line is underground.
2. Of course I am on a different cabinet to those on FTTC as I am on the ADSL cabinet which is at least 100 yards closer than the FTTC cabinet

FTTC cabinets are normally placed much closer to the existing cabinet than 100 yards, usually they are placed beside the existing cabinet, sometimes they might be placed on the other side of the road.
x47c
Grafter

I believe that there a regulations on how far away a FTTC cabinet can be from its fibre twin as a maximum - and it is closer than 100m
I think it is 50m...usualy its is much less - like 25meters.
They may indeed be across the road usually this is done to make it easy to connect up to a power supply as it is more expensive to take power 10 or so meters distance than it is for a load of telecoms cables.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Thank you for confirming that you are totally ignorant of how FTTC is implemented. Here's a simple schematic for how it is connected:
Exchange (POTS) <------> POTS cabinet <-------> Home
                            ^
                              |
                              v

Exchange (fibre) <-----> FTTC cabinet
----- is copper (or aluminium), ----- is fibre

Note that for small exchanges the POTS and FTTC exchange may not be the same as the fibre is fed direct from a larger nearby exchange.
Just to nail it in to his head could anyone who has upgraded to FTTC confirm whether or not the cabinet number shown by the BT telephone number checker changed when they upgraded to FTTC.
TORPC
Grafter

The cabinet that I am connected to is ADSL & have been an ADSL cabinet for many a year
There is a new separate cabinet that is FTTC that I am not connected to
The number on the ADSL cabinet is as reported correctly as the one I am connected to as I AM NOT CONNECTED to the FTTC cabinet (therefore it will not report back that I am connected to the FTTC cabinet)
As clearly stated
THIS IS a question for PN to answer

jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you are not going to read and try to understand the replies you are given please stop posting.
TORPC
Grafter

Where have I stated I was not reading / going to read & understand the replies ?Huh
& who are you to tell / advise I stop posting ?Huh
I want an answer from PN in that they either have or have not got Fibre hooked up in my area
Only PN can answer that for goodness sake
2 yes 2 pages wasted for  PN only answer (says it all really)
Edit:

At least TalkTalk is hooked up to supply fibre
itsme
Grafter

The FTTC cabinet has been placed on the opposite side of the RD which is further away than the ADSL cabinet since approx Nov - Dec 2013

What is an ADSL cabinet?
TORPC
Grafter

Looks like I will have to ring them & either tie up a phone call just to find the answer or start a ticket