cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have Marketing failed? (change of all contract lengths to 10 days)

Be3G
Grafter

Re: Have Marketing failed? (change of all contract lengths to 10 days)

I know I've said this before, but just for this thread's record I'm completely with Simon on this one. There were a huge number of complaints about the long contracts when PN introduced them, so unless something sneaky was going on Plusnet would have advertised the change much more than they did… for example, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, not one mention was made of the change on any of the Community blogs, which is where product changes are always normally announced.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and what that doesnt say is that if you are on a legacy home phone product, OFCOM only forced the 0870 change, I still have to pay for 0845 (except to PN service)
mal0z
Grafter

It's very obvious if you look at the home page http://www.plus.net/ -
as we tell people all the time - it's always a good idea to keep an eye on your ISP's home pages -- we were doing that only yesterday I think  Wink

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That page tells you about new contracts, where does it spell out the difference for existing contracts? There's even a section on that page for Existing Customers - nothing about it in there!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
paulgul
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I voted "yes they failed but I did know", but I only knew because I had read it on these forums after the newsletter was sent out. If I wasn't a forum user I probably would not have known.
woldsend
Dabbler

I voted they failed, I found out here on the forum. Never did receive that newsletter Sad
paulgul
Rising Star

Quote from: mal0z
as we tell people all the time - it's always a good idea to keep an eye on your ISP's home pages

Well I disagree with that, whats so special about isp's, I have a BT phone line but I don't keep looking at their homepage to see if my contract details have changed, same applies to my electricty and gas suppliers. I expect to be notified by letter or email. I don't think typing out an email with details of all the changes can be that difficult or time consuming
jelv
Seasoned Hero

If you check Plusnet's terms and conditions they have to formally notify changes to contract terms.
mal0z
Grafter

One of my referral;s certainly doesn't use these forums, or even look at PN's homepage  - yet he saw first the new value contracts and then these new contract lengths and that was only by receiving the marketing email.
So something wrong somewhere - and probably because people declined marketing emails - maybe the sign up page should be more explicit that you only get a few marketing emails a year ?.
But on the mailing preference page under email settings/ Email communications preferences in the Member centre
It says
"Choose what you would like to hear about from PlusNet
We take the protection of your privacy seriously. We'll only ever use your personal information to contact you in accordance with the choices you've made below, or to tell you about any important service announcement that may affect you directly. This commitment is described in our Terms and Conditions of Use and Privacy Policy.
I would prefer not to receive electronic communications about the special offers, promotions and services available from PlusNet

Please be aware that these communications may include offers that will lower the cost of your Internet access. We advise you to check the portal website regularly for the latest announcements. "

jelv
Seasoned Hero

Nearly 25% of the people who have voted didn't know about the change and a considerable number who did know found out through membership of these forums.
It wouldn't surprise me if at least 50% of the user base don't know (given that the vast majority of users don't visit these forums).
EnglishMohican
Aspiring Pro

I would accept SimonM's view more readily if I had not just signed my Mum up to PlusNet (and with the speed problems I may regret that) and the email they sent her said it was an eighteen month contract and it was only what I had read on these forums that allowed me to disentangle the sentences about 12 months commitment on the sign up pages.
In the end I sent them a Ticket just to check that I had it right and their publicity was wrong/poor.
So I vote for "did know but only through the forums". Thank you forums.
Jim
thacky

Me too - voted failed but I knew anyway.  No newsletter, no email, good job this forum exists!
Not applicable

I didn't know despite visiting this forum and opting for receipt of information via email.
This thread has alerted me to the changes.
Never check the Plusnet home page as I don't see the need.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

they had a foul up on the last newsletter mailing, in BobWords, a few Force 9 mailings got lost, we dont know who, so have not sent them a replacement  good on you Bob
jelv
Seasoned Hero

The deception continues - it really looks as if they are trying to prevent users finding out that the 12/18 month contracts have been abolished: http://www.plus.net/support/customer_service/billing/contracts.shtml
Can everybody visiting that page click the icon at the bottom and then select the incorrect info option please.