Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I made a mistake?

mbeenham
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Have I made a mistake?

After 13+ years with Demon I migrated to PN at the end of last year.
Reason? well to be honest cost mostly and on the very few occasions I needed to contact the help desk the frustration at dealing with an Asian who I could not understand and who could not understand me...
Well, the migration went well and my domains were duly hosted without too much problem - good start!
Web site migrated without problem - great!
Thought I might try frontpage which PN *say* they support. Gave up on that after support died - what a shame...
Then I got put on Postini. No thank you - poorly thought out but in fairness retrospective fixes in the pipeline look to make it usable in due course.
However totally unacceptable to me at present so asked to be removed.
Fine - swift response but now I find that PN native XXXXX.plus.com works (which I do not use) but my hosted domains are bouncing email. In effect I am dead in the water email-wise.
Hmmmm
Have I made a BIG mistake - Demon never cocked up this big in all the time I was with them...
Not a happy migree at present...
Oh well lets wait for response from helpdesk...
At least I'm only on a 1 month contract...
11 REPLIES 11
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Have I made a mistake?

Sad
Drop me a PM early tomorrow and I'll make sure I pick this up first thing for you. I suspect a wider issue with the removal script TBH as I've seen a similar thing to this happen in the past.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Firejack
Grafter

Speaking honestly I could never recommend hosting your own website on Plusnet servers or using their Email servers for anything important. These are clearly the weakest parts of the service which Plusnet offer.
I myself moved my Email (apart from some newsletter subscriptions) and website out a few years back and am glad I did do as there have been continued problems with both the web and Email platforms.
They do appear to be moving in the direction of providing a first class services but it looks like we are some way off. Still no PHP5 in sight for example  Undecided
Everything else is great though.
Might be worth looking elsewhere for a hosting company for your Email and website with the cash you've saved switching to Plusnet for Broadband?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Firejack
They do appear to be moving in the direction of providing a first class services but it looks like we are some way off. Still no PHP5 in sight for example  Undecided

Have you seen the thread over on TBB here?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mbeenham
Rising Star

Thanks Firejack,
I think you are right and one of the reasons I migrated to PN is because they seemed to be making big efforts to improve on some past "history".
I am particualry impressed by the presence of their support staff in the forums and the willingness to own issues as evidenced by Bob's rapid response to my post (far quicker than the helpdesk) and a major culture-shift from Demon.
I am prepared to give PN a bit of leeway if they in turn address my issues. Yes, I could just put my website and email back to where it was and maybe that's the prudent thing to do but I will cut PN a little slack to get their house in order.
All I need is for them to show willing...
mbeenham
Rising Star

Cry
I could do with an update - not by email  (its still not working).
Hopefully someone is tasked with getting my email working and not puzzling over the script that disabled it in the first place. That can come after my domains are functional again - please?
Actually I've figured out why it happened (paranoid mode on):
Anyone who wants to get taken off Postini gets their email totally screwed for a couple of days so the word goes round and nobody wants to take the risk. Better losing the odd email than the lot.
C'mon - own up...
Wink
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've just spoken with the person working on this for you and it should be fixed, he's reloaded the zone file and your domain mx records have updated on our authDNS server. Sorry for the delay.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mbeenham
Rising Star

I've had no more complaints about bounced email today and all the mx records seem to be pointing to the right place.
Lips_are_sealed
Thanks for getting me off Postini.
Hopefully the move back once the appropriate controls are available will be less dramatic!
I have a question:
The spam control options in my member console - are they linked into Postini and therefore inactive as far as my account is concerned (since my email no longer goes through that loop)?
Just curious...
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: Firejack

Have you seen the thread over on TBB here?

Yes thanks Bob.  It's just a pity that such a Topic gets a better response on TBB than in the Community or PUG forums.  JELV has been particularly active for some time in pushing for a Timeline for changes.  I understand that a solution is now under discussion - but time is passing and lack of a solution will have a knock on effect on the proposed implementation of a User development area on the Community.  Most SDK's and PHP Classes are now PHP5.
An outline of planned activities would be very helpful. 

Ta.
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ianwild
Grafter

I don't think it's had a better response there - It's just more visible because there are less posts over there.
This issue is well up on our radar, and it's one I've been working on for a while from a product perspective for some time with a view to a long term fix on both this and the underlying maintenance and updates issue. That plan is quite well advanced, but for commercial reasons I can't go into detail (And we are on plan B after the original fell down at a late stage).
The actual problem of PHP5 support still remains though, in that the nature of our custom kernel (and lack of support for the .htaccess function most others have used to implement the change) makes the solution particularly tough. It's certainly not apathy stopping us from sorting PHP5 but whatever happens getting to the right solution won't be easy.
What I will do on the basis of this thread is gather some more technical details about the problem and invite feedback - I'm not too proud to welcome suggestions from anyone who has them personally!
Ian
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Whilst I don't (at present) have any use for PHP,
What was Plan A?
What benefits does/did the custom kernel give?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Ianwild
Grafter

Plan A and Plan B are similar. If plan B comes off you will appreciate why I'm being cagey about it.  Lips_are_sealed - It's nothing sinister, and you can probably read between the lines, but I hope you can appreciate that I only don't say things when there are commercial sensitivities, and here there are.
The custom kernel means we can offer the CGI service in the way we do, and keep the service secure in an environment where 10K+ users all access one platform. Giving people access to things like a proper SSH shell and loads of other stuff in a jailed, resilient way was why the decision was made to build it like we did. Remember that was done in the days when systems like Plesk and ISPconfig were significantly less mature than now, and as such there weren't any other options.
If we were to rebuild from scratch today then we would do it very differently certainly. However, as we have many thousands of live customer sites to support, rebuilding from scratch isn't the most compelling of options. It could come to that but personally I hope it doesn't, given the time that it would take to get a new solution right. As has been said, that's time we don't really have.
For now, I'll continue to work on solving the underlying problem. When I can say more, I will.
Ian