cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I hit a record?

itlity
Grafter

Have I hit a record?

I have read a warning email from PlusNet telling me that I just went over my usage limit.
Looking at my usage, I noticed that on the 4th of April, I reached a whopping 3.75GB during my "Paid-for-usage" period.
I am on BBYW Option 3, so that 3.75GB over 16 hours.
Considering that my IP profile varies between 6 and 6.5Mb/s, I am pretty sure this 3.75 number is a good evidence of both BT and PN devices availability & performance.
Roughly that would mean a combined upload and download of 60kB/s from 8h00 am till midnight, permanently. As we don't do P2P very often and certainly not that day, this 3.75GB sounds weird.
Is it some kind of mistake in the usage records or can I actually achieve that?
Would there exist anyway to cap on a day basis the usage?
Regards,
Patrice
PS: anybody reached highest day volume?
8 REPLIES 8
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Have I hit a record?

When you say that you don't use P2P very often presumably you mean that you don't download very often. Do you take steps to prevent uploads taking place at other times? Normally P2P (including iPlayer and 4oD) means that other people can be uploading from your computer at all times. Plusnet includes transfers in both directions in its totals.
itlity
Grafter

Yep I am aware this is a total for upload and download.
The ports are secured on my router and there is no P2P software running except if I explicitly run it. And there is no routable protocol active on my LAN.
Presumably no access can be made to the wireless part of the LAN as I have secured it using the MAC addresses of the PCs.
Anyway, if that would have been an external cause, why they would not have enjoyed it again and again and again?
Note the 3.75GB is about twice much as any previous maximum I have had in the past for the same period of time. A rough average daily usage for me is about 650MB -high estimate.
Patrice
itlity
Grafter

I am not that paranoid about what I do on this connection.
On the other hand, I live in the country side and we have only 4 neighbours who already have their Internet connection. So, that leaves me a possible attack from somebody parked on the road which is about 100-150 meters away from my wireless access point. Considering that this access point cannot be accessed from the other end of the house i.e. 15 meters, there is little possibility this could have happened.
Anyway, because of the value of this peak and the IP profile, that would have meant the guy(s) stay(s) a quite long time to upload or download a couple of GB: doesn't look credible to me, I mean at this location.
My point was just to know if the 3.75GB usage over that period of time is "normal".
Patrice
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

At 6Mbps, it's theoretically possible to download about 40GB in 16 hours.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

LordFox
Rising Star

Yep - accidentally left my scheduler disabled shortly after I first joined PN. Used up 20GB of my monthly 40GB between 8am (when my scheduler would have stopped it) and the time I got home at 4pm!
3.75GB in 16 hours is certainly possible.
Rick.
itlity
Grafter

So I quite far from a record then:  :)!
Rick, you mentioned a scheduler which I suppose is good for P2P control but is there any tool to cap an application or the ports used by an application?
I know my firewall can limit the usage based on time period but that does not control the actual MB usage.
Patrice
LordFox
Rising Star

I use netlimiter to limit the bandwidth an application or process can use. Unfortunately it can't be told to allow, say, 2MB of data at full speed then cap it and stop the connection.
itlity
Grafter

Thanks for info.
I guess UK is quite specific w.r.t. this usage limit and that's why there is no -?- utilities to control the usage that way. Anyway my request was not clever as if you have several PCs connected, the tool should rather run on your ADSL modem rather than on a computer.
Patrice