cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I been put onto the wrong product?

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Have I been put onto the wrong product?

Reading elsewhere in this forum, I see there's a difference between ADSL2+ and ADSL2 - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75012.0.html.
I thought I'd been put on ADSL2+ because of the increased upload speed but there has been no improvement in download speed. However, my stats are similar (apart from mode and interleaving) to what's being discussed in that post. Could it be that I too have been moved to the wrong product? I was/am signed up for BBYW Option 2. Our exchange was only recently shown to be enabled though it was supposed to be done late last year.
# adslctl info --stats
adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 1131 Kbps, Downstream rate = 4283 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode:                   ADSL2
Channel:                Fast
Trellis:                U:ON /D:ON
Line Status:            No Defect
Training Status:        Showtime
                Down            Up
SNR (dB):       10.5            6.5
Attn(dB):       29.5            14.4
Pwr(dBm):       0.0             12.8
Max(Kbps):      5592            1144
Rate (Kbps):    4283            1131
                        G.dmt framing
K:              134(0)          35
R:              0               0
S:              1               1
😧              1               1
                        ADSL2 framing
MSGc:           59              12
B:              133             34
M:              1               1
T:              1               4
R:              0               0
S:              0.9935          0.9824
L:              1079            285
😧              1               1
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
18 REPLIES 18
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Have I been put onto the wrong product?

Join the club.
You are on ADSL2 if you use about 1MHz bandwidth - the same as ADSL MAX
ADSL2+ if you have the capability to access 2MHz (approximately)
The majority of your signal will be in the bottom 1MHz anyway - but you are not going to get much speed improvement.
But you are still in training phase...

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

So what does that mean in layman's terms - the 1MHz and 2MHz bit? It went over to the faster upload speed last Monday so not much more training to go.  Sad
Have now been looking things up via google and wonder if I should have a new filter that's ADSL2+ compatible. I've not seen it mentioned anywhere here that I should get a new filter but it looks as though that might let the full speed come up.
VileReynard
Hero

There is no need for different filters - the old ones are already compatible with any kind of ADSL.
ADSL2 uses a signal that occupies roughly 1MHz of bandwidth - which is the same as ordinary ADSL.
ADSL2+ uses twice as much bandwidth.

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Thanks!
I assume then that it's the name/description of the microfilters that's been changed rather than a new improved product.
As to download speed, is the difference between the signal range used by ADSL2 and ADSL2+ caused by settings at the exchange, the quality of the line itself or something else I haven't thought of?
scootie
Grafter

which router you using?
can you log into your router and look for a setting that lets you pick which adsl mode to use and force it to sync with adsl2+.
my netgear dg834g has 4 options. auto,adsl.adsl2 and adsl2+
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

I have the Netgear DG834PN which is supposed to be ADSL2+ compatible according to the specifications.
It automatically senses the type of connection and if I set it using the wizard or not I still get the same speeds. There doesn't seem to be a way to choose which sort of ADSL you want as there is on yours.
scootie
Grafter

i wouldnt think even if it did have the options to set mode that it would solve your problem.
i asked axis-bbyw what happended in his case and seems a game of ticket tennis is in order as axis informs me that his line being stuck on adsl2 is down to BTw and the information given to him by BTw is some backend work needs doing.
snip from a ticket axis got.
I have only today
received feedback on this issue from our account manager within BT Wholesale and
they have advised they have done some backend work to try and correct the issues you
are experiencing with your service.
hope you dont mind me using that snip from your ticket axis
VileReynard
Hero

Not at all Asbo - after all it took ages for PN to succeed in getting the problem bumped up to BT Wholesale Manager level.
And it's just reared it's ugly head again, so it's a current ticket issue as well.  Cry

Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Thanks for that info both!
I added something about the low speed and it looking like ADSL2 instead of ADSL2+ to my ticket for going over to the 21CN trial. They were supposed to be replying next to the ticket last Friday but I put my first speed query in before that so maybe someone is looking into it already ........ or maybe not .........
VileReynard
Hero

It seems that this fault is still existing.
It might be better named "Why have I been put on ADSL2 instead of ADSL2+?
I'm aware of several people with his problem, but unless you are
(a) Realise the difference between the two products
and
(b) Know how to use your router stats to diagnose this
and
(c) Be ver persistent
You won't get anywhere.
PN's fault checking for 21CN is identical for ADSL MAX(ADSL1)
Since ADSL1 and ADSL2 use the same bandwidth, no errors specific to ADSL2 or ADSL2+ are ever going to be found.
It is necessary to spend about a week bouncing stuff backwards and forwards until you get the threat about sending the boys round:-
I have further tested your line, but the BT testing service has still not shown any issues with the service.
Now this does not mean there is not a fault, but the only step we have left is to escalate this issue with BT.
I must make you aware before we do this, that if BT further investigate and confirm that there is no fault, or that the issue is being caused by anything at your side, then they charge a failed fault check fee to you, which starts at £144.00 +VAT.
Please let us know if you would like this escalating further.

Since this was a re-occurence of the same fault, I was able to write:-
Can I refer you to your answer of 12/3/09 @ 14.24:-
===========================================
We are pleased to be able to inform you that a member of our Customer Support
Centre has now escalated your Question [number 27112413 ]
for further investigation.
The following comment was added to the Question
Jeremy,
Many apologies for the delay in getting an update on this issue. I have only today
received feedback on this issue from our account manager within BT Wholesale and
they have advised they have done some backend work to try and correct the issues you
are experiencing with your service. If you could let me know if you are still having
issues with the service so that we can get this further investigated for you.
I have also raised this issue with my line manager as the initial complaint i raised
for you with our account manager with BT has still not be answered.

Previously (apart from a few queries about progress reports), this was the latest stage before achieving ADSL2.

scootie
Grafter

it's a trial so things like this are going to happen.
so i would like to thank axis-bbyw and the others right now for being the guinea pig's that will improve the fault finding process on adsl2+ for all us poor soul's on currently on non WBC enabled exchanges.
@axis. have you seein an increase in your downstream atten on adsl2 compared to adsl?
i ask as there is another customer on the trial that says they where getting 6mb on adsl but from info on pn test on his line now the atten/loop loss on his adsl2/adsl2+ line is 49db and syncin at 3000ish kbps which i would of thought if they had 6mb on adsl there atten would of bein lower when they where on adsl
his upstream seems capped so i adviced him to pm jameseh and wait for that to be uncapped before going deeper into solving his problem as you never no the reorder jameseh puts in might just sort the downstream out to. anything's possable it seems with adsl2+ Roll_eyes
VileReynard
Hero

My downstream attenuation has increased from 27.5dB on ADSL MAX to 34dB on ADSL2 to 37dB on ADSL2+
This is spread over 3 routers and several months, but matches PN's "loop loss" tests.
Noise margin has been all over the place - but DMT allows me to run a stable ADSL2 connection at 3-4dB Noise Margin.
Because there is a fault, I'm not using DMT and BT are pleased to give me a 8-9dB target noise margin Cry
I expect things to go wrong on a trial - but I would also expect PN to fast track ADSL2 / ADSL2+ problems.
They don't appear to have any special diagnostics in place, other than "refer to BT Wholesale" if you push hard enough.

scootie
Grafter

8-9dB target noise margin  Cry
cheer up axis could be worse the guy in this thread has what seems to be a 15 or 18db target snr looking at his PN test's
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75166.0.html
asbo breaks into song. all ways look on the bright side of life
VileReynard
Hero

I was ecstatic to get 8-9dB - at one point I was on ADSL2+ but with a 22dB noise margin!!!
PN said there was no such noise margin Sad