cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Have I been banded?

theFlash
Grafter

Have I been banded?

To cut a long story short, I had a wiring fault in my house (someone knocked a socket), which although fixed within 24 hours, set off a chain reaction between PlusNet engineers changing settings and the local BT exchange dropping itss IP profile,  which has ended up in my download speeds dropping from the usual 7-8mb to around 2mb.
I wonder if anyone can help before I involve PlusNet directly again? I suspect that many settings were changed at the PlusNet end to try to fix, which has put things out of balance.
I include the following data. I know the line is capable of 8mb as we've had around that for the last month. I'm doing my best not to leave PlusNet, but currently the speed is not good.
TX Cells  RX Cells  TX CRC errs  RX CRC errs
23889  69119  0                      0
Mode                      State                      Up Speed  Down Speed  SNR Margin  Loop Att.
ADSL2+(G.992.5)  SHOWTIME  444937  4544000                      8                      35
PlusNet Profile reports the speed as 7.1mb !
BT Speed checker
--------------------------
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.02 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-4 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 4.01 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.37Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
9 REPLIES 9
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Have I been banded?

Just to check I can't remember from your inital posts, did you try another modem/router in the test socket?
I know Matt did an SNR reset which seemed to fix things at the time, but it looks as though you've been banded again and will need someone from Plusnet to look at it.
theFlash
Grafter

Hi,
I haven't tried another router as I am convinced that this one is fine. It all started with someone knocking the socket here, before that we were happy. The temporary issue,  then triggered a low IP Profile, meanwhile the PlusNet staff were changing settings even though I told them straight away it was a local fault which was now fixed, and they couldn't for some reason see it was a BT profile issue.

Before that, the connection was fine @ 7-8mb continually.

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yes, It's banded. I'll try lifting it and see what happens Smiley
theFlash
Grafter

Hi Joanne,
The connection was reset (remotely I presume) some 40 minutes ago and we have some improvement. Lets hope it holds and improves further!:
Uptime: 0:42:11 (remotely reset I think, up a day or so before that)
TX Cells RX Cells TX CRC errs RX CRC errs
29838 384568 0                     2
Mode                   State                   Up Speed Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
ADSL2+(G.992.5) SHOWTIME 444937 6325838                     11                   35

Download speedachieved during the test was - 5 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 5.58 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.38Mbps
Additional Information:
theFlash
Grafter

Hi
I'm afraid things have gone bad again - only this time its because BT had an issue at the exchange with the phone lines and we were disconnected several times before our phone line came back to life!
 PlusNet's profile seems to be at 4mb (usually its 7.1mb). We normally get 7-8mbs download. Details below:
TX Cells RX Cells TX CRC errs    RX CRC errs
32675 216838        0                   12
Mode                        State         Up Speed Down Speed          SNR Margin Loop Att.
ADSL2+(G.992.5) SHOWTIME 443928         6040000          10                        35

Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.32 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 5.19 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.36Mbps
Additional Information:

PusNet:
Estimated line speed:
   Not recorded (service activated before we introduced estimates).
Current line speed:
   4 Mb
theFlash
Grafter

Update: There have been some small improvements in the last hour, but nothing like we were consistantly getting:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 3.37 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 5.41 Mbps
TX Cells                         RX Cells TX CRC errs       RX CRC errs
377359                         5046410 0                     119
Mode                         State         Up Speed     Down Speed SNR Margin Loop Att.
ADSL2+(G.992.5) SHOWTIME 443928             6135958         9                 35

Uptime: 3:02:07
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi PlusNet01,
I've raised your profile to 5900 to allow for your new BT IP profile. It seems that when you were having problems our profile was reduced to 4000, but now it's back up that adjustment I made should improve your speed. The good news is that the banding didn't get re-applied so there's no restrictions in that sense. The target SNR is 9dB and it's currently 10dB. As I lifted the banding on the 4th I can't alter the SNR until the 14th. Give us a shout then if it hasn't reduced by itself.
Jojo Smiley
theFlash
Grafter

Thanks Joanne. Great service. Download now currently around 5 Mbs.
SNR is currently 9.
I do think the line supports 7-8 Mbs though as it always has done - will this self adjust in time?
Thank you.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi PlusNet01,
There's a chance we could squeeze close to 7Mbps if we get the SNR to 6dB. It can sometimes take a while for the target to drop down by itself, so if it's not changed by Monday and the line has been stable I'll try setting it for you. I'm not sure whether you're currently using the test socket but if you can I would recommend it for the best performance. Give us a nudge on Monday if you don't need us beforehand.
Jojo Smiley