cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hassle from previous broadband provider

n2o

Hassle from previous broadband provider

Hi
I moved my broadband from another ISP at the end of May using a MAC code and PlusNet have just taken the 2nd direct debit from my account.
Having noticed that my previous broadband provider was still taking direct debits from my account I cancelled the mandate. They soon picked up on this and have sent me an email requesting new payment details to avoid me having to pay penalty charges.
I have tried phoning and emailing them about this and pointed out that I have a letter from them that states that I don’t need to cancel the service as the MAC code will automatically do this for me, but they don’t seem to want to listen.
Can I forget about them and ignore any further emails or should I be concerned?
Thanks in advance for any help.
10 REPLIES 10
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Hassle from previous broadband provider

It depends on whether you were tied into a fixed term contract. If so, you may still be obliged to continue making payments.
but they don’t seem to want to listen.

Did they reply to any of these calls or mails?
Can I forget about them and ignore any further emails

Only if you are absolutely sure that you do not owe them any money. You should take all reasonable steps to ensure that the matter is cleared up properly. Write a letter to them asking for a detailed, itemised breakdown of what you owe them. Keep a copy of the letter.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you just ignore them, then the solicitors letters, county court claims, bailiffs etc start turning up. You must get them to tell you in writing what they believe you owe them AND why you owe it.
James
Grafter

I'd be concerned about any affect that this would have on your credit rating.
I'd try getting in touch with them again and if they are offshore, trying to find a UK Head Office, or something along those lines.
n2o

Hello again,
I took your advice and sent the following email along with a copy of their latest email about the £5.00 late payment charge they are imposing.
Dear XXXXXX,
I am concerned to have received the following email today.
Will you please send me a detailed, itemised breakdown of what you believe I owe you and an explanation of why you believe I owe it?
Thanking you in advance.
Yours faithfully,

And their reply

Thank you for your email.
We understand your concern.
As per the records there is an outstanding amount of #14.99 which needs to be paid , however in order to pay the amount we advise you to contact
Broadband Starter Customer Support Team on 0844 871 0079, lines are open from 7AM to 11PM, seven days a week (calls charged at 5p per minute) as we being a web  based support team have very limited access to the required tools to process your request.

They took the first direct debit on 08/12/2006 and the last one on 09/06/2008. This equates to 19 payments of £14.99 totalling £284.81.
When I phoned to ask for the MAC they sent me a letter dated 15 May stating that ‘There’s no need for you to cancel your XXXXXX Broadband contract, this process will automatically cancel it’.
I have tried talking to their Customer Support Team before and it was nothing but a waste of time and money so I don’t see the point of trying it again. I would pay the £14.99 just to avoid any further hassle, but there might be another £14.99 to pay next month and the month after, etc.
It is so annoying that they can send me harassing emails but my emails don’t get past their gate keeper.
I suppose the only thing I can do now is write to them and hope they don’t bin the letter.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: n2o
I suppose the only thing I can do now is write to them and hope they don’t bin the letter.

And don't forget to send it recorded/special delivery, so that you have proof of receipt.
geewizz
Grafter

I suggest that you check your side of the contract. make sure that the payment terms you agreed had been completed. Did you sign up for a 12 month contract within the last twelve months, for example?
If you are sure you are not owing them any money then you should contact your bank and cancel the direct debit yourself. You can then concentrate on reclaiming any amounts that have been taken in error.
If you contact them by phone, then I recommend that you sit down with a piece of paper first. Write at the top what you aim to achieve by contacting them. Then list the pertinent facts (dates, amounts etc.) and the important questions you want answered. Ask to speak to a manager. Take names and insist on getting the location and extension number for anyone you speak to. Be firm and controlled. Do not shout and, no matter how thick the person at the other end is, don't allow them to get away with saying that they don't know. Make them aware that you are holding them personally responsible for escalating the query to someone who does know.
Forget about emails. That's a bit like throwing a paper aeroplane at their office window.
It's always best to write letters though. You can take your time and make your case clearly, concisely and with less possibility of omission and misunderstandings.
Good luck. 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

If you've checked your contract and don't owe them money and they have incorrectly taken money since you cancelled, under the DD scheme you can get your bank to 'immediately' refund the amounts taken. The bank are obliged to do this. Also then cancel the DD with the bank. This will then likely bring matters to a head if they try to take any more.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

It's not Orange by any chance is it ? ( how did I guess !!)
A colleague of mine had similar problems when he left them.  He eventually sent them a recorded delivery letter as Chilly suggests. Once he had established to his satisfaction that he did not owe them any money he responded to the further demands regarding court action with another recorded delivery letter stating his position that he did not owe them anything, with an explanation why and finished with 'I'll see you in court then!!'. That sorted them, they finally agreed he did'nt owe them anything and that was the end of it!!
As you say the Customer Support line is a waste of space, do it by letter as Chilly and my colleague did and then at least you have evidence if by some chance you do actually end up in court.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I recently had a similar problem with O2  in my heritage contact was being changed and the cost would go up 100%, As  I was on Holiday in May, I phoned up a nice man who arranged every thing for me, MAC code, cease on Contract, move sim to a new phone all to take place on 31st May.
31st May way up in Scotland. old phone stopped working, new phone started.  Good Man
Made several call on way home, checked balance - no movement.
then went to bank for something, about 6th June.  they had taken out another month contract money.
After about 10 calls to O2 customer service - (on 0800 no courtesy of saynoto0870.com) they agreed they had made a complete has of it, please forget the phonecalls, please accept another £5.00 compensation.  3rd July, all money back in bank.
another good thing about O2 PAYG is that iff you top up with £10.00 per month they give you 500min free calls from your home address - thats cheaper than PN 240 min- plus I have £10.00 to spend when away from home  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cool Grin Cheesy Grin
hulls
Grafter

My wife and one of my sons are also on O2 PAYG.  They have some sort of deal, whereby if they put an amount on every month, they get free calls and / or texts.  In fact it's getting to the point, where my son is having to make use of his phone internet access to use up his credit, as almost all his calls and texts are "free".  I think he also gets free calls to his girlfriend because she's on O2 as well! (a great saving on my BT bill) Grin
John