cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has my email address been hijacked?

elementaltm
Rising Star

Has my email address been hijacked?

I've just recieved approx 20 delivery failure notice emails from my other f9 account (@jrwoledge.force9.co.uk) for spam emails (big dicks type emails!) I haven't sent?
How do I tell if someone is accessing my email account or spoofing my email address?
DM. Angry
KABOOM!
4 REPLIES 4
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Has my email address been hijacked?

This is called Backscatter and unfortunately there is little you can do about it.
Basically, a spammer has chosen to use your email domain as a return address for their spam emails.
It should subside considerably after a few hours, although you are likely to see the effects for a few days in total
B.
elementaltm
Rising Star

BS, thanks for the reply, I've never come accross Backscatter before in that context. It sounds like the sort of thing you get with a dicky tummy...  Tongue
Am I likley to get any comback with regards to getting blacklisted etc?
DM.
KABOOM!
zubel
Community Veteran

I would say that 99.99% of mail admins recognise backscatter and won't blacklist you at all for it.  Return address is usually never a factor in scoring spam.
It's a pain in the proverbial to deal with, but there should be no lasting effects.
B.
elementaltm
Rising Star

Thanks for the info.
Its worth mentioning I have turned off the 'catch all' feature under 'Manage my Mail' as outlined in a previous thread.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,2042.0.html
DM.
KABOOM!