Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone sucessfuly opened single Ports on TG582n

TORPC
Grafter

Has anyone sucessfuly opened single Ports on TG582n

As per the Title
I am trying to open Ports 8096 & 8945 respectively for the Sky Roku NowTV box so I can use Media Browser 3
[tt]Version 3.0.5115.35703
Media Browser Server is up to date
Running on ports 8096 and 8945
[/tt]
I have the TG582n with the latest ADSL Firmware V 10.2.2.B (Without USB)
I have followed all the steps from PortForward/TG582n/Default-Guide and having no luck
I have also D/loaded and installed PortForwards free Port Checker
Result
Ping Result: We were able to ping your router
Port check result: Your port is NOT OPEN or not reachable!

Is there any steps missing or different from the above instructions for the 10.2.2.B Firmware
P.S
I also do not want to open all ports (Please do not direct me to http://npr.me.uk/forwardports.html unless you can help with specific Telnet command(s) to configure the 2 Ports in question, as npr states
Do not be tempted to forward a range of IP addresses, this will break the DHCP.

Therfore I am thinking that assigning single IP addresses will technically be ok  to use ?Huh
Edit:
I have managed to get the TG582n to recognise the Roku Box Via
Home > Home Network > Devices > uuid:7F248787-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXYYXXYYXXYYXXY Overview
Devices
urn:roku-com:device:player:1-0
Information

SpecVersion: 1.0
DeviceType: urn:roku-com:device:player:1-0
URLBase: http://192.168.1.XX:XXX
FriendlyName: Roku Streaming Player
Manufacturer: Roku
ManufacturerURL: http://www.roku.com/
ModelDescription: Roku Streaming Player Network Media
ModelName: Roku Streaming Player 2400SK
ModelNumber: 2400SK
ModelURL: http://www.roku.com/
SerialNumber: 1MHXXXXX4003
UDN: uuid:7F248787-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXYYXXYYXXYYXXY
UPC:
PresentationURL:

When I go to assign the full IP including the ":" to the DMZ for testing
I get only numbers and "." are accepted box pop up & although it does accept all the IP address prior to the ":" and does enable the DMZ
Is the TG582n really capable of opening single ports ?Huh
Or
Should I give in and try different router(s) ?Huh
I do have some I can test with if need be
27 REPLIES 27
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Has anyone sucessfuly opened single Ports on TG582n

First thing to ask, is the Roku set to use DHCP or did you set a static IP address?
Also if this MediaBrowser thing is on your private network (ie not accessing from the internet) then you should not have to portforward as that's only for enabling access from elsewhere on the internet.
That's RPM to you!!
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Yes you can forward a single port.
If it's any help the following shows how to do port forward with port translation. IMO the important bit is to use DHCP to issue the IP address, do not use a static IP in the devices own settings. Also ensure you don't have the same ports already forwarded to a different device.
You don't need the port translation bit so leave the "to" field blank.
http://npr.me.uk/pf/
HTH
Edit:
Having now looked at http://www.roku.com/
I agree with RPMozley and  question the need to port forward to this device.
TORPC
Grafter

Thanks RPMozely & npr
The Sky Roku NowTV sets its own IP address automatically and no way to manually change it on the unit that I can find
Have had no luck finding where I can add the Roku IP to the TG582n although where I have set the TG582n to always use the Roku IP address
The problem is that the TG582n finds the Roku. however the Roku does not find the Media Browser server installed on PC
And it runs on ports 8096 and 8945 (hence the thinking to open the ports) The Roku box uses WiFi only for the connection

If there is a better alternative way to get them to communicate, then I am all ears
I am interested to learn more in reference to setting the Roku to use DHCP as there I can not locate any options on the Roku to do so
I will await you replies before proceeding further to open the ports
megawatts

Hi
Ive just had the same problem opening ports for my CCTV system. I did everthing that everybody and every web site  sugested, and still couldnt get it to work.
then some clever chap on a forum said in my case I also need to put into my CCTV recorder the gateway address of my router. Hey presto this worked first time and all is working ok.
This worked for me. hope it helps, also check your not blocking ports with the auto firewall.
TORPC
Grafter

Hi megawatts
Can you elaborate a bit more especially where to find the correct page(s) in the router
Does your CCTV system ask you to manually enter the server port number ?Huh
The Roku does ask to manually enter the server port number
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

If you're only using it with devices (media servers) within your own LAN then you don't need port forwarding.
"however the Roku does not find the Media Browser server installed on PC"

Sounds like it's the PC's firewall blocking access, try disabling it as a test.
If that gets it working you need to allow those ports inbound through the PC's firewall.
TORPC
Grafter

Hi Npr
It is definitely not a Windows Firewall issue
I have already ruled out the firewall
And was auto configure when MB3 was installed

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

i know you say it's not a windows firewall issue and that you have the ports set as an exception, but have to tested it with the windows firewall turned off completely?
this is definitely not a port forwarding issue you have, so you need to concentrate your investigations on the PC itself.
TORPC
Grafter

yes I had turned off windows firewall, including a reboot and its still the same
TORPC
Grafter

Thank you all for your help and support
I can confirm that after following npr's link, to forward a single port the issue is now resolved
The Roku BoX automatically found its own path after successfully opening ports 8096 & 8945 respectively

What I was overlooking was to put the 4 digits after the : within the URLBase:  http://192.168.1.XX:XXX in the Translate "to" field
Quote from: npr
Yes you can forward a single port.
If it's any help the following shows how to do port forward with port translation. IMO the important bit is to use DHCP to issue the IP address, do not use a static IP in the devices own settings. Also ensure you don't have the same ports already forwarded to a different device.
You don't need the port translation bit so leave the "to" field blank.
http://npr.me.uk/pf/
chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

internal traffic doesn't need port forwarding though, so i suspect all you needed to do what put the port after the URL, and the actual port forwarding part you did was not needed.
port forwarding is only needed for incoming external traffic.
TORPC
Grafter

@chenks76
The problem with manually imputing the full server address on both the router & the Roku Box, was the same result as the DMZ where it would not accept the full server address
Quote from: TORPC

When I go to assign the full IP including the ":" to the DMZ for testing
I get only numbers and "." are accepted box pop up & although it does accept all the IP address prior to the ":" and does enable the DMZ
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

I've just installed Media Browser 3 on my PC and on on my Roku 3 box. The install was painless with NO changes necessary to the TG582n
1) Install app on Roku 3
2) Install Media Browser 3 on PC
3) Setup media Browser 3
4) On Roku start media browser, searched for servers, it found the Media Server
5) In the menu found Movies and  selected a M4V file and played it.
It looks like by default the Roku 3 uses DHCP.
So for the Roku 3 to have a static address you need to select 'Always use the same IP Address' in Home Network >Devices >Roku Hostname > Configure
Dan.
TORPC
Grafter

@Dandroid
Which Roku box have you got as I got the NowTV LT model number 2400SK version 4.9 . build 8067 version which is limited in what can be done to / with it.
Roku live chat Thu, 1/9/2014 03:36:54 am
Thank you, Sir. I believe that it is not possible to add the Media Browser through NOW TV box since it is not available on the apps/channels supported by NOW TV. We would also like to let you know that you will not be needing a Roku account for the NOW TV since it only accepts your NOW TV account information. We apologize for the inconvenience, but I believe that this a product limitation with the NOW TV box.
For more information with regard to the apps and channels supported by the NOW TV box, you may access this link from the NOW TV website: http://images.now.nowtv.com/We…b%7D_nowtv_box_apps_131204.pdf

4) On Roku start media browser, searched for servers, it found the Media Server

Did your box do an auto search or did you have to do a manual search ?Huh
Mine done an auto search, and could not find the server
I had already set the router to have a static address & was selected to  'Always use the same IP Address' in Home Network >Devices >Serial number & Mac address of NowTV box > Configure