cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Delivery should not be rocket science

ASC

Hardware Delivery should not be rocket science

I recommended Plusnet to a friend on the other side of the country. Bad move?
The activation 'stalled' as Plusnet waited for BT confirmation of broadband activation and only moved forward after I got in touch with CS a few days after the appointment. I can accept this as a minor mistake between BT and Plusnet.
The friend in question is a PC illiterate doctor and requires internet access for work. But because of broadband activation cannot use even dialup. He doesn't have nor know about microfilters.
But a router has still not been sent out another WEEK after I got confirmation that the line was activated. I've send numerous Tickets over that week but still no confirmation that a router has been put in the post.
He cannot wait and is going into PC World to buy a router at this moment. Could someone at Plusnet please take ownership, admit your errors and sort this problem to your NEW customers satisfaction.
Oh yeh, and thanks for making me look a fool for recommending a company that can't work the Royal Mail let alone providing broadband.

17 REPLIES 17
James
Grafter

Re: Hardware Delivery should not be rocket science

Hi there,
I'd be more than happy to look into this if you could possibly let me know either a username or a ticket number associated with the account.
ASC

His username: masterpost
James
Grafter

Thank you.
I'll get back to you as soon as possible, and obviously your friend as well.
I truly am very sorry that it has taken so long.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sorry about your issue, ASC, but your friend must have been just out of luck. I recently changed my product and got my router 4 days before the activation date....
ASC

I also brought another new customer to Plusnet in the last month and everything went OK. They got their router a couple of day after activation.
I have been with Plusnet for many (8+) years and their broadband for 3 years. They have had their ups and downs but for me 99% reliable throughout. I setup a Plusnet dialup account years ago on his PC but he had no reason to get broadband through them except by my recommendation. He needs a reliable connection, but sadly this order has been a fiasco. Even before starting to use their BB he does not trust Plusnet.
I work in IT but have NEVER recommended Plusnet as for far too long pipes were being squeezed and customers fobbed off IMHU. Since the settling in period with BT my perception is that things have got better. Better, but I still did not take up the '£30 off - to stay for another year' offer. 
James
Grafter

Hiya,
I've just replied to the ticket and left a voicemail with your friend.
We've managed to get hold of BT to find out where on earth this router is and they're stating that they have not received our order.  This is despite the order showing up on our systems.
I can only apologise for any inconvenience that this has caused.
geewizz
Grafter

I'm no systems analyst but I can't believe there is no checking back on these things and ticking them off. Are there no flags (or alarms) when a customer fails to activate the service after the due date?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

We do make welcome calls to new customers just to make sure everything's OK but it's not practical for us to contact everybody given the amount of new signups we get.
We do have reports for accounts that aren't activated in a timely fashion but this wouldn't include those that have become active but not had their hardware dispatched.
The hardware ordering systems have entries on our monitoring platforms so normally where orders are missed, the issue is flagged to us.
Seems like this one slipped through the net though Sad

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: ASC
................................The friend in question is a PC illiterate doctor and requires internet access for work. But because of broadband activation cannot use even dialup. He doesn't have nor know about microfilters...................

This may need further clarification, but unless his PC has been already set up for BB, he can still use dial-up. Even then, if you know what you are doing, you can do both (but not at the same time!). You do need your dial-up modem plugged throught a filter (same as a phone), to protect the modem if nothing else.
ASC

>  This may need further clarification, but unless his PC has been already set up for BB,
His broadband was activated on the 28th of June. But the order 'stalled' on Plusnet prior to this point ie nothing further was done (sending hardware or telling the customer)
Broadband activation is a combining of two 'signals' (analogue and digital) on one line. The microfilter literally filters out the digital signal (on the tel side) as this can prevent analogue devices (fax, modem, POS) working. His modem would not make a successful connection to Plusnet. You don't 'need' a microfilter between the master socket and most routers. I've found 99% could not care less.
> Even then, if you know what you are doing, you can do both (but not at the same time!).
If you mean you cannot use dialup (ana. modem) and LAN (to router) connected to Plusnet on the same computer (or another computer) at the same time. You can; I have.
> You do need your dial-up modem plugged through a filter (same as a phone), to protect the modem if nothing else.
My friends problem is he knows nothing about technology. He received no equipment so I had to tell him what to buy to restore his dialup (or use his broadband) until Plusnet get (I'm using present tense on purpose) there act together.
The microfilters offers no 'protection'. In lightning prone areas try to plug your surge inline before a microfilter. I personally fit a lot of Onec pro, high end surge (APC, Belkin) and UPS products as lightning and surges routinely try to kill electronics where I live.
They are all a lot easier to replace than what they are connected to.
itsme
Grafter

Broadband activation is a combining of two 'signals' (analogue and digital) on one line. The microfilter literally filters out the digital signal (on the tel side) as this can prevent analogue devices (fax, modem, POS) working. His modem would not make a successful connection to Plusnet. You don't 'need' a microfilter between the master socket and most routers. I've found 99% could not care less.

Actually the digital signal is a DMT modulated analogue signals hence the reason for the filter to remove the higher frequencies to POTS devices. Some ADSL routers have internal filters fitted, i.e. Zoom range of adsl routes.
aedwards
Dabbler

The microfilter literally filters out the digital signal (on the tel side) as this can prevent analogue devices (fax, modem, POS) working.

I've found it the other way around; without a filter, using the analogue phone disconnected the ADSL connection.  That was with an old Connexant AccessRunner board, I've not tried it with anything more modern.

The microfilters offers no 'protection'. In lightning prone areas try to plug your surge inline before a microfilter. I personally fit a lot of Onec pro, high end surge (APC, Belkin) and UPS products as lightning and surges routinely try to kill electronics where I live.

I can attest to that one  >:(.  I don't know for sure it got zapped, but my old K-Corp router started continuously rebooting itself after a thunderstorm so it's likely.  Thinking about it now it probably took out the microfilter too, the new Plexus router was a lot slower than the K-Corp until I used a different microfilter.
I ought to look at putting a surge protector on it, but the router cost £18 which is probably less than a good surge protector  :D.
Having said that, I'm sure the surge protector in a UPS took out the modem on my Sky Plus box.

They are all a lot easier to replace than what they are connected to

Indeed, but I did get ADSL 2+ on the new router that the old one lacked.  I'd been toying with upgrading to get ADSL 2+ ready for it rolling out, the router getting killed forced the issue.
Alan.
ASC

To bring us back on topic:
Thank you James for your honesty. It is what customers want.
I would be most grateful for conclusive confirmation that a router is physically in the post. Not that an 'customer fulfilment request' has been logged. I've seen plenty of those.

> Actually the digital signal is a DMT modulated analogue
I spend my working life trying to state complex things in a simple way.
> Some ADSL routers have internal filters fitted, i.e. Zoom range of adsl routes.
One of the routers that had to have a microfilter inline was a BT business product (I forget model)
ASC

> Indeed, but I did get ADSL 2+ on the new router that the old one lacked.  I'd been toying with upgrading to get ADSL 2+ ready for it rolling out, the router getting killed forced the issue.
I've never considered it before! A brilliant excuse to the other half for a hardware upgrade.
I'm personally dreading BT's 21CN as it is predicted broadband may get even slower & less reliable in marginal areas. I am 16 miles (line of sight!) from my exchange.